GCS Forum: Help!My orchid leaves turning yellow - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Help!My orchid leaves turning yellow

#1 User is offline   kimmy2305 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:32 PM

Help. I bought a new orchid recently and the leaves are turning yellow.
I will post a pic shortly to help explain and for experts to id the orchid for me too.

#2 Guestphilliptan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:49 AM

Kimmy,

Do also list down the conditions you're giving it... ie. how much sunlight and for how many hours... how much watering... etc. As much as you can so we don't go swinging back and forth with "20 Questions". :lol:/>

#3 User is offline   kimmy2305 

• PipPip

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:44 AM

Just some pics on what's happening to my orchid. Appreciate if someone can ID it.

Orchid

Conditions:
1. water once a day
2. expose to indirect sunlight cos I put in the middle of the corridor Position of Orchid
3. fertilise once a week with a spray

This post has been edited by kimmy2305: 26 September 2007 - 09:49 AM

#4 Guestphilliptan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hi Kimmy... it's not usual for the new leaves to turn yellow. Have you been pouring water all over the orchid? In the first pic, it looks like water has been collecting on the leaves and the area is starting to turn black and rot. Do water only the roots. Many plants do not respond well to water on their leaves/blooms.

Your orchid is a Dendrobium and it's difficult to correctly ID the plant especially since the pic is not very clear. There are also too many unregistered hybrids so it adds to the difficulty. This one looks similar to Dendrobium 'Sakura Pink' or Dendrobium 'Toh Pink'.

#5 User is offline   limxuanhong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids: Bulbos, Den, Paph, phrag, terrestials, Nepenthes, Tillandsia, CPs
    Also, Aroids, Gesneriads: AVs and Episcias, Ant plants
    Fish Rearing and breeding

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

I'd say that the plant is not getting enough light and thus its poor health. Dend. often do not get enough light in corridors if there is no direct sun shining in. I'm facing the same problem too.

ANother problem i think is that the root system may not be good, hence the shrivelled skinny pseudobulbs. Allow new roots to grow and do not overwater. The yellowing leaves may be a symptom of the root problem ie rot

#6 User is offline   kimmy2305 

• PipPip

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

Hmm.. don't think it's water on the leaves cos I only water the roots. Will try repositioning my Dend to get more light and see.

#7 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

yours plant look like those that can dump in full sunlight.

#8 User is offline   boonboon 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

Invest in a plant rack so that the rim of your orchid pot is in line with the parapet. Do not place the pot on the ground as the stagnant water collected at the base of the pot after each watering could not be evaporated off thereby causing roots rots to your orchid. Your orchid needs about 3-4 hours of direct morning sun to grow well. Fertilise only when your plant is in active growth. You should stop fertilise now and try to give it more light to encourage new growths.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users