GCS Forum: How plants get their nutrients - is this true? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

How plants get their nutrients - is this true? Any scientific person can answer this?

#1 User is offline   Shireen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:10 PM

This is what I read while browsing the web:

"Plants do not take their nutrients from the soil. No plant takes its nutrients from the soil. Plants get their nutrients from the fungus in the soil. Thus, although the plant looks as though it is getting its nutrients from fertilization, it actually is not. The fungus is getting its food from fertilization and the plant is getting it's food from the fungus."

Is this correct?? If this is true, then why do hydroponics and other soilless methods work?

#2 User is offline   limxuanhong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids: Bulbos, Den, Paph, phrag, terrestials, Nepenthes, Tillandsia, CPs
    Also, Aroids, Gesneriads: AVs and Episcias, Ant plants
    Fish Rearing and breeding

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

Hm, I know fungus does help the plant in absorbing nutrients, but not sure about the fact that plants do not obtain nutrients directly.

#3 User is offline   Ifurita 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

It may have something to do with how the site defines "nutrients". If it includes minerals, then its pure crap, since those are taken up directly by the plant. However, if the site's definition is very limiting to only certain compounds, then it may possibly be true.

Of course, I'd better say that this is my personal opinion from what I know and believe to be true, because there are those on the forums who don't believe in science and would claim that if what they think contradicts scientific proof, then they're right and science is wrong...and these people are liable to take offence at what I'm saying.

This post has been edited by Ifurita: 01 September 2007 - 08:37 PM

#4 Guestphilliptan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:42 AM

I've read this paper... http://www.ias.ac.in/resonance/July1998/pd...y1998p45-52.pdf

Plants absorb the nutrient ions directly through, believe it or not, an electrical process. I've read it and based on my understanding, an enzyme H+ATPase provides the positive charge (called a transmembrane potential) to attract the nutrients (which are all ions with negative charges, like nitrate and sulphate). The potential helps the negative ions to make the jump past the membranes.

In addition, there are also openings in the membrane which allows specific ions to go through, like K+, Ca+ and also water.

So, nothing I've read shows anything abt a fungus.

We do have an expert here in GCS, whose paper on fungal fatty acid catabolism I've read (not exactly fun stuff...). Maybe I can consult her...

#5 User is offline   Shireen 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

View Postphilliptan, on Sep 2 2007, 11:42 AM, said:

I've read this paper... http://www.ias.ac.in/resonance/July1998/pd...y1998p45-52.pdf

Plants absorb the nutrient ions directly through, believe it or not, an electrical process. I've read it and based on my understanding, an enzyme H+ATPase provides the positive charge (called a transmembrane potential) to attract the nutrients (which are all ions with negative charges, like nitrate and sulphate). The potential helps the negative ions to make the jump past the membranes.

Read the link and the paper certainly makes the whole process sound quite mechanistic. It's beginning to appear like what I read earlier is some sort of fringe belief.

This post has been edited by Shireen: 02 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users