GCS Forum: Gerbera photos and questions - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Gerbera photos and questions

#1 Guestphilliptan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hey all,

Last weekend I was at World Farm and shot these Gerberas. I love Gerberas but I don't seem to know how to take care of them... :(/> The two that I had died on me within a week. What are the conditions required? I believe they can be grown indoors?

Thanks in advance. :flowers:/>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/philliptan/ptsplants/gerbera1_sml.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/philliptan/ptsplants/gerbera2_sml.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/philliptan/ptsplants/gerbera3_sml.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/philliptan/ptsplants/gerbera4_sml.jpg

#2 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:29 PM

Hey Phil

They actually prefer to have direct sunlight. I grow mine in full sun but I did acclimatise them first. I feed them with a balanced fertiliser once a week. I have some pots where the original plant has grown so huge that they can be seperated into several plants.

Cheers
Sean

#3 Guestphilliptan_*

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Sean.

Can they be grown under lights in airconditioning? If grown under direct sunlight, are they ok with rain? Will it cause rot? Is it ok to water from the top? How often should I water? Sorry for all the questions... really want to make it work.

#4 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

Hey Phil

If you plan to grow them under lights in airconditioning, you have to make sure that you mist the leaves often else you may get spider mites. The number one cause of death for Gerberas are spider mites. However they do prefer warmer conditions then those provided in airconditioning.

If they are grown outside in direct sunlight, they are ok with rain but just have to make sure they have proper ventilation to dry out the crown. You can water from the top but also follow the same rule. You can water them everyday especially if you are growing them in direct sunlight.

Cheers
Sean

#5 Guestphilliptan_*

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

Alright, excellent!

Thank you again for your help and advice, Sean. Very much appreciated. :)/>

#6 User is offline   sasa 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Diving, Mountain climbing

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

Hi Philip,

Sorry for the late msg, just wana share how I water my gerbera (pink flowers). I had my gerbera placed next to the corridor ledge and I only mist the leaves thoroughly twice a day. They seem to like the heat. No watering on the soil part only the leaves and they look really good for me. New shoots sprouted up but no flowers yet.

I apply seaweed fertilizers and some rose fertilizers to the soil forenightly. So far so good.. I keep my fingers crossed.. :P/>

Cheerio
sasa ;รพ

#7 Guestphilliptan_*

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

Sasa,

Thank you so much for sharing. Unfortunately, my Gerbera died a month after the posts above. I will not be trying it in the near future as my indoor growing condition does not give it enough light which I know they require.

#8 User is offline   dearclover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:45 PM

I love these flowers!! But have not grown them before. I just bought 2 pots from FEF. Will try my hand at growing them and let you guys know if I'm successful. It's a real pretty plant. :)/>

#9 User is offline   ArborVitae 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

hi all... just want to know... are gerberas tropical plants? i saw my neighbour leaving her gerbera outside in open. in fact the spot she left the plant received full noon and evening sun and the Gerb bloomed!

#10 User is offline   lucy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

View PostArborVitae, on Sep 16 2009, 11:09 PM, said:

hi all... just want to know... are gerberas tropical plants? i saw my neighbour leaving her gerbera outside in open. in fact the spot she left the plant received full noon and evening sun and the Gerb bloomed!

It is from Africa.

I had the plants before.
First time I bought, I put under shade.
The flower got leggy, the stem could not even stand up.
Next one, I put under direct sunlight. It was very happy there.
Too bad I was too busy to take care of it then. So in the end, it passed away :(/>

#11 User is offline   Jeremy747 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:01 AM

I think they will do better in stronger sunlight here. But they have to be slowly acclimatised to being put in direct strong sun.

As a young kid in the late seventies, I remember we had some gerberas growing in direct sun in our garden. The flowers were about 6-7cm diameter at most (small compared to present day ones). But it flowers very regularly. We did not water it any more often than the other plants, but it was planted on the ground (ie not in any pot).

The main problems I have with mine now are :

1. Not enough sunlight
2. They need quite a lot of water

Which can lead to the plant suffering from some form of rot.

#12 User is offline   dxgn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:gardening

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:52 AM

Are they also known as Gerbera daisies?

Cheers,
Jet

View PostJeremy747, on Sep 17 2009, 11:01 AM, said:

I think they will do better in stronger sunlight here. But they have to be slowly acclimatised to being put in direct strong sun.

As a young kid in the late seventies, I remember we had some gerberas growing in direct sun in our garden. The flowers were about 6-7cm diameter at most (small compared to present day ones). But it flowers very regularly. We did not water it any more often than the other plants, but it was planted on the ground (ie not in any pot).

The main problems I have with mine now are :

1. Not enough sunlight
2. They need quite a lot of water

Which can lead to the plant suffering from some form of rot.

#13 User is offline   tropicana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

The ones i have are very fussy. One plant can stand the hot afternoon sun provided it gets water in the morning. The flower is the simpler single petal type.

The other two cannot stand direct sun. Put it outside for less than one hour and the flowers will fall and the stem will break. It looks a mess. These are the multi layer type.

Also they cannot stand too much water. Killed some few years ago when it was raining every day.

This post has been edited by tropicana: 21 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

#14 User is offline   pebble 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:AV, Episcia, foliage plants, edibles

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

View Postdxgn, on Sep 17 2009, 11:52 AM, said:

Are they also known as Gerbera daisies?

Cheers,
Jet

I think they are also called African daisies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users