GCS Forum: Interested in gingers... - GCS Forum

• 2 Pages +

Interested in gingers...

#21 User is offline   light bulb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:57 PM

Hi there... The one in the small zip lock is the one that requires higher humidity, and it's Globba schomburgkii... The other one with variegated leaves is Kaempferia gilberti... What i would suggest is shade with high humidity, good ventilation but do not expose them to the full blast of the wind, as that might reduce the humidity significantly...

Cheers,
Light bulb

View PostNeverend, on Mar 5 2007, 10:06 PM, said:

I just got a few ginger cuttings from light bulb, I can't remember the names already, but I remember that one of them requires more humidity.

Since I don't any experience in growing gingers, can you guys tell me what I should look out for to keep it alive generally (e.g light, humidity, watering)?

#22 User is offline   Neverend 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

View Postlight bulb, on Mar 5 2007, 10:57 PM, said:

Hi there... The one in the small zip lock is the one that requires higher humidity, and it's Globba schomburgkii... The other one with variegated leaves is Kaempferia gilberti... What i would suggest is shade with high humidity, good ventilation but do not expose them to the full blast of the wind, as that might reduce the humidity significantly...

Cheers,
Light bulb

After putting them in soil last night, they've now collapsed! I've given them quite a lot of water, yet the whole stalk is droopy and weak, what should I do? :(/>

#23 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

are gingers prone to pests like scales and mealy bugs?

#24 User is offline   light bulb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

Try to seal them into a ziplock bag to increase humidity... They should revive after some time....

Cheers,
light bulb

#25 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:28 PM

View PostdeTengs, on Mar 6 2007, 08:52 PM, said:

I've seen root mealy bugs on rhizomes for calatheas & zingibers.

deTengs, Whenever I dig up my costus speciosus - I see white powdery stuff on the roots - at first, I though they were root mealies, but on closer examination they look more like fungus threads. But they don't seem to affect the plant in anyway. Would you know what they are, and if they're actually harmful?

#26 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

View Postmm, on Mar 6 2007, 11:28 PM, said:

deTengs, Whenever I dig up my costus speciosus - I see white powdery stuff on the roots - at first, I though they were root mealies, but on closer examination they look more like fungus threads. But they don't seem to affect the plant in anyway. Would you know what they are, and if they're actually harmful?

I would just leave them. microrhizza are beneficial to the plant. they help break down alot of substances for easier uptake by the roots.

root mealies are usually found in pot culture.

#27 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:00 AM

View Postislaverde, on Mar 7 2007, 08:40 AM, said:

I would just leave them. microrhizza are beneficial to the plant. they help break down alot of substances for easier uptake by the roots.

Thanks. So that's what they are. Have heard about microrihizza - but never got around to finding out more.

View Postislaverde, on Mar 7 2007, 08:40 AM, said:

root mealies are usually found in pot culture.

I once discovered a whole load of them on the rootball of a hedychium coronarium that was grown in in one of those black growing bags. I just plonked the whole thing into the ground, sprinkled some carbofuran granules on top, and the plant's doing great now.

#28 User is offline   Neverend 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

View Postlight bulb, on Mar 6 2007, 11:18 PM, said:

Try to seal them into a ziplock bag to increase humidity... They should revive after some time....

Cheers,
light bulb

Just did so and they sprang back to life, however the Kaempferia gilbertii is yellowing sadly :(/>

#29 User is offline   light bulb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:02 PM

View PostNeverend, on Mar 7 2007, 06:03 PM, said:

Just did so and they sprang back to life, however the Kaempferia gilbertii is yellowing sadly :(/>

I see... Not all the leaves were yellowing right? Probably it's in the process of adapting, should do fine cos it's a pretty hardy plant...

Cheers
Light bulb

#30 User is offline   Neverend 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

I can't believe it... the block cleaner threw my Globba schomburgkii away! I shouldn't have left it outside there! :hitmyself:/>

#31 User is offline   deTengs 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:16 PM

View PostNeverend, on Mar 9 2007, 06:58 PM, said:

I can't believe it... the block cleaner threw my Globba schomburgkii away! I shouldn't have left it outside there! :hitmyself:/>

:hysterical:/> sorry, but it's real funny!! Another new problem to lookout for when growing gingers. Plants are so weeny and packed with such TLC that it's mistaken for rubbish!

#32 User is offline   light bulb 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:13 AM

Aiya i see if i can find another plantlet to pass you lar.... :D/>

#33 User is offline   Neverend 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

View Postlight bulb, on Mar 10 2007, 03:13 AM, said:

Aiya i see if i can find another plantlet to pass you lar.... :D/>

Lol thanks, but I really suggest that you keep it first lah, wait till it's more mature then pass to me, I seem to be a plantlet killer :P/>

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users