GCS Forum: Hand Pollination of tomatoes, bitter gourds and okra? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Hand Pollination of tomatoes, bitter gourds and okra?

#1 User is offline   tempest_magix 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

View Postwilson, on Jan 5 2007, 05:55 AM, said:

Hi tempest magix,

Male flowers are there to give the pollen required for pollination and once their time is up, they will fall off. The female flowers got to be pollinated in order for fruits to form.

Hope that helps,

Wilson :flowers:/>

thanks for the valuable info. is it the same as tomatoes, bitter gourds and ocra? Do i have to hand pollinate this as well?? many thanks

#2 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:56 PM

View Posttempest_magix, on Jan 5 2007, 12:33 PM, said:

thanks for the valuable info. is it the same as tomatoes, bitter gourds and ocra? Do i have to hand pollinate this as well?? many thanks

Hi tempest_magix,

If you are growing your plant outdoors, there shouldn't be a problem with pollination since there will be natural pollinators who will be at work during the day.

I usually do not face a problem with fruit setting of okra (lady's fingers), indoors and outdoors.

As for tomatoes, you may want to follow the suggestions in the previous topics posted in this forum. What I do is to just give the tomato vine a slight shaking to aid pollination. If you have many plants, it is not easily to go pollinate every flower cluster.

As for bittergourd, you may find the need to do so sometimes. Look for the male flower which has no "fruit" behind the petals and then strip off the petals. Brush the pollen-laden anthers of the male flower with the stigma of the female flower, which has a little fruit behind the petals.

Hope that helps,

Wilson

#3 User is offline   tempest_magix 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

View Postwilson, on Jan 5 2007, 01:56 PM, said:

Hi tempest_magix,

If you are growing your plant outdoors, there shouldn't be a problem with pollination since there will be natural pollinators who will be at work during the day.

I usually do not face a problem with fruit setting of okra (lady's fingers), indoors and outdoors.

As for tomatoes, you may want to follow the suggestions in the previous topics posted in this forum. What I do is to just give the tomato vine a slight shaking to aid pollination. If you have many plants, it is not easily to go pollinate every flower cluster.

As for bittergourd, you may find the need to do so sometimes. Look for the male flower which has no "fruit" behind the petals and then strip off the petals. Brush the pollen-laden anthers of the male flower with the stigma of the female flower, which has a little fruit behind the petals.

Hope that helps,

Wilson

Thank you very much for the information. One last thing, can i say i can leave the ocra alone(i'm planting it indoor and not much bees or insects)? Also what is the general germination period of the different kind of seeds. I saw from one thread that the tomato seeds started to germinate just after 2 days. Mine is already 5 days and still no signs. What is the best way to germinate seeds.

thanks again

#4 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:42 PM

View Posttempest_magix, on Jan 5 2007, 02:11 PM, said:

Thank you very much for the information. One last thing, can i say i can leave the ocra alone(i'm planting it indoor and not much bees or insects)? Also what is the general germination period of the different kind of seeds. I saw from one thread that the tomato seeds started to germinate just after 2 days. Mine is already 5 days and still no signs. What is the best way to germinate seeds.

thanks again

Hi there,

Yes probably. As far as I know, a long time back when I grew okra at my highrise apartment, the plants set fruit without problems even though there aren't natural pollinators.

Off-topic reply - Pertaining to the seed germination question, I shall answer here. But do start a new topic next time for this purpose since the question differs from the current topic, so that we do not go off-topic.

Seeds' germination depends on a lot of factors. If your soil isn't too clean, the seeds may get infected with fungi that will prevent germination from taking place. Also, if the seed quality isn't too good, rate of germination will also be low.

Wilson

#5 User is offline   tempest_magix 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:46 PM

View Postwilson, on Jan 5 2007, 02:42 PM, said:

Hi there,

Yes probably. As far as I know, a long time back when I grew okra at my highrise apartment, the plants set fruit without problems even though there aren't natural pollinators.

Off-topic reply - Pertaining to the seed germination question, I shall answer here. But do start a new topic next time for this purpose since the question differs from the current topic, so that we do not go off-topic.

Seeds' germination depends on a lot of factors. If your soil isn't too clean, the seeds may get infected with fungi that will prevent germination from taking place. Also, if the seed quality isn't too good, rate of germination will also be low.

Wilson

Many thanks

#6 User is offline   snowee 

• PipPip

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:09 PM

View Postwilson, on Jan 5 2007, 01:56 PM, said:

Hi tempest_magix,

Hope that helps,

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

do you mean when the bittergound starts flowering, if its a female, there should be a "fruit" already behind the petal? Mine is flowering now, but of the 3 flowers i have, they look alike. Not very sure what u mean by "fruit"... hee... do you have a photo to show whats the diff btwn a male and a female flower?

:flowers:/>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users