GCS Forum: Rojak flower - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Rojak flower

#1 User is offline   greennature 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:51 AM

Can I ask the ginger experts what I need to do to get my rojak ginger plant to flower? It has been in a pot for 2 years and still no flowers. Don't want to plant it in the ground unless absolutely necessary as it is such a big plant. It does look attractive in the pot though.

#2 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

View Postgreennature, on Sep 19 2006, 11:51 AM, said:

Can I ask the ginger experts what I need to do to get my rojak ginger plant to flower? It has been in a pot for 2 years and still no flowers. Don't want to plant it in the ground unless absolutely necessary as it is such a big plant. It does look attractive in the pot though.

How wide is the pot? Etilengeras need rich soil and a big area to 'prosper'. I NOT EXPERT, so hope u dun mind I share personal experience? I tried growing them in pots before and they never flowered, even after I put them in dustbin tubs of 0.6m Diam. If yours look attractive enough in the pot, leave it lar. They would slowly grow smaller smaller to suit their growing area, but I doubt if they would flower. Mine never did and I had them like for 5-6 years!. The leaves were beautiful. I had the pure white, pink and the dark red flowering varieties which had silvery, whitish and greenish-red leaves. The dark red variety can become miniaturised, but no flower.

I have since moved them to my church ground and the plants are now 4m tall and spreading. They flower very well in the ground.

If you really dun want to move them, try feeding them with a more K fertilizers to curtail vegetative growth and promote flowering. Try NPK 12:12:17. But dun put too close to the growing tips. Good Luck!

This post has been edited by hunkebun: 19 September 2006 - 05:48 PM

#3 User is offline   greennature 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hi Hunkebun, thanks for your quick reply. At least now you have confirmed that it will probably not flower in the pot. My friend has them in her garden and they flower readily. But as you mentioned, they are so tall!! Will try to feed them more K fertilisers.

#4 User is offline   furby 

• PipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

Hi greenature, do you know where I can get rojak flower? I have seen pics of it and think they are beautiful
Thanks

#5 User is offline   chongren 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:There are a few groups of plants I am mainly interested in, and my attention drifts from group to group. Orchids, Heliconias, Gingers, Tillandsia, Bromeliads.<br /><br />Orchids:<br />Cattleya alliance: Brassavola, Encyclia, Epidendrum, Prosthechea, Caularthron, Schomburgkia species;<br />Others: Bulbophyllum, Dendrobium, Vanda, Phalaenopsis, Rhynchostylis, Kingidium, Spathoglottis, Arundina species;<br />Hybrids: Cattleya and Dendrobium alliances;<br /><br />Bromeliads: Neoregelia, Aechmea, Billbergia, Cryptanthus;<br /><br />Gingers: Etlingera, Hedychium, Alpinia, Curcuma;

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

You can try World Farm. They have them in pink, red and white. But they won't be flowering when you purchase them, of course, so you gotta take a bit of care to make sure you're getting the right variety.

chong ren

#6 User is offline   greennature 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:24 AM

No idea which nursery sells them. I got mine from my friend who has a huge garden. Take note that it will probably not flower in the pot and it is quite a huge plant if you grow it in the ground. It is however quite an attractive plant even in the pot.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users