http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/mubaraka/f27a9218.jpg

#2 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

Hi smyl,

I am currently growing this ornamental banana. Quite interesting little fella, as I notice after the inflorescence fade, the entire pseudostem just collapses!

I do not know whether mine's behaving normally know. Does yours do the same thing too?

Flowers are like fire torches and last pretty long.

Wilson :)/>

#3 User is offline   deTengs 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

View Postwilson, on Oct 10 2007, 10:39 PM, said:

... I notice after the inflorescence fade, the entire pseudostem just collapses!

I do not know whether mine's behaving normally know. Does yours do the same thing too?

Wilson :)/>

Hi Wilson,
All musas are like that. Once the terminal inflorescence is spent, the pseudostem will die off. Next generation shoots will have developed by then. In plantations, the huge pseudostem of banana 'trees' are cut down once the bunch of bananas is harvested.

1 'tree', 1 bunch. So next time we eat a banana, think of the huge pseudostem behind it.

Pseudostems that are fell will be left on the plantation grounds to return ~20%? of the nutrients back to the soil.

There's a particular ensete that is famous - ie one tree, 4 bunches....wanna guess the name? :)/>

cheers,
detengs

#4 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

View PostdeTengs, on Oct 11 2007, 05:13 PM, said:

Hi Wilson,
All musas are like that. Once the terminal inflorescence is spent, the pseudostem will die off. Next generation shoots will have developed by then. In plantations, the huge pseudostem of banana 'trees' are cut down once the bunch of bananas is harvested.

1 'tree', 1 bunch. So next time we eat a banana, think of the huge pseudostem behind it.

Pseudostems that are fell will be left on the plantation grounds to return ~20%? of the nutrients back to the soil.

There's a particular ensete that is famous - ie one tree, 4 bunches....wanna guess the name? :)/>

cheers,
detengs

Hi deTengs,

I see my M. coccinea's pseudostem fall down very soon after the bracts all fade. Never expected it to go so fast, compared to M. laterita and others.

Do enlighten me and others the unique Ensete species you mentioned just now.

Wilson

#5 User is offline   deTengs 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

U can check out "Mahoi". Normally 2 - 3 bunches but I've heard of someone getting a 4th on the same 'tree'. Just like striking 4D.
Here's another interesting link to share: http://www.worldwide...com/bananas.htm

#6 User is offline   SonyaSz 

• Pip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

yes I'm growing this beauty - in a fairly new garden, I managed to find one to buy, enjoyed one wonderful burst of flowers and now still waiting for more new growth. Any suggestions on best fertilizer etc to encourage rapid growth?

#7 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:08 AM

View PostSonyaSz, on Mar 11 2008, 10:21 PM, said:

yes I'm growing this beauty - in a fairly new garden, I managed to find one to buy, enjoyed one wonderful burst of flowers and now still waiting for more new growth. Any suggestions on best fertilizer etc to encourage rapid growth?

Hi Sonya,

Bananas benefit from generous amounts of organic fertiliser. Compost and pelleted, processed manure are all suitable. You should also apply a layer of mulch over the root zone of bananas for best effect.

Wilson

#8 User is offline   grammatophyllum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:44 PM

View Postwilson, on 12 March 2008 - 07:08 AM, said:

Hi Sonya,

Bananas benefit from generous amounts of organic fertiliser. Compost and pelleted, processed manure are all suitable. You should also apply a layer of mulch over the root zone of bananas for best effect.

Wilson

Hi wilson.
May i know if u give this musa coccinea full sun or not?Cos mine is under full sun.The leaves are slightly yellowish,with a little browning at the edges.Should i change a spot?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users