Getting Rid of Fruit Flies

#1 User is offline   matthew1381 

• Cacti Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cacti & Succulents,Roses,
    Vegetables & Fruits

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

Fruit flies are real pests in the fruit orchard garden as they lay their eggs in ripening fruit. These eggs become worms that eventually spoil the fruit.

There are many ways to get rid of fruit flies.

Depending on the level of infestation, the best method would be to spray the whole tree with
Malathion or Rogor - at least 3 weeks before harvesting the fruits. The spraying must be done at an early stage before the whole crop can be affected.

How do you know if you got fruit flies before it is too late ?
Well, you can catch them using a home made fruit fly catcher:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Matthew1381/My%20Fruit%20Garden/tn_PICT0001.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Matthew1381/My%20Fruit%20Garden/tn_PICT0002.jpg

Drill holes at the top all around the soft drink plastic bottle as per illustration (about 5-6 holes). Use yellow coloured electric insulation tape around the bottle. The yellow colour (only yellow) attracts the fruit flies.
Stir up a cocktail of protein material like marmite and add insecticide and pour a small portion of the mixture
into the bottle about half inch full. Some people use even urine as the protein material, but I suggest marmite better. Tie bottle on tree using soft garden wire.

Make a few bottles and tie on tree.

The flies will go into the bottle via the holes you have drilled as they are attracted to the colour and to the smell of the protein. Once inside, they are stupid, cannot get out and eventually will drown in the mixture
and be killed by insecticide.

After one week, especially when you have fruits on tree, inspect the bottle to see whether got flies - if yes,
then suggest better spray the whole tree as cannot catch every fly with this method.

I use these bottles on my peaches,nectarines and plums and apples etc with good success.

Try it !! - Rgds

#2 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

:D/> Matthew,

I tried something similar when I used to have mango trees many years ago, but without much success.

The only difference was that instead of the protein bait, I used a type of commercially available pheromone liquid (from the then govt operated nurseries).

The only thing I couldn't quite figure out was whether by putting the bait, I was actually attracting more fruit flies than if I had left it alone - because I got lots of fruit flies in the bottles, but the mangoes still got infected. :angry:/> Or maybe I should have sprayed as well, which I was loathe to do.

Maybe your marmite based bait has the right balance of strength and range, to attract fruitflies only within range of the fruit, and not those beyond. :D/> :D/>

#3 User is offline   matthew1381 

• Cacti Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Cacti & Succulents,Roses,
    Vegetables & Fruits

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:07 PM

Possibly so, as you mentioned range and potency is limited to nearby. I use it mainly as an indicator of the present of fruit flies rather than as a fruit fly eradicator. I prefer to spray the whole tree then, otherwise there is really no 100 pct foolproof way I think to get rid of them otherwise.

So long as it's about 3 weeks before harvesting and your washing the ripened fruit before you eat, guess it should be okay.

I have only probelms with my stone fruits where skin is thinner. Mangoes pose no probelms, but maybe my mango is of a thicker skin variety :rolleyes:/>

Rgds

#4 User is offline   greennature 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

Although I have wrapped my papayas with plastic bags with holes for drainage, there is still some damage by the fruit flies. I was thinking of using the above method to attract fruit flies using a commercial available pheromone liquid (methyl eugenol) from the nurseries. However, in view of the dengue fever outbreaks here, I was thinking of adding some neem oil and soapy water or white summer oil and water in the botle to kill any mosquitoes if any that might be attracted to the trap.

I was wondering if this would work.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users