GCS Forum: Money Plant - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Money Plant

#1 User is offline   darwinkoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:57 PM

I have always thought the common "money plant" which most of us are familiar with is the "Heartleaf Philodendron". Now then I realise it is actually another species, known as "Devils Ivy" or "Golden Pothos".
So what is the actual difference between the 2 other than 1 is pure green while the other is variegated. When I see a pure green money plant, can I assume that it is actually a "Heartleaf Philodendron" and not "Golden Pothos"? Is "Heartleaf Philodendron" common found in Singapore?

Thanx

#2 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:27 AM

Hi Darwin,

The heartleaf Philodendron is relatively common here and its species name is oxycardium. Although Philodendron and the money plant (Scindapsus or also syn. Epipermnum) are very closely related, they are not the same.

There are several cultivars of the money plant, also known as Devil's Ivy and Golden Pothos but I have yet to see a pure green money plant. Most of the really dark green ones are a result of the variegated ones seriously deprived of light. They are not Philodendrons.

#3 User is offline   darwinkoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:16 AM

Hi Wilson,

Any particular features different between those 2? i.e. if a Golden Pothos and a Heartleaf Philoendrons are put side-by-side, how can I tell which is which other than their colours?
I understand that some plants, eg. Dwarf Umbrella Plant, lose their variegated colour due to different light condition. That's why when I initially see the picture of a Heartleaf Philoendron, I assume it's a variety of the common money that has lose its variegated colour. Only recently then I realise I am wrong...
I am seeing a light green 'money plant' being sold at a nearby 'Cold Storage'. By its side is the common variegated money plant. They are priced the same. The light green one have shorter vines and leaves are glossier. Its heart-shaped leaves are 'sharper' but of similar thickness with its variegated neighbour. I believe they are the 'same' but my wife think otherwise. :hammer:

Thanx

#4 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

Sometimes it is confusing for me to know whether a plant is a Philo, Scin ... . Scin plants are very funny they start life as herbaceous trailers or clingers and can grow up to become woody vines. Ground leaves can b 1cm size but can be almost 2 feet long when they reach the treetops, split like Monstera leaves! Any recommended reading or studies done on this plant?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users