Page 1 of 1

Emerse / semi-submersed Cryptocoryne

#1 User is offline   hongrui 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Nepenthes spp, Droserae, Bulbophyllums, Dendrobiums

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:11 PM

i do not know if this is under the correct topic or not, but does anyone has any experience with growing crypts emersed or semi-submersed? care to share?

i've got some C. wendtii growing submersed in my aquarium and i thought maybe i can try growing them emersed and maybe get them to flower for me. :grin:

#2 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

hi hongrui...

i do not grow crypts but would like to start one after i came across a website of crypts in habitat. Do u know where i can find collector's range of crypts species?

#3 User is offline   hadi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:orchids, aquascaping, gesneriads, roses, cute animals

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:05 PM

Can la, my dad owns a small aquatic plants farm and he grows the cryps mostly emersed.

Can drastically reduce the water level, then the new leaves will grow emersed when the plant is ready to.

#4 User is offline   hongrui 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

hi prana, i buy/order my crypts from a fishshop near chongpang. They have a book from Oriental plant farm or something from which i can pick and choose my orders from. Where abouts do you stay? i know of one or 2 fishshops here and there and hopefully i can point you towards one. :happy:

Alternatively you may want to try going to www.aquaticquotient.com, sometimes various crypts are put up for sale in the marketplace. Those crypts are usually grown submerged tho.

thanks hadi, for the information!

#5 User is offline   LawrenceLee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Fish, fishing and aquatic plants.

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:03 PM

prana said:

Do u know where i can find collector's range of crypts species?

Check out this posting on the Aquatic Quotient website. http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showt...ead.php?t=21076
The mail order compny is pricing his crypts so low it's cheaper than what some hobbyists are asking for.

Another place to look for crypts is from The Green Chapter. It's at Clementi 354.

#6 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:42 PM

Hi hongrui and lawrence

Thank U very much for the wonderful leads. Growing any crypts species? Are they hard to grow? I read that they dont like any changes in the water condition...

#7 User is offline   hongrui 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:56 PM

thanks lawrence for the information, you're making my heart itch. :grin:

I currently have C. wendtii 'Brown', 'Green' and 'Mi Oya', C. parva, C. walkeri and C. beckettii grown submersed in 3 planted aquariums. I'm currently attempting to convert some C. wendtii 'Brown' and 'Mi Oya' and some C. walkeri into their emersed form. 3days now, so far so good, and i'm keeping my fingers crossed. :happy:

They are not very hard to grow but i've found that they're heavy bottom feeders and thus a 'nutritious bottom' helps greatly.

As for the water conditions, I can't comment, as i've kept mine fairly constant (for the fishes). I have only experienced minor crypt melts, when i first plant them into the aquarium, otherwise they've been good. They seem to hate being disturbed and moved, so leaving them alone and ignoring them works best for me.

#8 User is offline   LawrenceLee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:59 PM

Crypts are not demanding, most of mine do best without CO2 and the other high maintenance stuff. But what they need is consistency. You cannot suka suka change your fertilisation regimen, certainly cannot change the lighting (eg trim the overhanging foilage) without triggering a meltdown.

However, they will adapt quite quickly to the new conditions, putting out new leaves. I think the melt is their way of adapting to the new conditions quickly as they grow in jungle streams where sunlight is always short supply on the floor. It can be just a wandering ray illuminating the patch for just a few minutes before moving on.You can see crypts growing wild in Singapore's muddy natural streams if you know what to look for.

So a nutritious bed is what you need foremost. Diana Walstad's NPT seem to be the easiest way to grow crypts. Topsoil base covered with 2 inches of regular lonestar gravel, top up with water, plant densely, Don't fertilise, Don't change water, Feed the fishes plentifully. Almost a dream come true for fishkeepers especially for the last 3 items. But they take ages to grow this way, compared to CO2 fed tanks.

Cryptocoryne are fascinating plants, though my better half thinks the flower looks lewd. For more serious info on crypts, go to Jan D. Bastmeijer's "the Crypt Pages" at http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/Cryptocor...ryne/index.html
Best of all, the plants grow so differently under different conditions that every crypt is almost like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates - You don't know what you'll get till it flowers.

To adapt your crypt to emersed culture, you need lots of humidity. Easiest way is to place the pot in a large disused tank, fill with water to cover the top of the soil, and seal the top of the tank with cling wrap. Start peeling the cover open a crack at a time after you see 1-2 emersed leaves have grown. (Emersed leaves are stiffer and can stand upright (generally this is so for most crypts, but there is this C. flacidifolia...).

If you don't have a spare aquarium, use a coke bottle. Cut and discard the "waist" which is the label area, and you can rejoin the 2 parts to form a short and squat bottle. Throw in the topsoil, plant the crypt, cover with a layer of gravel for presentability, add water to cover the gravel, fit top back on and leave at a bright place (indirect sun). when new emersed leaves grow, unscrew the cap a bit each day till you can remove the cap totally. After that, your crypt will be ready to face the atmosphere without the protection of the top.

Most crypts will only flower when grown emersed.

I hope you understand what I mean. Thanks for reading.

#9 User is offline   LawrenceLee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:01 AM

hongrui said:

thanks lawrence for the information, you're making my heart itch. :grin:

Crypts are aroids. And some people can develop allergic reactions (itch) on contact with the sap.

#10 User is offline   hongrui 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:17 AM

after a month of melting, my orginally submersed C. wendtii 'Mi Oya' started adapting to semi-submersed conditions.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/hongrui/Cryptocoryne_wendtii_2.jpg

this C. wendtii 'Brown' only started showing new growth in the past 2 weeks, after melting down to roots and i had actually given them up. I think they need more light tho.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/hongrui/Cryptocoryne_wendtii_1.jpg

they're grown in tauhuay tubs, in bright shade, placed together with my nepenthes. The water level varies from maybe 1.5cm to 0cm. :P/>
(there are anti-mozzie thingies scattered in the tubs, just in case anyone is wondering.)

#11 User is offline   Justikanz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Mainly aquatic plants and keeping them emersed. Now also starting interest in terrariums, bromeliads, orchids etc... :)

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:42 PM

Been keeping crypts emersed for several months now. Loved them. Have C.wendtii Green, C.wentii Tropica, C.wendtii Mi-oya, C.walkeri, C.lucens, C.lutea, C.becketii and Cryptocoryne x wilisii growing emersed in various setups now... Might have 1 or 2 more species/hybrids... Cannot recall... Will try to post pictures... I am afraid of not able to identify which is which eventually!

#12 User is offline   ts168 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi Hong Rui,

You can plant your cryptoryne in small pot and place them into a tank with top cover, and add a PL/T5 light to provide the lighting.
you should be able to get them start to adapt to emmerse and from there you might have chance to see flower.

getting crypt to flower is not so easy. :(/>

This is how i grow my c. balansae. It melt off at the start of conversion.
http://ts168.17.foru...wtopic.php?t=76

if you were to plant them in pot and place under shade like any other plant? then you need to ensure that you water the crypt afewtimes aday to keep the leave wet/moist.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users