GCS Forum: Macodes petola & Anoectochilus formosanus (both Jewel Orchids) - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Macodes petola & Anoectochilus formosanus (both Jewel Orchids)

#1 User is offline   tropica 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:27 AM

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/sinoxhort/Jewel%20Orchids/MacodespetolaDSC08402.jpg
Macodes petola, they are overcrowded.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/sinoxhort/Jewel%20Orchids/AnoectochilusformosanusDSC08403.jpg
Anoectochilus formosanus, a famous Chinese medical herb. Now it is popular in making soup for drinking.

#2 User is offline   patricia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Flowering Plants

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

:huh:/> ???? Really?

Those orchid Macodes petola really beautiful :grin:

#3 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

hi tropica....

u tissue culture these plants?

#4 User is offline   rockhop 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:55 AM

Tropica, you mean they boil the orchid like it is a vegetable? How does it taste?

#5 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:13 AM

Hi Rockhop and All,

Jewel orchids are used in medicine, especially the species - Anoectochilus formosanus Hayata. In Singapore, they are commonly called "金线莲", literal translation leads us to "golden line lotus". The name probably refers to the bright lines on the leaves that accompany the rosette growing habit of these plants.

Jewel orchids are mixed with a variety of other herbs and boiled. They are used to treat diabetes, hypertension, tiredness of the eyes, kidney troubles, etc.

Latest research studies found that water decoction of Anoectochilus formosanus Hayata showed antitumor and immunostimulating effects on mice. See the link - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

More information can be obtained from searching Pubmed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/) using the keyword : Anoectochilus formosanus.

#6 User is offline   tropica 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:39 AM

prana said:

hi tropica....

u tissue culture these plants?

No... not me
Yes, My friend T.C. them for me. :hammer:
You can find some "金线莲" drink in Taiwan supermarket.
and also find some recipe in restaurant. Boil chicken with "金线莲" soup.
It is said that it is very good for mother-to-be.

#7 User is offline   KooKyPluM 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Lots Of Stuff

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

hmm.. sadly this reminds me of my deceased jewel....

#8 User is offline   jythong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Orchids

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:06 PM

Some orchids are better cooked than alive.

#9 User is offline   peter-zheng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

haha, what is a surprise! I find this topic here. My company also have the tissue culture seedling of the jewel orchid.

A.Roxburghill and A.Formosanus, which are called “King Medicine”, they have been used in China to make a tea and many kinds of food believed to be helpful in curing problems associated with the liver and lungs.

The A.Roxburghill and A.Formosanus are also the most valuable orchids in the southern china, which have been used in Chinese folk medicines. They are used as folk medicines for febrifugation, detoxification, dispelling wind, eliminating dampness and hypertension.

http://image.ec21.com/image/petergoon/oimg_GC06291706_CA06342760/Tissue_Culture_Seedling.jpg

It is common knowledge that this genus has been identified to contain flavones and glycosides. 31 compounds have been isolated by silica gel column chromatography (CC), preparative thin layer chromatography (PTLC) and recrystallization etc. The antioxidative activities of some of them were tested. Podophyllotoxin is a natural lignan compound. Podophyllotoxin as well as its congeners and derivatives exhibits pronounced biological activity mainly as antiviral, antineoplastic and insecticidal etc. Among them, antitumor activity is the most attractive, making it as a lead compound for anticancer drug design and development.
Researchers at the School of Medical Technology, Medical School Yang-Ming, in Taiwan, have investigated the use of Anoectochilus formosanus as an anti-inflammatory agent, an anti-depression agent, and even for use against the virus influenza A.

http://image.ec21.com/image/petergoon/oimg_GC06291706_CA06291707/Dried_Jewel_Orchid.jpg

#10 User is offline   Orchidlover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Hello

Is it possible to get these 2 Jewel Orchids in Singapore?

#11 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostOrchidlover, on 14 November 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

Hello

Is it possible to get these 2 Jewel Orchids in Singapore?

I imported some from Peter, the red one are doing better than the green one, can see my FB page as AiMei Lin to see more photo there.

#12 User is offline   Orchidlover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

[quote name='peter-zheng' timestamp='1332157946' post='333545']
haha, what is a surprise! I find this topic here. My company also have the tissue culture seedling of the jewel orchid.

A.Roxburghill and A.Formosanus, which are called “King Medicine”, they have been used in China to make a tea and many kinds of food believed to be helpful in curing problems associated with the liver and lungs.

The A.Roxburghill and A.Formosanus are also the most valuable orchids in the southern china, which have been used in Chinese folk medicines. They are used as folk medicines for febrifugation, detoxification, dispelling wind, eliminating dampness and hypertension.

http://image.ec21.com/image/petergoon/oimg_GC06291706_CA06342760/Tissue_Culture_Seedling.jpg

Hello. Peter, Can this Jewel Orchid grow well in Singapore weather?

#13 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

View Postpeter-zheng, on 19 March 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

A.Roxburghill and A.Formosanus, which are called "King Medicine", they have been used in China to make a tea and many kinds of food believed to be helpful in curing problems associated with the liver and lungs.

Hello. Peter, Can this Jewel Orchid grow well in Singapore weather?

Peter is far in China, he will not be able to advise you here in Singapore.

I bought both bottle from him in April this year, most of them survive but very slow, you can see their photos on my FB (Aimei Lin).

#14 User is offline   Lionel Teng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plants that I started growing:

Herbs:
    Climbing Gyruna, Rose Catcus, Cat's Whisker
    Plantain Herbs, Chinese Knotweed, Patchouli

Culinary Herbs:
    Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Bay Leaf and Lemon Myrtle, Mint including Bergamot Mint, Tashkent Mint Corn Mint.Mexican Tarragon

Currently Growing: Orchid Both Sun Loving and Shade Loving

Including:

Hybird
    LC,Laeliocattleya BLC, Brassolaeliocattleya

Brassavola Codrata

and also Jewel Orchids including Macodes Lowii,
    Anoectochilus Formansanus and also Roxburghii

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Saves some breath for buying these jewel orchid ask them to provide phyto cert they can even afford to get a cert to import it to singapore buy for them what for unless we mass order the jewel orchid then he will able to get for us

#15 User is offline   Adrian Koh 

• Pip

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostLionel Teng, on 19 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

Saves some breath for buying these jewel orchid ask them to provide phyto cert they can even afford to get a cert to import it to singapore buy for them what for unless we mass order the jewel orchid then he will able to get for us

It's an extremely old lead though, just kinda say hello to everyone as I am new here. Currently, can you guys find the plants in Singapore? :)/>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users