GCS Forum: Hedychium coronarium - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Hedychium coronarium

#21 User is offline   deTengs 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 550
  • Joined: 30-June 05
  • Location:Serangoon Central, Singapore
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:56 AM

wilson said:

This plant makes me like gingers, although all other gingers do not have the intoxicating fragrance like this one. But it did make me look into the different kinds of gingers and that got me hooked...


Hi Wilson,
Welcome to the ginger gang. to start ur addiction, I can give u one type of ginger that oozes fragrant liquid from its inflorescence. i can pass on to u since ur place so near mine...

cheers,
detengs
0

#22 User is offline   wilson 

  • Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Posts: 4262
  • Joined: 07-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:新加坡
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:15 AM

deTengs said:

Hi Wilson,
Welcome to the ginger gang. to start ur addiction, I can give u one type of ginger that oozes fragrant liquid from its inflorescence. i can pass on to u since ur place so near mine...

cheers,
detengs


Hi detengs,

Thanks for the welcome!!! :flowers:/> :grin: :cool:

Is it Zingiber spectabile? I heard this is difficult to grow leh! Im still so green! :blush:/>

Wilson
0

#23 User is offline   islaverde 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4217
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:terra firma
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:24 AM

wilson said:

deTengs said:

Hi Wilson,
Welcome to the ginger gang. to start ur addiction, I can give u one type of ginger that oozes fragrant liquid from its inflorescence. i can pass on to u since ur place so near mine...

cheers,
detengs


Hi detengs,

Thanks for the welcome!!! :flowers:/> :grin: :cool:

Is it Zingiber spectabile? I heard this is difficult to grow leh! Im still so green! :blush:/>

Wilson


It is more spectacular than spectabile. In fact, if you grow it, you would be expected to do more OTs... cos the name starts with 'ot'.
0

#24 User is offline   wilson 

  • Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Posts: 4262
  • Joined: 07-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:新加坡
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:32 AM

islaverde said:

It is more spectacular than spectabile. In fact, if you grow it, you would be expected to do more OTs... cos the name starts with 'ot'.


Hahha... The name's beyond me. Please educate this ginger newbie... :blush:/>
0

#25 User is offline   islaverde 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4217
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:terra firma
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:47 AM

wilson said:

islaverde said:

It is more spectacular than spectabile. In fact, if you grow it, you would be expected to do more OTs... cos the name starts with 'ot'.


Hahha... The name's beyond me. Please educate this ginger newbie... :blush:/>


If you can guess the name correctly, I feel detengs should be obliged to throw in another free ginger.
0

#26 User is offline   deTengs 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 550
  • Joined: 30-June 05
  • Location:Serangoon Central, Singapore
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:32 PM

islaverde said:

wilson said:

islaverde said:

It is more spectacular than spectabile. In fact, if you grow it, you would be expected to do more OTs... cos the name starts with 'ot'.


Hahha... The name's beyond me. Please educate this ginger newbie... :blush:/>


If you can guess the name correctly, I feel detengs should be obliged to throw in another free ginger.


isla, u should chip in your fair share to encourage wilson...not thru words only, action also plse.... :hammer:

wilson, will tell u the name when u receive the sample...nope, not z.spec, the rains has been doing some havoc to those...something simpler...
0

#27 User is offline   islaverde 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4217
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:terra firma
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

deTengs said:

isla, u should chip in your fair share to encourage wilson...not thru words only, action also plse.... :hammer:  

wilson, will tell u the name when u receive the sample...nope, not z.spec, the rains has been doing some havoc to those...something simpler...


I have Zingiber oficinale. :drink: Want?
0

#28 User is offline   wilson 

  • Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Posts: 4262
  • Joined: 07-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:新加坡
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

Thanks to my ginger experts!

Btw, do we just have that two colors for Hedychium coronarium?
0

#29 User is offline   deTengs 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 550
  • Joined: 30-June 05
  • Location:Serangoon Central, Singapore
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:27 PM

actually hedychium coronarium has the sweetest & strongest smell...i think there is only 1 color (white)....

there are other much more beautiful variety of hedychiums...
u can see more at www.plant-group.com

the crowning glory of hedychium, I think, lies in some which has evolved into becoming epiphytes living on trees....eg. hedychium longicornutum...

however, i have yet to see anyone cultivate this well locally....
0

#30 User is offline   islaverde 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4217
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:terra firma
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:08 PM

There may be a variety of coronarium called "Luna Moth". Check it out.
0

#31 User is offline   boonboon 

  • Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 5385
  • Joined: 13-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:Roses, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents, Gesneriads, Fragrant Plants etc

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:36 PM

How long does it take for the young shoot to mature and flower and how long does the fragrance last?
0

#32 User is offline   Mickey_Sg 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 57
  • Joined: 20-January 05
  • Location:Siglap
  • Interests:Nature, Birdwatching, Music, Cycling

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:46 AM

Hi everyone

I must chime in as I've been a hedychium fan for some time now. I'd like to collect them, but there are surprisingly few varieties available here.

So far I only have the white coronarium and the peach coloured coronarium, despite being on the lookout for them all the time.

IME, the white one flowers much more freely and the plant is more vigourous in growth and robust. It takes around 1 to 2 months to for a new shoot to grow big enough and bloom. They need full sun to flower well.

I cant quite figure out the peach one. It doesn't like full sun, it doesn't seem to like shade either. Often the leaves yellow and the stem just seems to give and doest produce any blooms. The fragrance is not so strong as the white.

Once in a while, when the heavens smile upon me , my Magnolia Coco and hedychiums flower at the same time. The combination of M.Coco's sweet, bubble-gummy chempaka-like smell and hedychium's intoxicating fragrance is truly divine.

In fact I wish I could get my M.Coco to flower more frequently. It's in a bright spot but not under direct sun, as the leaves burn to a crisp. I get about one measly flower a month from this 4 foot high bush. Any tips or tricks to get it too bloom more?

Detengs, You can find tons of hedychium longicornutum at "Bedok Garden" nuursery on Bedok South Road. They are rather expensive though, and I don't see them flowering very often.

Bedok Garden

Cheers
Mick
0

#33 User is offline   wilson 

  • Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Posts: 4262
  • Joined: 07-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:新加坡
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:44 AM

Mickey_Sg said:

Detengs, You can find tons of hedychium longicornutum at "Bedok Garden" nuursery on Bedok South Road. They are rather expensive though, and I don't see them flowering very often.


Yup, the plants are beyond my budget really. Seen them and was pretty enticed by them.

Do you all wanna order from overseas? :hammer: OPPS!

Wilson
0

#34 User is offline   deTengs 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 550
  • Joined: 30-June 05
  • Location:Serangoon Central, Singapore
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, cooking

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the tip. Regarding the hedy long., I've been monitoring Bedok garden's stock for some time too. No blooms. It's not easy to keep them. I have a specimen too but keeps getting ravaged by all kinds of insects.

They have high resilience in staying alive however it is not easy to make them bloom. Frankly, I have never seen a blooming specimen before...

I do have the impression that most of the hedychiums prefer dry, cooler regions such as chiengmai and Burma and do not really like our weather. Hence they give measly blooms in hot humid weather.

When we try to put them under shade to cool them, we sacrifice on the light part. For this reason, they don't bloom well. However, don't lose hope!

Despite all this, where there is a will, there's a way! Here's one of my old pic taken a few years back! Enjoy!!!! :happy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/tengiber/DSCN0515.jpg
0

#35 User is offline   luckyboy 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 989
  • Joined: 08-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Siglap, Singapore

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:20 PM

WOW Wilson...looks like you're venturing into larger plants! Great! He he he....

Cheers
Sean
0

#36 User is offline   wilson 

  • Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Posts: 4262
  • Joined: 07-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:新加坡
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

Hi Detengs,

Your flowers really look so cool. Well taken picture too! So vivid and clear!

Hmm I think I will put the epiphytic Hedys on the side now since they are not as rewarding as what's been discussed. I'm pretty happy with my white and salmon hedy giving me their heady intoxicating fragrance...

Sean,

Yup... I am venturing into larger plants.... Time to move forward a bit...
0

#37 User is offline   mm 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2137
  • Joined: 29-January 06
  • Location:Clementi

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

I've just 3 bags of the white hedychium coronarium. Need expert advice on growing condtions :

From what I've gathered from this thread, they prefer :

1. sun, but not heat.
2. wet feet - can even survive in lotus like conditions.

Anything else to add, or correct?

Question - how tall do they grow to, and do I need to provide for a lot space for them to spread?

Thanks.
0

#38 User is offline   Rence 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 846
  • Joined: 07-February 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Metro Manila, Philippines
  • Interests:ferns,orchids,philatelic, numismatic, fast food toy collectibles, tillandsia , bank notes, toys

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:04 PM

deTengs said:

Thanks for the tip. Regarding the hedy long., I've been monitoring Bedok garden's stock for some time too. No blooms. It's not easy to keep them. I have a specimen too but keeps getting ravaged by all kinds of insects.

They have high resilience in staying alive however it is not easy to make them bloom. Frankly, I have never seen a blooming specimen before...

I do have the impression that most of the hedychiums prefer dry, cooler regions such as chiengmai and Burma and do not really like our weather. Hence they give measly blooms in hot humid weather.  

When we try to put them under shade to cool them, we sacrifice on the light part. For this reason, they don't bloom well. However, don't lose hope!

Despite all this, where there is a will, there's a way! Here's one of my old pic taken a few years back! Enjoy!!!! :happy:  
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/tengiber/DSCN0515.jpg


That particular plant requires a much higher altitudes in order to survive well, a lot of those plants are being sold in a sunday market in Quezon City
0

#39 Guestlyndi_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:50 AM

My Hedychium is blooming:-

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Jewelbutterfly/DSCN1196.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Jewelbutterfly/DSCN1214.jpg
0

#40 User is offline   HortVet 

  • Flowering & Foliage Plants Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 913
  • Joined: 10-December 04
  • Location:Singapore
  • Interests:all sorts of plants

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

lovely. issit a coronarium?? I think no...
0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users