GCS Forum: are millipedes a problem? - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

are millipedes a problem?

#1 User is offline   maureen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:13 PM

I have millipedes also, in my calamansi plant pot. Many! They are about 1.5 cm long, brown, and curl up if you poke them.

But my question is: Do these millipedes damage the plant or not?

#2 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:35 PM

I dont think so ... I think they feed on leave litter...i think.....

#3 User is offline   prana 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, Holistic Health, Gamelan, Languages and Culture, Composting, Vermicomposting, Nature and Natural History, Biodiversity, Soil Food Web, Beneficial fungi and microbes, Food Forest, Permaculture, Heirlooms Edibles and Conservation, Greens and Salads, Fruits, Chickens, Goats, Urban Farming

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:12 AM

yeah that is what im scared of. Although millipedes are harmless, im scared of the centipedes that are attracted to them. I live in hdb on the 7th storey and even that i had two encounters with centipedes. Interestingly, both separate incidents occured in the toilet. i saw them coming from the sides of the squating toilet bowl where the flush water comes out from. Oh man, they were not small and i went frantically looking for and spraying Bygone.

I have lots of millipedes too and they are really colourful. But im thinking of catching them and then release them at the nearest forest.

#4 User is offline   maureen 

• Pip

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:59 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about millipedes.

I think you're correct, Prana -- all the rain we had a few weeks ago really brought them out. Lately I haven't seen too many.

It's nice that some people are willing to bring their millipedes over to MacRitchie or Bukit Timah for release into the wild. You are more evolved than me, that's for sure!

But PLEEZE, please don't use Baygon to get rid of millipedes (or any other insects) -- it will hurt you just as much as it hurts them!!

Instead, try this. Take a spray bottle, pour in about 1 cm or so of liquid dishwashing soap (like MaMa), and fill up the bottle with water. Adjust the spray head so it shoots out in a single sharp stream (not mist).

When you see a creature that absolutely must be dispatched, aim well and start spraying. If your aim was true, they will die within seconds. This works especially well with cockroaches, even the really bigs ones. Best of all, it is not toxic. (Just remember to wipe up the soapy water later so no one will slip on it!)

#5 User is offline   Nolican 

• Pip

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:30 PM

View Postmaureen, on May 22 2006, 06:59 PM, said:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about millipedes.
I think you're correct, Prana -- all the rain we had a few weeks ago really brought them out. Lately I haven't seen too many.
It's nice that some people are willing to bring their millipedes over to MacRitchie or Bukit Timah for release into the wild. You are more evolved than me, that's for sure!
But PLEEZE, please don't use Baygon to get rid of millipedes (or any other insects) -- it will hurt you just as much as it hurts them!!
Instead, try this. Take a spray bottle, pour in about 1 cm or so of liquid dishwashing soap (like MaMa), and fill up the bottle with water. Adjust the spray head so it shoots out in a single sharp stream (not mist).
When you see a creature that absolutely must be dispatched, aim well and start spraying. If your aim was true, they will die within seconds. This works especially well with cockroaches, even the really bigs ones. Best of all, it is not toxic. (Just remember to wipe up the soapy water later so no one will slip on it!)

Both millipedes and centipedes are beneficial to the garden.

Centipedes eat some of those bugs around. But of course we hate them, cause they bite us.

Talking about them coming into the house, I got this earthworm that got into my bathroom. And the surprising thing is I stay on level 2 in a HDB flat. How did it get there?

But it went to good use. it's in one of my pots now and helped to make that pot flower.

Yipe.

#6 User is offline   superfinefeline 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

View PostNolican, on Jul 16 2006, 10:30 PM, said:

Both millipedes and centipedes are beneficial to the garden.

Centipedes eat some of those bugs around. But of course we hate them, cause they bite us.

Talking about them coming into the house, I got this earthworm that got into my bathroom. And the surprising thing is I stay on level 2 in a HDB flat. How did it get there?

But it went to good use. it's in one of my pots now and helped to make that pot flower.

Yipe.

Uh oh! I didn't know that Centipedes were beneficial as I think I read in another thread that they should be destroyed & so I've killed every centipede that I've come across. Any idea wat bugs do centipedes prey on and if they're harmful to dogs?

#7 User is offline   John123john 

• Pip

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:28 PM

I don't think so!
Try to check here. As i know they are have a lot of information about centipedes

This post has been edited by John123john: 16 April 2018 - 11:29 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users