GCS Forum: aquatic plants - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

aquatic plants

#1 User is offline   Lee Huang 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:33 PM

Dear Wilson

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know the names of my plants. There is one which is like grass - tall with a blossom -like crown - paparus? then one with broad drip-tip shaped leaves and another with a bunch of small round coin-like leaves on top.

I like the idea of a water feature for the soothing effect and also to make the air more humid. The guppies I hope to breed in the container are partly to prevent mosquitoes from breeding.

My balcony faces west but not direct. I think it is west-northwest, so the sun comes in at a slant. At the end of the year, sunlight is very much reduced. Looks like the water feature has to put on the same level of the balcony wall in order to get more sun. But then, this means that I won't be able to get a close view of the whole water surface of the water feature itself. As I have mentioned before, my balcony is like an oven because there is concrete all around accept for the opening.

Would appreciate advice from those who have experience with aquatic plants and breeding guppies.

Lee Huang

#2 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

Lee Huang,

1. The tall grass like one sounds like Cyperus papyrus.
2. The broad drip-tip could be Echinodorus.
3. The coin-like ones are probably Hydrocotyl.

Regarding the location/height of the plants, there may not be a need to raise the tank level, as there are aquatic plants that can take shade. The hydrocotyl (#3 above) is one example.

You also don't have to limit yourself to full aquatic plants - some semi-aquatics - like some types of colocasia, can take shade. I have some in pots with very wet soil under full shade, they they're fine. In fact, they put out very tall 1-2 feet high leaves, which would lend some vertical structure to your pond design.

And unless your body of water is large, or the water is well shaded by the leaves, then having a lot of sun on the surface of the water may lead to algae problems, plus the heated water will not be good for the fish.

Regarding guppies, I used to be an accidental breeder - i.e. I just left them alone in the pond, and they were able to do self-renewal, generation after generation, with population controlled by the amount of food available. Guppies are not long-lived fish anyway.

#3 User is offline   markc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:32 AM

I remember the first time my female guppy gave birth. I get 30 fry. Second time 40. Third time 50. (Figure rounded to the nearest zero). So you can expect large number of guppy swiming in ur pond in a year time.

#4 User is offline   Lee Huang 

• Pip

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the info that there are semi-aquatic plants which will do well in the shade and that guppies do not like heated water.

Where can I buy a suitable dish for the plants? I would like a terracotta one maybe around 40 t0 50 cm in diameter.

What about soil? Do I need to buy special soil? At the moment the plants are planted in ordinary soil in plastic pots and standing in an enamel basin of water. Now that the mud has settled, it looks alright but I think there is not enough room for the guppies to swim. Do I have to remove the pots to make room? If it was the case, then I would have to put soil into the bottom of the dish first. In short, how do I go about starting a simple water feature - just a dish of water with aquatic plants and guppies in it.

Those of you who have such a water feature in an HBD balcony, please comment.

P/S I think my balcony faces north of north-west.

Lee Huang

#5 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

How big a feature are you planning? There is one very well done balcony garden incorporating a water feature by one of the members here :

http://www.greenculturesg.com/forum/viewto...opic.php?t=3210

If you can, go for as big a tank as you can. Then the possibilities are better.

#6 User is offline   Rence 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:ferns,orchids,philatelic, numismatic, fast food toy collectibles, tillandsia , bank notes, toys

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:06 PM

Lee Huang said:

Thanks for the info that there are semi-aquatic plants which will do well in the shade and that guppies do not like heated water.  

Where can I buy a suitable dish for the plants?  I would like a terracotta one maybe around 40 t0 50 cm in diameter.

What about soil? Do I need to buy special soil? At the moment the plants are planted in ordinary soil in plastic pots and standing in an enamel basin of water. Now that the mud has settled, it looks alright but I think there is not enough room for the guppies to swim. Do I have to remove the pots to make room? If it was the case, then I would have to put soil  into the bottom of the dish first. In short, how do I go about starting a simple water feature - just a dish of water with aquatic plants and guppies in it.

Those of you who have such a water feature in an HBD balcony, please comment.  

P/S I think my balcony faces north of north-west.

Lee Huang

Hi Mr. Lee Huang ! This is Rence
I suggest that you try to put clay on top of your water plant so that the particles of soil won't be washed off!

Try selling your guppies, to children and other hobbyist , you may try buying terra cotta or cement base dish for you water garden, it can last longer than plastic pots! Thanks Just PM me if you want to ask some questions! Thanks

#7 User is offline   rockhop 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:56 PM

Lee Huang, my waterlily pond is 18inces wide and 9inches deep. It has one waterlily growing in a pot and some java ferns floating around in the water. The small green plants floating on top are Azolla and duckweed. There are also guppies in it. It is made of plastic and I got it from one of the nurseries at Thomson road (forgot the name).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users