GCS Forum: Hoya ID - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Hoya ID

#1 User is offline   cecilia 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:54 PM

Hi, I bought this hoya 6 months ago....growin very well, even though I neglected it. It bloom most of the time but I hardly pay special attention to it. Anyone can ID this hoya for me? I think the flowers are pink too.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/ceciliachl/My%20Plants/HoyaPink.jpg

#2 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:52 PM

Hi, cannot see the pic. I am collecting Hoyas too. I dun have much space but find the Hoya and most asclepiads compact, easy to take care and do ok outside my HDB house.
Only have about 15 common Hoya species for now and hope to collect more. How many types do you have?
I m thinking of going on a trip to collect Hoyas from all over SEA soon. Saw many different types growing on roadside trees in Thailand, Malaysia, Sabah and Siem Reap during my recent trips the last few months.

#3 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

Someone passed these to me for Tea today. Currypuffs. Can someone please help ID?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/hun...n2/Img_0020.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/hun...n2/Img_0021.jpg

This post has been edited by hunkebun: 23 August 2006 - 03:51 PM

#4 User is offline   ladybird 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:plants, music, movies

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

Hoya imbricata?

#5 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:14 AM

Guru I googled imbricata. Looks like. But why is mine clasped like curry puffs? Isit because these are free-hanging leaves? Pictures of imbricata on-line are shown growing clasped to the trunk of trees. Mr fren who gave the cuttings say he saw it growing all clasped in vines and like a trailing plant in a hanging pot. I am very excited abt this. I prised open the clasped leaves and found it full of roots!

Thanks for the info. Just received one more hoya - heart-shaped leaved mottled in grey and maroon. The edges are saw toothed and very thick leaves. Unfortunately the stem very thin. I have bad experience in rooting such thin stems. Most often they dry up.

This post has been edited by hunkebun: 24 August 2006 - 08:17 AM

#6 User is offline   ladybird 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:plants, music, movies

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:22 AM

i'm not familiar with this one actually...have not seen one around. check this pic out, similar to yours....

http://www.succulent...oya/hoya004.jpg

wow, that heart shaped one...any pic to show?

#7 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

View Postladybird, on Aug 24 2006, 08:22 AM, said:

i'm not familiar with this one actually...have not seen one around. check this pic out, similar to yours....

wow, that heart shaped one...any pic to show?

Yes I went to the website as that picture.. Min is mottled and patterned with greens and greys and slight reddishness at the edges - kena sun I think.

Will take pic of the heart leaved and post.

#8 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

HI There

I agree with ladybird that it does look like imbricata...although it could be a slightly different varient.

Cheers
Sean

#9 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:00 PM

can some Hoya expert clarify if there is such thing as Hemperor? This guy is trying sell me the plant. Is all leaves and I cannot ID. I tried googling Hemperor but no such thing. Himperialis, n it looks nuthing like the Hemperor the guy is selling. Is a whopping $48 for a 3ft plant. I no pic lar.

#10 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:24 PM

View Posthunkebun, on Sep 24 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

can some Hoya expert clarify if there is such thing as Hemperor? This guy is trying sell me the plant. Is all leaves and I cannot ID. I tried googling Hemperor but no such thing. Himperialis, n it looks nuthing like the Hemperor the guy is selling. Is a whopping $48 for a 3ft plant. I no pic lar.

With a name like that, its most likely a hybrid as no species has a name like that. $48 for this plant seems alittle steep especially if its a hybrid.

Cheers
Sean

#11 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:19 AM

Hoya hybrids? Very confounding. I dunno how they cross pollinate these things. They dun look like that can be pollinated at all and I have never seen the fruit. Pse share some info on this. If it is a hybrid, I m certainly not gonna spend $48 on it.

#12 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

View Posthunkebun, on Sep 25 2006, 09:19 AM, said:

Hoya hybrids? Very confounding. I dunno how they cross pollinate these things. They dun look like that can be pollinated at all and I have never seen the fruit. Pse share some info on this. If it is a hybrid, I m certainly not gonna spend $48 on it.

I have not personally seen the pod but there definately are hoya hybrids in the market. Cross polination is done the usual way ie stigma & stamen. Examples of hoya hybrids are Chouke (carnosa x serpens), Minibelle (carnosa x longifolia), Kaimuki (macgillivrayi x archboldiana) and Pinkie (subclava x australis).

Cheers
Sean

#13 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

:ranting2:/> :ranting2:/> Just when you think some plants cannot b hybrdized.......

Anyway Seana n other experts , can help ID this? The whole plant is hairy and is collected locally. Is definitely a Hoya but dunno what species. The plant is actually greyish whitem but turns a golden shade when grown in full sunlight because of the downy hair. http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/hun...2/hairyHoya.jpg

#14 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:27 PM

A bit difficult to tell just from the leaves. Maybe if you have a pic of the blooms it would be better.

Cheers
Sean

#15 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:36 PM

View Postluckyboy, on Sep 25 2006, 05:27 PM, said:

A bit difficult to tell just from the leaves. Maybe if you have a pic of the blooms it would be better.

Cheers
Sean

Is still young yet. grown about 3ft but no sign of flower. Sian. I have this other horrid hoya that has grown 3m round and round and still no flower. dark green leaf and forever growing leaves. Stopped fertilizing as punishment.

#16 User is offline   luckyboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:42 AM

View Posthunkebun, on Sep 25 2006, 05:36 PM, said:

Is still young yet. grown about 3ft but no sign of flower. Sian. I have this other horrid hoya that has grown 3m round and round and still no flower. dark green leaf and forever growing leaves. Stopped fertilizing as punishment.

Well maybe you could change the spot you put it in...it may just do the trick for you. I use fish emulsion for my hoyas and they are blooming for me.

Cheers
Sean

#17 User is offline   hunkebun 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

View Postluckyboy, on Sep 26 2006, 10:42 AM, said:

Well maybe you could change the spot you put it in...it may just do the trick for you. I use fish emulsion for my hoyas and they are blooming for me.

Cheers
Sean

Thanks man, feel better with your advice. Very kind. But I cannot move the plant becoz it is fixed and have grown up, down and several round and round. Too difficult to distangle and move, might have to chop off. Which I dun want to do coz is wasted fertilizer and so much effort watering to make it grow. :hitmyself:/> Will try the fish emulsion though. Tks again.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users