growing watercress

#1 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:27 AM

Hi All,

Just wanna share with all of you that the success of growing watercress locally.

We all roughly know that watercress is kind of a temperate crop and I have heard zillions of times from farmers that they can be grown there, with some tricks.

The most important is to provide semishade throughout the day and how farmers do it is to have a layer of shadecloth above the plants.

Next, the soil must be moist and not too wet, otherwise the stems will rot - I have tried rooting stems in water - and they rot in no time.

Use the bare ends of watercress for planting - shoots will emerge from the nodes. The tips are plucked off for consumption. So you literally grow them from your kitchen scraps.

Try it today - post your experiences here if you have any later on!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/kuehlapis/watercress2_3apr06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/kuehlapis/watercress1_3apr06.jpg

#2 User is offline   lilyginger 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Working, hill hiking, cave exploration,jungle trekking, friends, gardening, reading, social issues

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

Hi Wilson,

Thank you for the advice on how to grow watercress.

About 3 weeks ago my mom was making watercress soup and the bare end of the watercress was discarded. So I decided to try planting watercress from the bare end which have some tiny roots by the nodes and the baby watercress really did emerge from the nodes.

Here is my pix of the baby watercress;

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo108/lilyginger_2008/IMG_0542.jpg

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo108/lilyginger_2008/IMG_0543.jpg

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo108/lilyginger_2008/IMG_0544.jpg

Hopefully it will be fully grown in a few months time.

#3 User is offline   wilson 

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Back to edibles...

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hi ladyginger,

Nice attempt and thanks for digging up this topic that has been buried and hidden away after so long.

Hope this can get some of our members to start growing watercress in their homes.

The plant doesn't really like direct sunshine and is therefore good for home balconies that do not enjoy direct sunshine. Besides, we often discard the stems during food preparation, why don't we use them as propagation material? :flowers:/>

Wilson

#4 User is offline   jolantru 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

Mmm, looks like something I might want to try...

Okay, let me work on my sweet potatos first...

Jolantru

#5 User is offline   peterlim128 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

wilson, on Aug 28 2008, 10:44 AM, said:

Hi ladyginger,

Nice attempt and thanks for digging up this topic that has been buried and hidden away after so long.

Hope this can get some of our members to start growing watercress in their homes.

The plant doesn't really like direct sunshine and is therefore good for home balconies that do not enjoy direct sunshine. Besides, we often discard the stems during food preparation, why don't we use them as propagation material?
Wilson

Hi-I nearly wanted to start a new topic on watercress but upon searching found this post.
I would like to try to grow watercress but my first attempt was a failure because the roots rot.
I went to the net and found that watercress
a) is easy to grow (to me it is not easy like growing basil and chilli)
b) it needs to grow in flowing water as it do not like stagnant water (too much work to change water frequently)
c) it is a good hyproponic plant to grow.

Before I start again, I like to draw on the member's experiences on ttheir growing of watercress and whether they managed to
get a successful harvest.

Wilson how about Hotipark's experience. Did they grow watercress there ?

thks for sharing

Peter

#6 User is offline   peterlim128 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

lilyginger, on Aug 28 2008, 08:55 AM, said:

Hi Wilson,

Thank you for the advice on how to grow watercress.

About 3 weeks ago my mom was making watercress soup and the bare end of the watercress was discarded. So I decided to try planting watercress from the bare end which have some tiny roots by the nodes and the baby watercress really did emerge from the nodes.

Here is my pix of the baby watercress;

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo108/lilyginger_2008/IMG_0542.jpg

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo108/lilyginger_2008/IMG_0543.jpg

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo108/lilyginger_2008/IMG_0544.jpg

Hopefully it will be fully grown in a few months time.

Hi-I notice you were successful in getting watercress started Contrary to what is required that watercress need moist
soil I notice that you planted it normally in a pot (not resting on any matting)

What happen afterwards, did you managed to harvest watercress out of them

Peter

This post has been edited by peterlim128: 09 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

#7 User is offline   lilyginger 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Working, hill hiking, cave exploration,jungle trekking, friends, gardening, reading, social issues

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

peterlim128, on Jun 9 2009, 06:13 PM, said:

Hi-I notice you were successful in getting watercress started Contrary to what is required that watercress need moist
soil I notice that you planted it normally in a pot (not resting on any matting)

What happen afterwards, did you managed to harvest watercress out of them

Peter

Hello Peter,

I have never harvested any watercress because I just grow them for fun. But they do grow a lot and in the end when I was moving my house someone took my plant away and I never seen them eversince. Since watercress are those type of plant which like squash plant have lots of vines, its not really suitable to be grown inside flower pot.

I grow them using the red earth mixed with burnt earth. Or maybe you can try growing them inside aquarium since aquarium water have the nutrient and also the medium for them to grow. But for home consumption, I don't think its viable to grow watercress using flower pot.

#8 User is offline   peterlim128 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

lilyginger, on Aug 4 2009, 10:51 AM, said:

Hello Peter,

I have never harvested any watercress because I just grow them for fun. But they do grow a lot and in the end when I was moving my house someone took my plant away and I never seen them eversince. Since watercress are those type of plant which like squash plant have lots of vines, its not really suitable to be grown inside flower pot.

I grow them using the red earth mixed with burnt earth. Or maybe you can try growing them inside aquarium since aquarium water have the nutrient and also the medium for them to grow. But for home consumption, I don't think its viable to grow watercress using flower pot.

thks for your reply.
will update when available

regds
Peter

#9 User is offline   Abby Lim 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:All plants, Bonsai & cooking

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

[quote name='wilson' date='Apr 3 2006, 06:27 AM' post='47633']

Just wanna share with all of you that the success of growing watercress locally.

Hi Wilson,

We had watercress farm in Singapore in old days, Toa Payoh when it is a "payoh", 'potong Pasir', those were the farm located, when I was a child, passby those area and saw the farmer harvest them, just like those pond area, they have plank on top of the pond to step on it for weeding and harvesting, don't remember see any cover on top as old day those sun shade were not common and not easily affortable.

If you buy those have a long long stem and roots, that will tell you that there are creeper on the ponding area, like kankong, they grow wild and fat on the swampy area.

My old farm in LCK had a small patch of watercrest in our pond next to the pig house under the coconut tree, yes, I think old days' farmer use some nature to have shade.

#10 User is offline   yvonne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

Hi Wilson,

Thanks for the info on planting watercress. never know that one can grow it this way. I guess there are 2 types one from cameron highlands which is grown in ponds and the other from indonesia which has thick stems. Now I can grow my own organic watercress using singapore water

#11 User is offline   Flower story 

• Pip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/537101_538304132856326_408523826_n.jpg

I found this easy method (from online, I did not grow the plants in the pic), using recycled container with holes at the bottom, place the container over a plastic/aluminium tray filled with water. Make sure there's always water in the plastic tray.

This post has been edited by Flower story: 21 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

#12 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Did you use seeds?

#13 User is offline   Click 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Only Edibles -- fruits, veggies, plants and herbs please.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Are we talking about sai yong chai?

If yes, mine are growing, super slowly....Just pinch off some shoots from a bunch bought from the market...
Poke into ground, and wait for the roots to come out...

Luckily did not put them into water to root, as I read here that the
water will rot them... phew!

This post has been edited by Click: 21 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users