GCS Forum: Planting Orchids - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Planting Orchids

#1 User is offline   Fire 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

Hi,
I am new here. I have questions regarding growing orchids. What kind of charcoals for orchids? Can I buy those charcoals w(long) here we use them for cooking? If so, do I wash them first before putting onto the orchid pot? Not the bbq type that are oval or round in shapes. As orchids need drainage, do I place a orchid pot under a plate as I want to place my orchids plants inside my house balcony. If no plate, during watering, the floor will be wet. Maybe you orchid lovers can enlighten me how to grow them in HDB with balcony. Thanks for helping.

#2 User is offline   season 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Travels, photography, gardening

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

View PostFire, on 03 September 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

Hi,
I am new here. I have questions regarding growing orchids. What kind of charcoals for orchids? Can I buy those charcoals w(long) here we use them for cooking? If so, do I wash them first before putting onto the orchid pot? Not the bbq type that are oval or round in shapes. As orchids need drainage, do I place a orchid pot under a plate as I want to place my orchids plants inside my house balcony. If no plate, during watering, the floor will be wet. Maybe you orchid lovers can enlighten me how to grow them in HDB with balcony. Thanks for helping.

I think for media it depends on type of orchids and the environment you have. I usually buy big chunks of charcoal then break it into smaller pieces depending on the plant root size. Or you can use coconut husk pieces, no need to hammer and easily available at any nursery. Both material needs to be sufficiently soaked in water as they may contained salt. As for watering just bring it to the bathroom or kitchen sink for a full hose down then drip dry. Part of the reason I like orchid they don't need too much watering and standing in water so no worry of breeding mozzies.

#3 User is offline   Fire 

• Pip

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

View Postseason, on 09 September 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

I think for media it depends on type of orchids and the environment you have. I usually buy big chunks of charcoal then break it into smaller pieces depending on the plant root size. Or you can use coconut husk pieces, no need to hammer and easily available at any nursery. Both material needs to be sufficiently soaked in water as they may contained salt. As for watering just bring it to the bathroom or kitchen sink for a full hose down then drip dry. Part of the reason I like orchid they don't need too much watering and standing in water so no worry of breeding mozzies.

Thank you very much Season for your help. I will follow your advice for my newly bought orchids! Appreciated! : )

#4 User is offline   season 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Travels, photography, gardening

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostFire, on 10 September 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

Thank you very much Season for your help. I will follow your advice for my newly bought orchids! Appreciated! : )

You are very welcome. My instruction are very basic, library have many guidebooks on growing orchids in tropics and apartment.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users