Page 1 of 1

Blue pea pods/seeds

#1 User is offline   bridgehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

Hi

I have got some blue pea seeds from pods which I plucked recently. One is fresh green and the other brown dried up. I opened the fresh green pod and found some green seeds. Can I use them to grow? Previously I got some seeds from a kind hobbyist which was black and hard and that was what I found in the dried up pods. I kept the seeds in the fridge as I know I could use them later.
The fresh green seeds are now soaking in water since yesterday. Am I doing it right?
Any advice please? Thanks, Bridgehouse

#2 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

-

This post has been edited by Greyfingers: 14 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

#3 User is offline   bridgehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostGreyfingers, on 14 May 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

-

Hi Greyfingers, I cannot read anything on the post. Was it a mistake or are you trying to write to me:)? Bridgehouse

#4 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

You should harvest seeds from pods that are matured. Matured pods are brown in colour and would have seeds that are black in colour. Matured pods would normally have split open to disperse the seeds. So if you want to keep all seeds intact in the pod, they should be harvested when they are slightly yellowish.

Green seeds are not matured enough for germinating but if they just before maturity, you may get lucky with them.

#5 User is offline   bridgehouse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

View PostGreyfingers, on 15 May 2017 - 07:59 PM, said:

You should harvest seeds from pods that are matured. Matured pods are brown in colour and would have seeds that are black in colour. Matured pods would normally have split open to disperse the seeds. So if you want to keep all seeds intact in the pod, they should be harvested when they are slightly yellowish.

Green seeds are not matured enough for germinating but if they just before maturity, you may get lucky with them.

Thanks Greyfingers, then I have wasted them unintentionally:( Would have benefited others if left alone to dry up. Bridgehouse.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users