GCS Forum: Harmful or harmless decollate snails - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Harmful or harmless decollate snails Numerous decollate snails found on lime tree pot

#1 User is offline   alysses 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

https://postimg.org/image/xz0qr6fwh/

I found a rout of decollate snails this morning on the top soil of my lime tree when I was watering. Should I get rid of them or leave it alone? I researched online to find out whether they were harmful or not and found that they eat brown snails, slugs or worms. They also multiply into hundreds! >.<

A week ago, I found three really nasty blue and brown fat worms that look like caterpillars and swept them away or use a pair of chopstick, then cleared out brown old leaves around my balcony garden area. I tend to throw in banana skins and bury them into the soil and practice organic gardening, that might have brought about the snails! There are also soil mites and random small flies zooming around but I'm not bothered by them. Apart from that, I also throw in egg shells and unwanted green leaves from time to time.

This post has been edited by alysses: 25 November 2016 - 09:53 AM

#2 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:23 PM

What you have there is a very small eco system. I guess in some sense everything works for the good of something else.

I have not found those snails to be harmful to my plants in any way. But if you don't like them, you can use the snail baits..the snails love it..almost instantly attracted to them as soon as they are placed. And then as they consume those baits they foam and die surely. I do not know if the baits are edible safe. I bought them in lose form with no instruction. Maybe someone could share on this.

Those flies that are attracted to the banana skins should be fruit flies. Probably just trying to eat and lay eggs.

There are many types of mites in soil. I do know of one that feeds on fungus gnat larvae.

You might want to share a picture of the brown and blue worms. I have no clue what they are.

#3 User is offline   alysses 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

Thx for sharing! :)/> I've tossed the worms so no pictures.

View PostGreyfingers, on 25 November 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

What you have there is a very small eco system. I guess in some sense everything works for the good of something else.

I have not found those snails to be harmful to my plants in any way. But if you don't like them, you can use the snail baits..the snails love it..almost instantly attracted to them as soon as they are placed. And then as they consume those baits they foam and die surely. I do not know if the baits are edible safe. I bought them in lose form with no instruction. Maybe someone could share on this.

Those flies that are attracted to the banana skins should be fruit flies. Probably just trying to eat and lay eggs.

There are many types of mites in soil. I do know of one that feeds on fungus gnat larvae.

You might want to share a picture of the brown and blue worms. I have no clue what they are.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users