GCS Forum: Does Spiders harm orchids - GCS Forum

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2

Does Spiders harm orchids

#21 User is offline   Greyfingers 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2086
  • Joined: 05-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

Do you know that every hibiscus leaf will also produce nectar? And is attracting ants and mealy bugs and causing sooty mold to grow. And for whatever reasons? As far as I can see, bees should be good enough for pollination.
0

#22 User is offline   keff 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 579
  • Joined: 30-July 12
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

I think it attracts ants which in turn keeps other insects away. I think several plants have a similar relationship. I remember watching a documentary where there is one plant in Africa that produces yellow edible nodules for ants, which protect in turn protects it from browsing animals. In orchids it appears to happen only on the vulnerable growing points like the flowering spikes of vandas, and the anak/keiki of catts.

In this case, the gecko was just a happy opportunist. But then again maybe we are seeing the evolution of a new mutually beneficial relationship between plant and animal. Who knows?


I have never seen sooty mold nor mealy bugs on my orchids. But mealy bugs seem to love my lemon grass and stapelias.

Its my guess that in very sunny days the hibiscus might produce more sugars than it can cope with so it exudes it?

Perhaps with orchids, it doesnt let it go to waste and uses the excess sugars to recruit ant guards. I do notice that the honey dew produced by orchids is much more pronounced on sunny days.

It will be interesting if some botanist in the forum could shed light on this.

This post has been edited by keff: 21 December 2016 - 12:38 AM

0

#23 User is offline   Busy Bee 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 04-April 16
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

Impressed with your observations! :)/>/>

I have the same headache with mealy bugs till I have to give up my lemon grass and chilli altogether though I am a big curry fan :(/>/> If mealy bugs hit my hibiscus, I would make it totally botak and it works so far.

As for my orchids, I am not bothered by those buggers loitering around but not sure about my oncidiums... I noticed that ants would be permanently wrapping around the flower spikes and after a while, the plant aborted its flowers :o/>/> I wonder if it is due to the ants or simply because the plant is not ready...
0

#24 User is offline   Greyfingers 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2086
  • Joined: 05-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:39 AM

View PostBusy Bee, on 22 December 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Impressed with your observations! :)/>/>/>

I have the same headache with mealy bugs till I have to give up my lemon grass and chilli altogether though I am a big curry fan :(/>/>/> If mealy bugs hit my hibiscus, I would make it totally botak and it works so far.

As for my orchids, I am not bothered by those buggers loitering around but not sure about my oncidiums... I noticed that ants would be permanently wrapping around the flower spikes and after a while, the plant aborted its flowers :o/>/>/> I wonder if it is due to the ants or simply because the plant is not ready...


Is your hibiscus doing well? May I know what fertilizer you are feeding it with?
0

#25 User is offline   Busy Bee 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 171
  • Joined: 04-April 16
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:17 PM

View PostGreyfingers, on 22 December 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

Is your hibiscus doing well? May I know what fertilizer you are feeding it with?


Not sure how well is well... Mine are considered cheapo type (more easy to flower) and have been with me for almost 10 years. I gave them minimal care and would feed them some sheep poop when I remember.

This is the photo that I took recently. December is usually the flowering season ^_^/>/>

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j419/SuLinLua/20161207_092018_zpsxbawcif7.jpg
0

#26 User is offline   Greyfingers 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2086
  • Joined: 05-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Singapore

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:11 AM

View PostBusy Bee, on 23 December 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

Not sure how well is well... Mine are considered cheapo type (more easy to flower) and have been with me for almost 10 years. I gave them minimal care and would feed them some sheep poop when I remember.

This is the photo that I took recently. December is usually the flowering season ^_^/>/>/>

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j419/SuLinLua/20161207_092018_zpsxbawcif7.jpg


Nice plant and thanks for your input.

I'm getting some chlorosis in my plants I think it was from the high potassium chemical fertilizer that I used. Now trying to correct it back using a balanced fertilizer. I hope I'm right about using the balanced fertilizer.

May try sheep poo after the chlorosis is corrected.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users