GCS Forum: Starfruit flowers but no fruit - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Starfruit flowers but no fruit

#1 User is offline   wrightia 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:43 PM

I have a starfruit tree grown on the ground from seed. It is 3 years old and about 3 metres tall. Foliage looks thick and healthy. It has flowered about 3 times this year but no fruit so far. There were some very small fruit in the latest bloom but all have since disappeared. I have seen some bulbuls pecking at the flowers. Not sure if this has anything to do with the lack of fruit. Can someone advise what the problem might be? thank you

#2 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

Have you tried pruning? They usually respond to pruning and flower a lot.

But if have lots of flowers but no fruits, or fruits not reaching maturity, maybe it is a nutrient deficiency. K perhaps?

I just pee on it...free organic broad spectrum fertiliser.

This post has been edited by keff: 10 August 2016 - 09:56 PM

#3 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:23 PM

Did u fertiliser with the wrong fertiliser .

#4 User is offline   wrightia 

• Pip

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:37 PM

View Postkeff, on 10 August 2016 - 09:45 PM, said:

Have you tried pruning? They usually respond to pruning and flower a lot.

But if have lots of flowers but no fruits, or fruits not reaching maturity, maybe it is a nutrient deficiency. K perhaps?

I just pee on it...free organic broad spectrum fertiliser.

I pruned it back a bit recently cos it's getting too tall. The first two rounds of flowering no fruit at all. Third round bore tiny fruit. I was hopeful but seems overnight all gone.

I thought pee is mostly nitrates? My banana tree and papaya tree on same patch of ground bear fruit

#5 User is offline   wrightia 

• Pip

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:39 PM

View Postdigitalgate, on 10 August 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

Did u fertiliser with the wrong fertiliser .

Hmm...I haven't really been adding fertiliser, mostly organic compost I buy from nursery and waste water from washing rice and vege, etc.

#6 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

View Postwrightia, on 10 August 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:

I pruned it back a bit recently cos it's getting too tall. The first two rounds of flowering no fruit at all. Third round bore tiny fruit. I was hopeful but seems overnight all gone.

I thought pee is mostly nitrates? My banana tree and papaya tree on same patch of ground bear fruit

Pee composition depends on diet. Of course meat-heavy western diets result in higher N (urea) content. Good thing about urea is that it decomposes over time with release of NH3 and N2. If you store pee for a few weeks the N proportion decreases and results with something like NPK 1-1-1 which is a nice balanced fert. You may prefer this method.

Banana and papaya are very heavy feeders. Do you think they might be out-competing your starfruit for the P or K?

How far apart are the trees?

#7 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:47 PM

Starfruit tree is known to drop fruits before they ripen. One possibility is the presence of fruit fly or some pests. Growers sometimes wrap their fruits with paper bags or plastic bags. There are varieties that bear very well.

#8 User is offline   wrightia 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:19 PM

View Postkeff, on 11 August 2016 - 02:16 PM, said:

Pee composition depends on diet. Of course meat-heavy western diets result in higher N (urea) content. Good thing about urea is that it decomposes over time with release of NH3 and N2. If you store pee for a few weeks the N proportion decreases and results with something like NPK 1-1-1 which is a nice balanced fert. You may prefer this method.

Banana and papaya are very heavy feeders. Do you think they might be out-competing your starfruit for the P or K?

How far apart are the trees?

Starfuit is about 2m away from banana and papaya, which are next to each other, so I don't think they are responsible.

#9 User is offline   wrightia 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:22 PM

View PostAhSeng, on 11 August 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

Starfruit tree is known to drop fruits before they ripen. One possibility is the presence of fruit fly or some pests. Growers sometimes wrap their fruits with paper bags or plastic bags. There are varieties that bear very well.

I don't see any pests though, not even fruit flies. Most of the time no fruit at all, the flowers bloom, dry up and drop off.

#10 User is offline   Kokpk88 

• Pip

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

I bought mine from a nursery with height 1.5m. The flowering season (lots of flowers) is typically 2 times a year. In the beginning, the fruits either drop off or v small abt 5-8cm. Now they are abt 8-12cm after 2 years. I prune after the major fruiting season. Have to fertilize 1-2 times a month. I use organic fertilizer. My friend who also grew star fruits told me that my fruits are small cos not enough sun. Also suggested using peat on the roots. U can try that.

This post has been edited by Kokpk88: 18 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

#11 User is offline   wrightia 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

View PostKokpk88, on 18 August 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

I bought mine from a nursery with height 1.5m. The flowering season (lots of flowers) is typically 2 times a year. In the beginning, the fruits either drop off or v small abt 5-8cm. Now they are abt 8-12cm after 2 years. I prune after the major fruiting season. Have to fertilize 1-2 times a month. I use organic fertilizer. My friend who also grew star fruits told me that my fruits are small cos not enough sun. Also suggested using peat on the roots. U can try that.

Thanks for sharing. Yes I think sun or lack of it is a problem in my little garden. Houses around me block out a fair bit of light. so far none of the guava, custard apple, star fruit and chempedak has bore fruit. :(/>/>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users