Page 1 of 1

To Split or Not To Split

#1 User is offline   Busy Bee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:43 AM

Hi,
The baby of my Vanda Apec Blue is drown by its mama's roots. It was extremely difficult to dig out and hence, I decided to keep both of them together.
My friend recently came to my place and insisted that I should split both of them as the mama would overpower and hinder the growth of its baby. She said I should chop the mama and repot it :o/>/>
I am even more sceptical to separate them now that the baby has grown into a toddler, around 6 inches tall.

Should I split them up?

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j419/SuLinLua/20160621_090015_zps9hgod6ff.jpg

#2 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

I don't see the mama blocking the keiki's light. And since they are still joint together, the keiki can still draw sustenance from the mama. So I wouldn't split it.

#3 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:30 AM

Btw, aerial roots of vandas are just messy, but they don't drown each other, as long as you are watering and feeding them regularly.

#4 User is offline   Busy Bee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

Sigh... my friend said I am as if housing 10 people in a little shoe-box apartment. How can my plants be happy :huh:/>/>/>
but so far both mama and baby are growing well and I don't think I want to disturb them.
Thanks for your assurance ^_^/>/>

#5 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostBusy Bee, on 24 June 2016 - 12:05 PM, said:

Sigh... my friend said I am as if housing 10 people in a little shoe-box apartment. How can my plants be happy :huh:/>/>/>/>
but so far both mama and baby are growing well and I don't think I want to disturb them.
Thanks for your assurance ^_^/>/>/>

Nah. You are growing vanda, not chilli. There is no crowding here. The roots gets all the water and food from your daily watering and misting, and is not dependent on any medium.

#6 User is offline   Yeong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

I agree with sthh, don't do anything to it.
Sometimes, flower can come out from keiki, like my this one.

https://c6.staticfli..._83d4cc40f2.jpg

#7 User is offline   Busy Bee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

Your vanda is nice.

I would usually remove the keiki but in this case, the keiki is buried deep underneath. Worry my fat fingers would break the roots if I forcefully dig it out :unsure:/>/>

I remember watching a youtube video of a guy showing his Pachara Delight being grown into a gigantic ball with countless vandas. Super impressive! That's why I thought it should be ok to leave them intact.

#8 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostBusy Bee, on 27 June 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Your vanda is nice.

I would usually remove the keiki but in this case, the keiki is buried deep underneath. Worry my fat fingers would break the roots if I forcefully dig it out :unsure:/>/>/>

I remember watching a youtube video of a guy showing his Pachara Delight being grown into a gigantic ball with countless vandas. Super impressive! That's why I thought it should be ok to leave them intact.

When multiple keiki grow together with the mother plant into adulthood, you get a specimen plant ready for a showing

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users