GCS Forum: Complex patiolaris sundews - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Complex patiolaris sundews Whats wrong with my sundew?

#1 User is offline   friends 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

Hi....i have been keeping my drosera falconeri for a few months but the leafs that it produces are alittle deformed sometimes i would feed the plant but it does not curl on the food too....Leafs curl alittle it has been like this for quite awhile but did not die.I too have a drosera kenaellyi (not sure of spelling) and it pretty much stays the same size despite feeding it and recently its new leafs suddenly shrunk 3x its normal size and idea why doesnt it get bigger and shrink suddenly?Any help would be greatly appreciated 😊

#2 User is offline   Cindy 

• Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:07 PM

Hi, may we have some info about your growing conditions so that we can be of better help? E.g. lighting, media etc :flowers:/>

#3 User is offline   friends 

• PipPip

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

View PostCindy, on 07 March 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

Hi, may we have some info about your growing conditions so that we can be of better help? E.g. lighting, media etc :flowers:/>/>
HI,i have been keeping my sundews under direct sunlight for 2 to 3hours a day but recently,i have put them under T-5s

#4 User is offline   friends 

• PipPip

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:28 PM

View Postfriends, on 07 March 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

HI,i have been keeping my sundews under direct sunlight for 2 to 3hours a day but recently,i have put my drosera kennellyi under T-5s and my drosera falconeri is grown in 90-100percent humidity with it covered with a saran wrap with small holes but now he gets roughly 8hours of direct sunlight at my moms house.Both of the plants are grown in half sphagnum moss and a half peat and perlite mix with sphagnum moss on the top.

This post has been edited by friends: 07 March 2016 - 04:32 PM

#5 User is offline   nep 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Nepenthes, Tillandsia, Myrmecophytes, Amorphophallus and anything with large foliage!

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

2-3 hours is definately not enough... Drosera typically requires 5-7 hours of direct light for optimal growth. Anything less than that would usually result in a faded looking plant that is etiolated and generally weak looking.

I know of friends who use artificial lighting as a supplement for lack of natural lighting and they have the lights on for 10 hours or so and the plants colour up beautifully! Once you get the lighting right, there's really not much problems with this genus.

#6 User is offline   friends 

• PipPip

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:59 PM

View Postnep, on 07 March 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

2-3 hours is definately not enough... Drosera typically requires 5-7 hours of direct light for optimal growth. Anything less than that would usually result in a faded looking plant that is etiolated and generally weak looking.

I know of friends who use artificial lighting as a supplement for lack of natural lighting and they have the lights on for 10 hours or so and the plants colour up beautifully! Once you get the lighting right, there's really not much problems with this genus.

Thanks for the help πŸ˜€
I do have one complex sundew that's growing beautifully though even without much light XD (drosera falconeri)(petiolaris) a hybrid.

#7 User is offline   friends 

• PipPip

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:53 PM

View Postfriends, on 07 March 2016 - 10:59 PM, said:

Thanks for the help πŸ˜€
I do have one complex sundew that's growing beautifully though even without much light XD (drosera falconeri)(petiolaris) a hybrid.

Because drosera kennellyi is shrinking Everyday I decided to repot it today and it's roots were covered in white stuffs?I soaked the plant in water and tried to get rid as many of the white stuffs as possible but I Guess some still remain.....That was probably the problem to it shrinking.Anyone knows what causes it and how do I remove it from my plant?Any help is much appreciated πŸ˜€

#8 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:41 AM

If the white stuff can move, they are root mealies bug. To eradicate them , i usually dump the pot with medium into a pot of warm water at 47 degree. Repeat this for few days, and u should be able to drown and cook them

Alternatively, you can remove all the medium, and wash the roots clean and repot in new medium. Takes lots of cuttings before that.

This post has been edited by sthh: 11 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

#9 User is offline   friends 

• PipPip

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

View Poststhh, on 11 March 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

If the white stuff can move, they are root mealies bug. To eradicate them , i usually dump the pot with medium into a pot of warm water at 47 degree. Repeat this for few days, and u should be able to drown and cook them

Alternatively, you can remove all the medium, and wash the roots clean and repot in new medium. Takes lots of cuttings before that.

Alright,thanks for the helpπŸ˜„ I'm already soaking the plant in warm water

#10 User is offline   nep 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Nepenthes, Tillandsia, Myrmecophytes, Amorphophallus and anything with large foliage!

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:53 PM

Really really bad idea to soak the pot into warm water... Not only are you going to damage the sensitive root hairs(which would stress the plant out severely), you are also going to kill any beneficial microorganisms present in your media. Not to mention, water doesn't reach all parts of the media.

I'd suggest, if it's not too late, to use this systemic pesticide (Horti-Po) which can be purchased from any supermarket with a gardening section. The pesticide would be adsorbed by the plant and any pest feeding on it's sap would be eradicated causing little to no stress to the plant at all.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users