Page 1 of 1

Queries on orchid

#1 User is offline   season 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Travels, photography, gardening

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

For cattleya-does dividing help stimulate the back bulbs to sprout new roots and shoots?

Is this a dendrobium? http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv2/season4419/DSC_0733_1.jpg

How to and when can I divide it?

Thanks

#2 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:29 PM

Maybe need to see the flowers to determine if it is cattleya or dendrobium. or any one knows ?

If you want, this plant can only be divided by two and it is in the middle, three pseudobulbs on each side.

For coconut husk chunks, you can clamp a few old roots in between the coconut husk, with the rhizome outside the medium. The aerial roots will die in the coconut husk chunks, but new shoots will appear from the rhizome, and news roots grows from the new shoots. If using newly added coconut husk chunks, need to soak it as it is difficult for orchid roots to grow on new coconut husks. maybe use seaweed extracts or rooting hormone.

If using charcoal as medium, cut off alot of old roots until left 2inches. Place the rhizome on top of the charcoal , and secure the pseudobulbs with two sticks and coated wires such that the pseudobulbs is standing in the middle or at the side of the pot. If it is a clumping type of cattleya hybrid, I guess can plant in the center. If it is a cattleya that grows in a straight line type, then plant at the side of the pot, and let it grow inwards. I think many people use charcoal.

Alternatively, just wait for it to grow some more before re-potting.

Forgot to add, you can use fungicide on the newly cut part of the rhizome to prevent rotting, or cinnamon powder, I use chalk powder as desiccant on the cut part.

This post has been edited by AhSeng: 29 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

#3 User is offline   Yeong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

For orchid plants, dividing them will make the plants to produce more shoots provided the
plants are healthy and they are flowering plants. When an orchid plant is divided, make sure that
each division will have at least 3 back bulds and 1 new growth.

Your picture: It is dendrobium.

I don't suggest you divide your plant now. But I suggest you repot it.
Remove the plant from the pot and cut off all the old/dead roots and repot it using charcoal debris, make sure that
the roots are covered with charcoal.

#4 User is offline   season 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:01 PM

I just learn that cattleya is also sensitive to pot size. Last year, I repot one in a pot that is way too big so should I change its pot. BTW how to know what is suitable pot size? My catt sends out new growth on both ends.

#5 User is offline   Yeong 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

Choosing a rigth pot size for orchid is important. It depends on the root mass of the plant.
After cutting off the dead and decaying roots from the plant, choose a pot that allow the root mass to
sit in comfortably, then fill it with potting medium.
If the size of the pot is too big, the plant tends to focus on developing new roots rather than giving
new growth.

#6 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

That black net pot is ok to reuse.

#7 User is offline   season 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchidtalk/attachments/cattleyas-vandas-dendrobiums-bloom/20281d1246158151-caulocattleya-chantilly-lace-twinkle-1.jpg

caulocattleya-chantilly-lace-twinkle

Manage to find a picture and name of the plant from the web. This is how the flower of this plant looks like.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users