GCS Forum: Need help to identify them... - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Need help to identify them...

#1 User is offline   ninome 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:50 AM

Hi all,
Im new to orchids and needed help to identify them. Thank you.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/shuxian_tan/Mobile%20Uploads/20160211_000622.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/shuxian_tan/Mobile%20Uploads/20160211_000634_1.jpg

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:16 AM

Tough as orchid can very similiar with different cross.

#3 User is offline   ninome 

• Pip

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

I bought it from a farm before CNY, they didnt indicate the type of orchid.So i did some research but im confuse between Phalaenopsis orchid and dendrobium orchid and the white orchid looks like Phalaenopsis-type dendrobium hybrids. So i needed some help to identify them. Thank you.

#4 User is offline   kanza 

• Pip

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

Hi,

Can totally understand the confusion. But Dendrobium-Phalaenopsis type hybrids (or Den-phals) are really dendrobiums and not phalaenopsis. The Den-phal name is just to describe these hybrids with arching flower sprays and the flowers themselves that are similar (but not to me..) to Phalaenopsis orchids, a totally different genus of orchid. Your plants are dendrobiums and care should be given as typical of dendrobiums, ie. good sun and good draining media, much different from actual Phalaenopsis care which requires more shade. There are many of these dendrobium hybrids out there and if it comes unnamed from your seller its hard to tell as what digitalgate has mentioned.

Cheers, happy CNY.

#5 User is offline   ninome 

• Pip

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Thanks kanza....i will go do more research on dendrobium...

#6 User is offline   ninome 

• Pip

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

I have another question. My room used to have bright sunlight but now the gov building a new hdb next to my house and block the sunlight i used to have and my room become so dark. Can i move my orchid to another room in the morning and move back to my room at night? Will it cause my orchid to get shock when i move it around the house?

#7 User is offline   kanza 

• Pip

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

Although I personally don't like the hassle of shifting pots around, i do not think that there will be such drastic changes in environment within a house, it will just be part of its day/night cycle..

only thing to note would be the light direction as plants all grow towards light. Shifting it and then replacing the pot at a different angle each time can produce awkward growth directions or if by design can help you balance out the new growths. I think its especially important when the plant is forming new spike of flowers which will grow towards light also. Having a consistent light direction will give you a symmetrical and elegant spray of flowers otherwise you may get wonky spike and bud angles or even bud blasts..

#8 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:28 PM

i feel for you. I been there and done that on shifting of plants. It does affect the plant.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users