GCS Forum: My sweet basil is not growing - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

My sweet basil is not growing

#1 User is offline   Claw406 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:06 PM

Hi,

Can anyone advise what is wrong with my sweet basil? I grew these from seeds and it has been almost 3 months at least yet they are still tiny and petite.
My link

They are placed on my kitchen counter by the windows and there is morning sun daily.

#2 User is offline   Dennis The Menace 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Mariculture, Agriculture, Horticulture, Aquaculture, Fishing, etc etc :)

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

View PostClaw406, on 05 February 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

Hi,

Can anyone advise what is wrong with my sweet basil? I grew these from seeds and it has been almost 3 months at least yet they are still tiny and petite.
My link

They are placed on my kitchen counter by the windows and there is morning sun daily.

I would say it's either lack of sunlight or lack of fert. But i would try fixing the first assumption first.

#3 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

over crowded

#4 User is offline   Claw406 

• Pip

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

View Postdigitalgate, on 05 February 2016 - 07:00 PM, said:

over crowded

Need to remove some ?

#5 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:24 AM

One pot ,just one or two plant.

#6 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

Are both pots using vermiculite as a form of soil? Vermiculite is the shiny, shimmering soil that usually comes with starter pots. Good for seed germination, not good for plants when they've grown up.

And separate the plants as DG has suggested. If the leaves are still pale and yellow, try adding a little fertiliser and see if it rectifies the problem. I assume finding a spot with more sunlight will be more difficult, so you can try fertilisers first. Don't put a lot of fertiliser hor, otherwise your basil will kenna leaf burn. Less is safer.

#7 User is offline   Claw406 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

View Postlazearus, on 06 February 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

Are both pots using vermiculite as a form of soil? Vermiculite is the shiny, shimmering soil that usually comes with starter pots. Good for seed germination, not good for plants when they've grown up.

And separate the plants as DG has suggested. If the leaves are still pale and yellow, try adding a little fertiliser and see if it rectifies the problem. I assume finding a spot with more sunlight will be more difficult, so you can try fertilisers first. Don't put a lot of fertiliser hor, otherwise your basil will kenna leaf burn. Less is safer.

The green pot is using soil that came with the kit, I guess it's vermiculite since it has the shimmery stuff in it. The white pot is using regular potting soil.

Each individual stem seems v skinny, I'm afraid they will all die if I change the soil now. Is it ok to pick them out n put in regular potting soil?

View Postdigitalgate, on 06 February 2016 - 07:24 AM, said:

One pot ,just one or two plant.

Oh dear, seems like I have too many plants in one pot then. 😨

#8 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

View PostClaw406, on 07 February 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

The green pot is using soil that came with the kit, I guess it's vermiculite since it has the shimmery stuff in it. The white pot is using regular potting soil.

Each individual stem seems v skinny, I'm afraid they will all die if I change the soil now. Is it ok to pick them out n put in regular potting soil?

Oh dear, seems like I have too many plants in one pot then. 😨

Yah, a few may die during the repotting. You repot half of one pot first to play safe? Keep the roots wet at all times during the repotting to minimise transplant shock.

#9 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:51 PM

View PostClaw406, on 05 February 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

Hi,

My link

Too wet and too crowded.

#10 User is offline   Kokpk88 

• Pip

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

Ok I had the same issue. Morning sun is not enough. I moved it to full sun exposure and trim back the flowers and it grows furiously in days. I didn't even add fertilizers.

This post has been edited by Kokpk88: 18 August 2016 - 05:17 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users