No choice, adeniums not flowering :closedeyes:/>

#23 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

View Poststhh, on 21 March 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

No choice, adeniums not flowering :closedeyes:/>/>

Every time I read your replies, I umchio.

#24 User is offline   ycloh1 

• PipPip

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:04 PM

View Poststhh, on 26 February 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

All my lithops in 1 pot. Bottom half of the pot is filled with fast draining volcanic sand.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0787_zpsuzy2hhnl.jpg

#25 User is offline   ycloh1 

• PipPip

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:08 PM

Hi. I' new to lithop. Recently kept some. When do u need to water them? I read that if see some wrinkle at the shoulder it need water. Any advice?
Loh

#26 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

View Postycloh1, on 21 March 2016 - 10:08 PM, said:

Hi. I' new to lithop. Recently kept some. When do u need to water them? I read that if see some wrinkle at the shoulder it need water. Any advice?
Loh

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1006_zpsds3dhabl.jpg

Here's my understanding of lithops.

1. They love water. They love water so much they will absorb every single drop of water available, and cannot stop absorbing all available water till they explode. So if your lithops has a water holding capacity of 5ml, give it 1ml a day for 5 days when they need the water.

2. Do not water them when they are resting. Do not water them when they looks plump. Do no water them when they are splitting. When they are splitting, the new set of leaves are absorbing nutrient and water from the old set. If you water, they will be absorbing water and nutrient from old leaves and roots, and will explode. Only water them slightly when the old leaves are totally wrinkled and dried up.
They rest and shut down when it is too hot. Do not give them water when they are resting.

3. Some of them can go for 2 years without water. Only water them when they are wrinkled.

4. When in doubt, don't water them.

5. Do not pot very many different species of lithops together and lithops with different growing cycle together as they could be in different growing cycle with different water requirement. Otherwise watering them can be very difficult. Try to pot them in shallow pot. They like sand, and well draining medium. I put pumice at the base so that all the water is drained out very quickly.

6. The bigger the lithops, the higher the water capacity. Hence some of these bigger ones are more forgiving when you overwater slightly.

7. They recover from any old injuries when they grow new set of leaves. Some can live for a very long time, about 50-95 years.

This post has been edited by sthh: 22 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

#27 User is offline   Josh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

View Poststhh, on 22 March 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

1. They love water. They love water so much they will absorb every single drop of water available, and cannot stop absorbing all available water till they explode. So if your lithops has a water holding capacity of 5ml, give it 1ml a day for 5 days when they need the water.

2. Do not water them when they are resting. Do not water them when they looks plump. Do no water them when they are splitting. When they are splitting, the new set of leaves are absorbing nutrient and water from the old set. If you water, they will be absorbing water and nutrient from old leaves and roots, and will explode. Only water them slightly when the old leaves are totally wrinkled and dried up.
They rest and shut down when it is too hot. Do do give them water when they are resting.

3. Some of them can go for 2 years without water. Only water them when they are wrinkled.

5. Do not pot very many different species of lithops together and lithops with different growing cycle together as they could be in different growing cycle with different water requirement. Otherwise watering them can be very difficult. Try to pot them in shallow pot. They like sand, and well draining medium. I put pumice at the base so that all the water is drained out very quickly.

6. The bigger the lithops, the higher the water capacity. Hence some of these bigger ones are more forgiving when you overwater slightly.

7. They recover from any old injuries when they grow new set of leaves. Some can live for a very long time, about 50-95 years.

Yo Sthh,
Very detailed and informative. Seems like these lithops have a feeding habit of 'goldfishes' and you are keeping a few time bombs (can explode one :P/>/>)

- watering portion
=> how to see if the lithops are wrinkled ? because it's time to water them. how long they will take to turn from plump to wrinkled ?
=> dripper ? i assume to use on watering them. drip on plant ?

This post has been edited by Josh: 22 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

#28 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

View PostJosh, on 22 March 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

Yo Sthh,
Very detailed and informative. Seems like these lithops have a feeding habit of 'goldfishes' and you are keeping a few time bombs (can explode one :P/>/>/>/>/>)

- watering portion
=> how to see if the lithops are wrinkled ? because it's time to water them. how long they will take to turn from plump to wrinkled ?
=> dripper ? i assume to use on watering them. drip on plant ?

Actually, my goldfishes all know when to stop eating, lol. It's the lithops that cannot stop drinking.
If you look at the first picture, they are all very plump. This is not good. When they are wrinkled, the lines on these plump lithops actually becomes grooves. It is quite obvious. I use my 5ml syringe to water lithops.

Pioneer is selling flowering size lithops and Fenestraria for 5 bucks a pot, rather cheap. Go get some to try. Fenestraria is grown like lithops, but just slightly less extreme.

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1001_zps1zcaorft.jpg

This post has been edited by sthh: 22 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

#29 User is offline   Josh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

View Poststhh, on 22 March 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

Actually, my goldfishes all know when to stop eating, lol. It's the lithops that cannot stop drinking.
If you look at the first picture, they are all very plump. This is not good. When they are wrinkled, the lines on these plump lithops actually becomes grooves. It is quite obvious. I use my 5ml syringe to water lithops.

Pioneer is selling flowering size lithops and Fenestraria for 5 bucks a pot, rather cheap. Go get some to try. Fenestraria is grown like lithops, but just slightly less extreme.

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1001_zps1zcaorft.jpg

wonder if i can count the wrinkles on the stems as one of the indicative factors. this is one of the few species which i cannot manage them properly. somehow i heard that these are also seasonal. hard to know they are beginning to split / die.

Thanks on the suggestion on Fenestraria. i most probably can attempt Pioneer after my Taipei trip next week :P/>

#30 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostJosh, on 22 March 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

wonder if i can count the wrinkles on the stems as one of the indicative factors. this is one of the few species which i cannot manage them properly. somehow i heard that these are also seasonal. hard to know they are beginning to split / die.

Thanks on the suggestion on Fenestraria. i most probably can attempt Pioneer after my Taipei trip next week :P/>/>

You are going Taipei? Try to get this. I didn't realise it is so rare in SG.
Tephrocactus geometricus
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0066_zpsb4owczfc.jpg

#31 User is offline   ycloh1 

• PipPip

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

View Poststhh, on 22 March 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1006_zpsds3dhabl.jpg

They rest and shut down when it is too hot. Do not give them water when they are resting.

#32 User is offline   ycloh1 

• PipPip

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. No water no itchy hands until they need it. I can do that. I will try to post my lithop images.not sure using hand phone how to post images in this forum.

#33 User is offline   ycloh1 

• PipPip

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

View Poststhh, on 13 February 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

This old echinopsis subdenudata made quite a few pups, and can flower in rather dim light. http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/P7061222_zpsoyqaspgx.jpg

Daughter flowering on 17 Feb
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH0710_zpskpfizzia.jpg

#34 User is offline   ycloh1 

• PipPip

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

Need help, The cactus below with no spines. I own one, it look growing and with 1 pup. But it have 3 black dimple it the lower part of the plant. I thought I was an insect but is not. Question is the cactus having problems?

#35 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:13 AM

View Postycloh1, on 25 March 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

Need help, The cactus below with no spines. I own one, it look growing and with 1 pup. But it have 3 black dimple it the lower part of the plant. I thought I was an insect but is not. Question is the cactus having problems?

Hard to comment without a picture. Could be insect bites, or fungal infection.

This post has been edited by sthh: 25 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

#36 User is offline   ycloh1 

• PipPip

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:45 PM

IH, I trying to up load the image. Back soon.....

#37 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

My small cactus decided to bloom after it got a bigger pot. A Rebutia albiflora?

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1112_zpst5jyp7qy.jpg

Under the sun, it looks all white. http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1108_zpshevmieo0.jpg

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1126_zpstm0ddi31.jpg

This post has been edited by sthh: 30 March 2016 - 10:38 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users