GCS Forum: Dragon Fruit in flower - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Dragon Fruit in flower

#1 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

My Dragon fruit is in flower again , I have taken so many cuttings but no one in Australia wants this scraggly plant with delicious fruit.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20151215_160120%201_zpsuxtzcktz.jpg

#2 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

View PostRobert1943, on 15 December 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

My Dragon fruit is in flower again , I have taken so many cuttings but no one in Australia wants this scraggly plant with delicious fruit.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20151215_160120%201_zpsuxtzcktz.jpg

Nice fruits, you kidding, nobody wants your dragon fruit cuttings?

#3 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

View Poststhh, on 15 December 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

No I have pots of established cuttings but nobody wants, looks as though I will have to put in the rubbish bin soon.
Bananas I have no problems giving plants away two were given away only yesterday but not the poor Dragon fruit.
PS I know I am rambling on but my Sour Sop tree I pruned back severely has nice fruits forming though not as much in past years because of the heavy pruning.

#4 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostRobert1943, on 15 December 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

No I have pots of established cuttings but nobody wants, looks as though I will have to put in the rubbish bin soon.
Bananas I have no problems giving plants away two were given away only yesterday but not the poor Dragon fruit.
PS I know I am rambling on but my Sour Sop tree I pruned back severely has nice fruits forming though not as much in past years because of the heavy pruning.

But there is so much space in australia, just leave it in somewhere, and there will be free fruits for others. Afterall, dragon fruits are cactus, and will surely grow without care.

#5 User is offline   SalmanTropical 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Subtropical plants and love all plants

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:05 PM

Wow, that's nice

#6 User is offline   Hupsusie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Edible plants and herbs. Cactus n succulents

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:08 PM

View PostRobert1943, on 15 December 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

I was advised not to prune too much of the sour sop tree. They dont do well if over pruned?
Dunno true or not

This post has been edited by Hupsusie: 18 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

#7 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

View Poststhh, on 15 December 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

I finally gave away one dragon fruit plant this week, I came out this morning and these are the two beautiful dragon fruit flowers, that had bees really getting into the nectar.
Stage 2 the red fruit will form.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20151231_085834_zpsy2vjbw4s.jpg

#8 User is offline   greennature 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

Maybe if u let yr friends taste the fruit then they might want to grow their own?

#9 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:02 PM

View Postgreennature, on 01 January 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

Maybe if u let yr friends taste the fruit then they might want to grow their own?

I agree the fruits are very nice and lots of asians love eating them but Europeans are a little wary of trying.
I did give a plant this week to an Australian friend who likes to grow unusual plants, so there is still hope.

#10 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostRobert1943, on 01 January 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

I agree the fruits are very nice and lots of asians love eating them but Europeans are a little wary of trying.
I did give a plant this week to an Australian friend who likes to grow unusual plants, so there is still hope.

Haha it's the seeds. They look like insect eggs inside the white flesh. Maybe you can tell them that the tiny seeds will aid in digestion (acting like fibre), they'll be willing to try it out haha.

Gratz on the beautiful blooms man. Hope they both succeed in fruiting for you!

#11 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

View Postlazearus, on 01 January 2016 - 05:09 PM, said:

Haha it's the seeds. They look like insect eggs inside the white flesh. Maybe you can tell them that the tiny seeds will aid in digestion (acting like fibre), they'll be willing to try it out haha.

Gratz on the beautiful blooms man. Hope they both succeed in fruiting for you!

Thanks lazearus will keep you posted when the fruit forms.
I am trying out some yellow Australian lettuce which is very hardy eg heat tolerant will let you know how this comes out, and if it is successful you are welcome to some seeds or to any other seeds that are successful.

#12 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostRobert1943, on 01 January 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

Thanks lazearus will keep you posted when the fruit forms.
I am trying out some yellow Australian lettuce which is very hardy eg heat tolerant will let you know how this comes out, and if it is successful you are welcome to some seeds or to any other seeds that are successful.

Haha thank you for your offer! Nah it's okay, looking at your veges and your strawberries is good enough for me ;)/>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users