GCS Forum: Pineapples - GCS Forum

• 2 Pages +

Pineapples

#1 User is offline   Greenleaf brownthumb 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:46 AM

I've just managed to root my first pineapple in water.

I tried rooting another in soil and I think its dying. Got two others in water, waiting to see if this method consistently puts out roots.

It's gonna be time to transplant soon and am wondering what's a good growing condition? The usual sun and well draining soil?
I've limited sun in my area so I'm scheming to squat on some HDB land downstairs but scared people will steal the pineapple plant. :/

#2 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

Usually the maintenance contractors will clear it away. It is a waste of effort planting it, unless there are suitable locations.

This post has been edited by AhSeng: 21 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

#3 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:07 PM

the diameter of the pineapple plant is close to 1.5m . I doubt you have the space to grow in HDB setting. Unless you do guerrilla planting.

#4 User is offline   Greenleaf brownthumb 

• PipPip

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostAhSeng, on 21 November 2015 - 09:08 PM, said:

Usually the maintenance contractors will clear it away. It is a waste of effort planting it, unless there are suitable locations.

:(/>

I'm already doing guerrilla planting. I think and hope the contractors don't throw away the plant. I put in styrofoam boxes and maybe if they kp, then I move to another spot. Am squatting on the carpark rooftop garden area which has no visitors anyway. Think the only visitors are the gardening contractors!

And 1.5m... That is big man... Do they need a big pot size?

#5 User is offline   Greenleaf brownthumb 

• PipPip

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

I've planted a pineapple and have since moved it out under full sun. Oh man... it is not doing too well at all.
The leaves have started to yellow. I read somewhere that yellow leaves means overwatering but I have let my soil dry out le before watering (soil is really quite dry) but problem still continues.

Argh. Should I move it back under shade or increase watering?
Anyone here have experience?

http://i64.tinypic.com/14sfp8l.jpg

This post has been edited by Greenleaf brownthumb: 14 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

#6 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

View PostGreenleaf brownthumb, on 14 January 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

I've planted a pineapple and have since moved it out under full sun. Oh man... it is not doing too well at all.
The leaves have started to yellow. I read somewhere that yellow leaves means overwatering but I have let my soil dry out le before watering (soil is really quite dry) but problem still continues.

\
It will come good just be patient as it can take up to 20 months to fruit, they are part of the Bromeliad family so roots do not have to be too wet, but water into the top which will hold and use the moisture given.

#7 User is offline   Greenleaf brownthumb 

• PipPip

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:52 PM

What's the watering pattern like?
Should I be watering it twice a week?

#8 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostGreenleaf brownthumb, on 16 January 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

What's the watering pattern like?
Should I be watering it twice a week?

That will okay but do not overwater or you can get root rot.

#9 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

View PostGreenleaf brownthumb, on 14 January 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

Three months ago, I have experimented growing 3 pineapple plants with my son from cut crowns. They were grown in pots under hot sun and watered once daily. 2 of them are in similar pot size as yours and 1 was purposely left in a tiny pot for 3 months. As a result, the latter has less and shorter leaves but almost recovered after transplanting although it is still slightly smaller than its peers. I an going to move my plants to bigger pots afew months later. Just growing to learn about science.

Noticed that the soil level in your pot is low and it may help if you repot to raise the plant to encourage better root growth and keep the plant hydrated under the hot sun.

Two weeks ago, I have been to the Pineapple Museum in JB. Noticed that the mature pineapple plants with big pineapples are grown in big pots of about 80 -100 cm. The leave span is about 1 to 1.5m. They have a plant in a pot size 20% larger than yours but the fruit is tiny (size of an apple) and the leave span is smaller.

#10 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:38 AM

View PostGraceS, on 24 January 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

Three months ago, I have experimented growing 3 pineapple plants with my son from cut crowns. They were grown in pots under hot sun and watered once daily. 2 of them are in similar pot size as yours and 1 was purposely left in a tiny pot for 3 months. As a result, the latter has less and shorter leaves but almost recovered after transplanting although it is still slightly smaller than its peers. I an going to move my plants to bigger pots afew months later. Just growing to learn about science.

Noticed that the soil level in your pot is low and it may help if you repot to raise the plant to encourage better root growth and keep the plant hydrated under the hot sun.

Two weeks ago, I have been to the Pineapple Museum in JB. Noticed that the mature pineapple plants with big pineapples are grown in big pots of about 80 -100 cm. The leave span is about 1 to 1.5m. They have a plant in a pot size 20% larger than yours but the fruit is tiny (size of an apple) and the leave span is smaller.

Good comment Grace I think you have made a good point, I have always grown in my garden so my experience with pots and pineapples is zero.
I love growing pineapples and the reward at the end of eating.

#11 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:51 AM

3 years wait for top cutting... good one.

#12 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

View Postdigitalgate, on 25 January 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

3 years wait for top cutting... good one.

20 months in Brisbane 18 months commercial growers so 3 years not correct. Pineapples will mature much quicker in tropical zones.

#13 User is offline   Preeti 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:12 PM

It took me 2 years in soil and now it is finally flowering

#14 User is offline   Greenleaf brownthumb 

• PipPip

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the pointers Grace!

Shall repot. I just salvaged a big pot from the dumpster heh. Will add somemore homemade compost to it and see how it goes.

I've been watering it very very little and its leaves are kinda back to green. I've another tiny crown with roots waiting to pot so shall I'll have two to experiment with on the watering patterns.

#15 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

View PostGreenleaf brownthumb, on 28 January 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Thanks for the pointers Grace!

Shall repot. I just salvaged a big pot from the dumpster heh. Will add somemore homemade compost to it and see how it goes.

I've been watering it very very little and its leaves are kinda back to green. I've another tiny crown with roots waiting to pot so shall I'll have two to experiment with on the watering patterns.

Most times to plant a pineapple crown I always allow 2/3 days so the bottom of the crown goes dry, only then do I plant the crown , which takes a couple of months to throw down roots.

#16 User is offline   Jacob 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hi all,

I know that it's quite common to propagate new pineapple from its crown.
However, the yield is pretty low; 1 crown 1 fruit & you have to wait for 1-3 years (depending on breed) to have the fruit.

I'd being doing quite successful growing 1 crown 1 new plant over the years but it's a slow process.
Pineapple waiting for harvesting, waiting it to yellow & smell nice.
Head too heavy that I need to tie a string to hold the plant upright.
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/jackal2475/IMG_20160314_123154_zpshger0dyf.jpg

Has anyone tried propagating pineapple by splitting the crown to 4?
Recently, my dad bought a pineapple & the seller split the crown to 4 & told my dad all 4 will grow into new plants.
I've all 4 on the ground for 4 weeks already but haven't see much of progress yet.

Pretty tempted to pulled out one to see if any roots had formed (which I did).
Some roots formed at the bottom part but haven't seen any new shoots on top.
LOL, need to put the guy back into the ground later in the evening.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/jackal2475/IMG_20160314_123400_zps7dc3jckt.jpg

While doing that, if anyone had this experience, pls share.

Jacob

This post has been edited by Jacob: 14 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

#17 User is offline   mm 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

Hi Jacob, this is a curious solution you (and the fruit seller) are suggesting. You obviously want more fruits, so the most obvious and logical solution, as you are attempting, is to grow more plants. But even if it is successful, wouldn't splitting the crown slow down the establishment of a new plant? Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy (and eat) more pineapples and have more fresh, whole crowns to plant? I am assuming, of course, that you are not planning to do this on a large, commercial scale involving thousands of plants. If you are, then it's a whole different propostion altogether .. :)/>/>

#18 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

MM, you are quite right I think. But just for the sake of discussion, it seems to me there are two possibilities why he might want to split the crown four ways:
1. He has a fantastic and rare/expensive specimen that he wants to reproduce vegetatively in a jiffy.
2. He is curious about the this seemingly drastic technique of propagation. I personally am intrigued by it and hope to see what results he got. I imagine the Malaysians know a thing or two about growing pineapples, and my eyes are wide open to see more on how it turns out.

#19 User is offline   Greenleaf brownthumb 

• PipPip

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

I read somewhere that pineapples will also produce suckers as offshoots that can be removed and replanted. Read that they grow faster than the crowns.

#20 User is offline   Jacob 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostGreenleaf brownthumb, on 15 March 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

I read somewhere that pineapples will also produce suckers as offshoots that can be removed and replanted. Read that they grow faster than the crowns.

That's quite true. I had several pineapple plants that's from the sucker.
However, it's almost the same as growing from the crown (singularly).
So far, only 1 sucker from 1 mother plant after the fruit is harvested.

Anyway, will keep u guys posted if the split 4 ways will work.
One thing for sure, it's much slower compared to a complete crown.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users