GCS Forum: Lettuce floating raft method - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Lettuce floating raft method

#1 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

I have successfully done growing lettuce in an old styrene box using the floating raft method. I am growing outside under my roof eaves with lots of hot sun as this photo shows, as the nutrient level goes down the raft also made from the styrene led also goes down.
The floating raft is the lid I cut down so it would fit into the box cavity.
I believe this could be down on a much lower scale with smaller styrene products, Bok Choy , lettuce and other leafy vegetables could be grown in this manner.
PS todays temperature is 32C growing in full sun and still surviving.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Mobile%20Uploads/20151104_1435011_zpszzsgxvfy.jpg

This post has been edited by Robert1943: 04 November 2015 - 01:05 PM

#2 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

Long time no see Robert!

Haha your veges look as healthy as ever. Will the gaps along the edges promote algae growth and ways for mosquitoes to enter though?

Anyway, as always, it is really awesome to look at your produce and your new experiments. :lol:/>

#3 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

View Postlazearus, on 05 November 2015 - 10:26 AM, said:

Long time no see Robert!

Haha your veges look as healthy as ever. Will the gaps along the edges promote algae growth and ways for mosquitoes to enter though?

Anyway, as always, it is really awesome to look at your produce and your new experiments. :lol:/>/>

Up till now I have no problems and the gaps are okay as they are, if they were any bigger I would put a strip of styrene around the edges. As the styrene box is filled with a very weak nutrient solution the box itself warps a little with the nutrient volume, so I cannot keep a perfect shape to the box.
I do not have any mosquito problem and I check each day with the root growth and plant growth.
We are in the subtropics with hot steamy days and storms.

#4 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Plant, moss, bonsai, etc

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

Green and lush vegetables you have there... with the float system. Thumbs up Robert!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users