• 3 Pages +

Lazzy's Garden Escapades

#41 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:08 AM

'Hawaiian Red Currant' Tomato

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hydroponics/43BD5566-BBEA-48BC-B9F4-25E774E77973.jpg

This is what regret looks like. 50+ seeds stuck on a paper towel. I should have dried the seeds on a container instead. Now bits of paper are stuck together with the seeds.

#42 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

26/4/2016 Tuesday. Hippie 'Dancing Queen'

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/49D2C0B8-C335-4E6A-A721-A3441E6BEDF0.jpg

Plant was sulking really badly. Possible cause was lack of roots available due to excessively thick basal plate. I have since washed off all the soil, peeled off the old tunic, removed 75% of the basal plate using a rusty pen knife (oops) sterilised with hydrogen peroxide solution, and wiped the bottom with hydrogen peroxide solution. Bulb is now sitting in a net pot filled with leca and plain water.

When in doubt during any form of plant rehabilitation, my go-to plan is always hydroponics haha. I'm also more inclined to save this specific bulb because it is the only one which has rebloomed for me (without forced dormancy).

#43 User is offline   islaverde 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:tree ferns, orchids, mosses, fragrant plants, anthuriums, alocasias, xanthosomas, monsteras, philodendrons, tropical america flora, heliconias, gingers, calatheas, creepers, forest ecology

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:22 PM

View Postlazearus, on 26 April 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

26/4/2016 Tuesday. Hippie 'Dancing Queen'

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/49D2C0B8-C335-4E6A-A721-A3441E6BEDF0.jpg

Plant was sulking really badly. Possible cause was lack of roots available due to excessively thick basal plate. I have since washed off all the soil, peeled off the old tunic, removed 75% of the basal plate using a rusty pen knife (oops) sterilised with hydrogen peroxide solution, and wiped the bottom with hydrogen peroxide solution. Bulb is now sitting in a net pot filled with leca and plain water.

When in doubt during any form of plant rehabilitation, my go-to plan is always hydroponics haha. I'm also more inclined to save this specific bulb because it is the only one which has rebloomed for me (without forced dormancy).

I read that the lack of roots could be due to use of some hormones that inhibited root formation - at the expense of form the flowering scapes. Did you get this from Japan?

#44 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:50 PM

View Postislaverde, on 26 April 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

I read that the lack of roots could be due to use of some hormones that inhibited root formation - at the expense of form the flowering scapes. Did you get this from Japan?

I got this from a mail order via Royal Colours in Nov 2014. It has since bloomed twice, once from the forced dormancy by the seller in Nov '14, and once in Nov '15. Wooo. If this is the case, I'd be really happy to get a bloom during this time of the year.

#45 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:16 AM

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/FDF1BC9D-6CF4-4FBE-AF29-00718210F5DF.jpg

Seems my lavender in my office really loves the TaoTronics E27 12W LED lamp I'm using. Got that on Amazon when it was on discount. It gets 5 hours of LED light a day, and it returns to the windowsill at the end of the day. Prior to using LED lights, it was very lanky with only 3 branches (the brown ones in the picture) with large inter-leaf gaps. After blasting it with LED lights, it is now branching out like crazy. Every node produces a new branch.

Interestingly, the leaves are not getting burned from the LED, in contrast to my adenium plant.

Now I'm starting it on a high calcium solution diet to mimic crushed egg shells. Let's see if it will produce flower stalks.

#46 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

View Postlazearus, on 24 May 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/FDF1BC9D-6CF4-4FBE-AF29-00718210F5DF.jpg

Seems my lavender in my office really loves the TaoTronics E27 12W LED lamp I'm using. Got that on Amazon when it was on discount. It gets 5 hours of LED light a day, and it returns to the windowsill at the end of the day. Prior to using LED lights, it was very lanky with only 3 branches (the brown ones in the picture) with large inter-leaf gaps. After blasting it with LED lights, it is now branching out like crazy. Every node produces a new branch.

Interestingly, the leaves are not getting burned from the LED, in contrast to my adenium plant.

Now I'm starting it on a high calcium solution diet to mimic crushed egg shells. Let's see if it will produce flower stalks.

Nice lavender. Which cultivar of lavender is this?

#47 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

View Poststhh, on 24 May 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

Nice lavender. Which cultivar of lavender is this?

Thanks! It is an Angustifolia. I got the mother plant from FEF Queensway 2 years back. This is a cutting of a cutting from the mother plant haha. Glad I made them cuttings, because the mother plant went to heaven in less than a week.

When I'm bored, I like to ruffle the leaves and sniff the strong scent of lavender.

#48 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

I noticed the leaves are curly, hmmm, you are growing them in hydroculture?

#49 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:27 AM

View Poststhh, on 24 May 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

I noticed the leaves are curly, hmmm, you are growing them in hydroculture?

Yeah with half strength LushGro, topped up with plain water twice a week. Not sure why they curl up. I know the browned tips are the result of root tips dying when the solution dried up.

#50 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

Hmmm... here's what I observe from trying to grow lavenders and rosemary in hydroculture.

1. The medium, (clay balls) must be 100% dry, otherwise these lavenders and rosemary are very prone to rot and fungal attacks. Only those roots that are extended into the nutrient solution are wet.
Problem: the roots growing in the clay balls do not grow vigorously. So only roots are left growing in the nutrient solution. Hence root mass is not well developed, compared to soil culture. Once, I had a rosemary with only 1 strand of root growing into the nutrient solution. I can't get more roots to grow downwards. Hence I have to wet the clay balls once in a while for roots to develop properly in the clayballs, and to extend downwards.

2. When growing too quickly, plant takes up all the calcium from the nutrient solution. When calcium level is low, leaves are curly. But dangerously, the solution will gradually become more acidic as calcium ion is depleted. Once PH drops too low, roots will start to die and rot. And rosemary, lavender prefers a more neutral or alkaline PH. Hence for those leafier plants, there must be some calcium and ph buffer needed. I use coral chips or oyster shell. These will not spoil the nutrient solution, but will replenish the lost calcium ions and maintain the ph.

This post has been edited by sthh: 24 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

#51 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

View Poststhh, on 24 May 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

Hmmm... here's what I observe from trying to grow lavenders and rosemary in hydroculture.

1. The medium, (clay balls) must be 100% dry, otherwise these lavenders and rosemary are very prone to rot and fungal attacks. Only those roots that are extended into the nutrient solution are wet.
Problem: the roots growing in the clay balls do not grow vigorously. So only roots are left growing in the nutrient solution. Hence root mass is not well developed, compared to soil culture. Once, I had a rosemary with only 1 strand of root growing into the nutrient solution. I can't get more roots to grow downwards. Hence I have to wet the clay balls once in a while for roots to develop properly in the clayballs, and to extend downwards.

2. When growing too quickly, plant takes up all the calcium from the nutrient solution. When calcium level is low, leaves are curly. But dangerously, the solution will gradually become more acidic as calcium ion is depleted. Once PH drops too low, roots will start to die and rot. And rosemary, lavender prefers a more neutral or alkaline PH. Hence for those leafier plants, there must be some calcium and ph buffer needed. I use coral chips or oyster shell. These will not spoil the nutrient solution, but will replenish the lost calcium ions and maintain the ph.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/F3A1799E-22C0-4387-867B-F2B29DB4732A.jpg

Here is the bottom of my container. I have no problems with rooting, but looks like calcium depletion is an issue for me. Thanks for the in-depth explanation man. I'll go look around in a fish shop when I replenish my gardening materials.

#52 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

View Postlazearus, on 24 May 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/F3A1799E-22C0-4387-867B-F2B29DB4732A.jpg

Here is the bottom of my container. I have no problems with rooting, but looks like calcium depletion is an issue for me. Thanks for the in-depth explanation man. I'll go look around in a fish shop when I replenish my gardening materials.

Btw, don't put too many. Try 1 small piece of coral chip (5 cent size) first. Don't want anything bad to happen to that beautiful plant. 1 bag is about $1, but that is plenty. Or go to the beach and look.

#53 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

View Poststhh, on 24 May 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

Btw, don't put too many. Try 1 small piece of coral chip (5 cent size) first. Don't want anything bad to happen to that beautiful plant. 1 bag is about $1, but that is plenty. Or go to the beach and look.

Haha okay thanks!

#54 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

I just did a pH test. Solution was around 6.3. Decided to change to a fresh batch of solution and remove suspicious, black roots.

#55 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

Hippeastrum 'Exotica'

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Exotica/58A11EB8-CE5C-482A-ADAB-8DA60D15F331.jpg

Scape spotted on 3/7/2016! Pleasantly surprised since I didn't have high expectations of Holland hippies reblooming in Singapore's climate.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Exotica/899092CC-9186-4D9A-90E3-E010ACA386F1.jpg

12/7/2016 - Two flower buds

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Exotica/3D51E1E0-E7F9-4E45-BBFD-A1D282E831E1.jpg

14/7/2016 - First one began opening today at 9am.

#56 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Exotica/6C73441F-EDE3-4EBF-A992-C3608C546849.jpg

Friday 15/7/2016 - Second flower fully opened at 9am with first pollen sac beginning to ripen. Extracted all the pollen from the first flower after they have all ripened this morning.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Exotica/D2B6338E-4AA2-42A5-959B-A27E16B47E9E.jpg

Love how the flower glitters with diamond dust under the morning sun.

#57 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

Well done. Nice flower.

#58 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

View PostGreyfingers, on 15 July 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

Well done. Nice flower.

Haha thanks! So far, of all my Hippeastrums, only 'Dancing Queen', 'Alfresco', and 'Exotica' have rebloomed for me without forced dormancy. I gonna see if those grown from seed in Singapore's climate will be able to rebloom. Considering my seeds started in Jan 2015, maiden bloom is slated to be between Jan 2017 to 2018. I will only get my first rebloom in 2019-2020. :hitmyself:/>

#59 User is offline   Busy Bee 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:36 PM

Wow!! They take 2-3 years to bloom??! Where do you find all the patience?
I guess that makes the bloom even more precious. The shimmering petals are really beautiful :wub:/>/>

#60 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

View PostBusy Bee, on 17 July 2016 - 09:36 PM, said:

Wow!! They take 2-3 years to bloom??! Where do you find all the patience?
I guess that makes the bloom even more precious. The shimmering petals are really beautiful :wub:/>/>/>

Haha thanks. I have since lost my patience and moved on to adeniums LOL

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users