Lazzy's Garden Escapades

#21 User is offline   Darren Tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

View Postlazearus, on 14 November 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

Haha I will, thanks!

Hmm it depends on the hybrid. A few of mine began putting forth scapes while still in the parcel during their 19-day trip via post across the globe, whereas this 'Dancing Queen' began putting forth a scape within a week of planting + exposure to sunlight + moisture. Got this useful info from a Glenn, a fellow forumner: If forced dormancy via chilling in the fridge is used, a bulb would take roughly 6 weeks from waking to bloom.

I would assume from appearance of scape to bloom would take roughly 2 weeks.

If you intend to buy hippies, I would recommend 'Dancing Queen' and 'Aphrodite', as I read that people in the US have had experience of these two hybrids blooming multiple times a year.

Here are some pictures I took of this bulb when I first got it last year.

26/11/2014
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/Photo26-11-1482436AM.jpg

9/12/2014
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/Photo9-12-1490543AM.jpg

11/12/2014
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/Photo11-12-1483240AM.jpg

13/12/2014
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/Photo13-12-1481342AM.jpg

15/12/2014
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/Photo15-12-1482030AM.jpg

16/12/2014
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/Photo16-12-1440003PM.jpg

What media did you use? Thanks for sharing!

#22 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

View PostDarren Tan, on 14 November 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

What media did you use? Thanks for sharing!

Around 60% perlite and 40% 6-in-1 soil. I have a super airy mix that ensures the roots won't rot during Singapore's rainy season, but may have to water twice a day during our dry season.

Haha my potting mix is not a good example to follow though. I was told to treat them hippies more like tropical plants, rather than as orchids, and to use well-drained clay loam. Humidity levels in the soil is important.

I'm just too afraid of the roots rotting to switch my soil mix HAHA

#23 User is offline   Darren Tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks, Lazzy. 'Dancing Queen' and 'Aphrodite will definitely be on my shopping list. Looking forward to my trip.

Josh, any advice?? :lol:/>

#24 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:57 PM

Hippeastrum 'Dancing Queen'

16/11/2015

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/091E6210-A04F-44DC-A513-1BB024134B80.jpg

Began blooming on 16/11/2015 Monday morning, fully bloomed in the afternoon, with pollen sacs ripening.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/E0C5138E-20AE-4458-9C48-59021BCCDCEF.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/58CC3065-5CDE-492B-844B-1530935EAF45.jpg

Flower size: Flower diameter of 16cm! Roughly the same size as last year's 17cm.

Bloom colour: More faint than last year's bloom. Guess it's true when they say that warmer environment = fainter colours.

Bloom features: The stigma has developed into petals as well. Slightly messy look. Alfresco still has the most perfect multi-petal feature.

Scent: Barely had any scent even when I stuck my nose into the flower. Had a faint scent when it first bloomed last year. Probably the rainy weather affected the strength of the scent.

Number of blooms per scape: 4. I was really surprised by the number. Was only expecting like 2 blooms. I didn't document this plant after it produced its second scape last year, but if I'm not wrong, it produced all the 3 scapes available in its bulb last year already. This would mean that this scape today had been developing in the bulb during the course of this 1 year in Singapore.

Overall, I'm very satisfied haha. After all, the rest of my bulbs Alfresco, Apple Blossom, Blossom Peacock, Exotica, Jewel, Papilio, Summertime (suffering), and Tango have shown no sign of blooming. Hopefully they'll produce something during CNY.

#25 User is offline   Josh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostDarren Tan, on 14 November 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

Thanks, Lazzy. 'Dancing Queen' and 'Aphrodite will definitely be on my shopping list. Looking forward to my trip.

Josh, any advice?? :lol:/>/>

Darren,
oops didnt notice you are asking me here. you have saw the pics from sthh's Jianguo flower market. the bulbs would be quite big especially they have a lot of variety.

Do a bit of homework because some hippes especially those fragrant ones do not really grow well in our climate though the seller normally say they can instead.

#26 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

Nice huge flowers!

#27 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:37 PM

View PostJosh, on 16 November 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

Darren,
oops didnt notice you are asking me here. you have saw the pics from sthh's Jianguo flower market. the bulbs would be quite big especially they have a lot of variety.

Do a bit of homework because some hippes especially those fragrant ones do not really grow well in our climate though the seller normally say they can instead.

Lemme help you a little based on the chart Sthh took and my experience/reading:

Virus resistant:
Papilio: I have this. Smaller flowers that do not last as long as the hybrids. Others complain that this one will not do well in too hot environments, but mine seems to be leafing out okay in our climate. Definitely not sulking.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Papilio/Photo28-11-1431431PM.jpg
Exotic Star (due to Papilio genes)

Fragrant:
Blossom Peacock: Should be the most fragrant one of the lot. You will see-the-flower-before-you-smell-it strength of fragrance, very pretty, I have some at home. Most are doing well, one is sulking very badly with 1 pair of partially formed leaves.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Blossom%20Peacock/428FAFD8-223F-4955-9C52-6240B459651B.jpg
Splash
Gervase
Sweet Nymph

The pink/purple/beige ones may have slightly faded colours in Singapore's hot weather. The red ones, especially those with the juicy red core, should retain their colour.

Elvas supposedly occasionally aborts her flowers halfway. Read that on the Gardenweb forums.

I don't have much info on which ones will do well in our climate, sorry.

View Poststhh, on 16 November 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

Nice huge flowers!

Haha thank you thank you. I put my nose into the flower again at 6pm and I could smell the faint fragrance now.

#28 User is offline   Darren Tan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:10 PM

View PostJosh, on 16 November 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

Darren,

View Postlazearus, on 16 November 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

Lemme help you a little based on the chart Sthh took and my experience/reading:

Virus resistant:
Papilio: I have this. Smaller flowers that do not last as long as the hybrids. Others complain that this one will not do well in too hot environments, but mine seems to be leafing out okay in our climate. Definitely not sulking.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Papilio/Photo28-11-1431431PM.jpg
Exotic Star (due to Papilio genes)

Fragrant:
Blossom Peacock: Should be the most fragrant one of the lot. You will see-the-flower-before-you-smell-it strength of fragrance, very pretty, I have some at home. Most are doing well, one is sulking very badly with 1 pair of partially formed leaves.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Blossom%20Peacock/428FAFD8-223F-4955-9C52-6240B459651B.jpg
Splash
Gervase
Sweet Nymph

The pink/purple/beige ones may have slightly faded colours in Singapore's hot weather. The red ones, especially those with the juicy red core, should retain their colour.

Elvas supposedly occasionally aborts her flowers halfway. Read that on the Gardenweb forums.

I don't have much info on which ones will do well in our climate, sorry.

Haha thank you thank you. I put my nose into the flower again at 6pm and I could smell the faint fragrance now.

Thks guys for the thinkers. I'm a sucker of bright,frangrance with unique looking flowers. So what would be the most sought after bulbs or something which wouldn't die on newbie like me? :P/> ^_^/>

#29 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

View PostDarren Tan, on 16 November 2015 - 10:10 PM, said:

Thks guys for the thinkers. I'm a sucker of bright,frangrance with unique looking flowers. So what would be the most sought after bulbs or something which wouldn't die on newbie like me? :P/>/> ^_^/>/>

*cough*adenium*cough*

Bulbs are generally quite tolerant of neglect, so you should be fine haha. Buy one or two hippies to try (they only bloom once a year probably).

Sthh what rainlilies did you grab over there ah? Coz rainlilies would flower more often. And they're beautiful when grown in a huge clump. Mine are flowering like crazy now from the heavy rains.

Thks guys for the thinkers. I'm a sucker of bright,frangrance with unique looking flowers. So what would be the most sought after bulbs or something which wouldn't die on newbie like me? :P/>/> ^_^/>/>

*cough*adenium*cough*

Bulbs are generally quite tolerant of neglect, so you should be fine haha. Buy one or two hippies to try (they only bloom once a year probably).

Sthh what rainlilies did you grab over there ah? Coz rainlilies would flower more often. And they're beautiful when grown in a huge clump. Mine are flowering like crazy now from the heavy rains.

#30 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:58 AM

View Postlazearus, on 16 November 2015 - 10:25 PM, said:

*cough*adenium*cough*

*cough*adenium*cough*

I got these assortment
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/Jianguo%20Holiday%20Flower%20Market/STHH2034_zpsesuj6auk.jpg
and some other lilies
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/Jianguo%20Holiday%20Flower%20Market/STHH2033_zpszucbti3t.jpg

#31 User is offline   Josh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

Differ from Lazzy : :hysterical:/>
bulbs are good, easy to store and easy to grow, best if they can split, you get more (actually it can be a problem, because you prefer them to spend their energy flowering instead of splitting). Other than Hippies, i recommend amaryllis.
Cactus is good, easy to carry except dont bring those super spiky ones, they are hardy and definitely bright flowers.
Orchids are next, they are already bare rooted, generally like *cough* adenium *cough* the flowers are bright and some with fragrance. common trait dont overwater and you will be fine.

* the poisoning works regardless which suggestions made :bangin:/> *

#32 User is offline   Josh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:13 AM

View Poststhh, on 17 November 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

I got these assortment
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/Jianguo%20Holiday%20Flower%20Market/STHH2034_zpsesuj6auk.jpg
and some other lilies
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/Jianguo%20Holiday%20Flower%20Market/STHH2033_zpszucbti3t.jpg

Sthh,
the rainlilies are quite easy to germinate (just that they are quite untidy so growing them together as a bunch is good for supporting leaves but they dont split or grow fast in that manner). The other few liniums, you have to take note : they do grow and germinate (as in leaves and stem) but they do not grow roots that easily. Take note of the potting medium and do not overwater (the bulb rots quite easily), plenty of light. if got offsprings let me know ! :hitmyself:/>

#33 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostJosh, on 17 November 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

Sthh,
the rainlilies are quite easy to germinate (just that they are quite untidy so growing them together as a bunch is good for supporting leaves but they dont split or grow fast in that manner). The other few liniums, you have to take note : they do grow and germinate (as in leaves and stem) but they do not grow roots that easily. Take note of the potting medium and do not overwater (the bulb rots quite easily), plenty of light. if got offsprings let me know ! :hitmyself:/>/>/>/>

Thanks for the advises, I am just starting out on bulbs, and asked the bulbs seller to recommend me bulbs that can grow and flower in hot countries. So she picked these out for me. She did say the hippies and amaryllis can flower in Singapore, but gosh, those are huge. I think I can only fit 2 bulbs into 1 shoe box, so I didn't get them. I do see however, that world farm is bringing in more and more hippies and amaryllis, and it is just few lane away from my place

This post has been edited by sthh: 17 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

#34 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:48 AM

View Poststhh, on 17 November 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

Thanks for the advises, I am just starting out on bulbs, and asked the bulbs seller to recommend me bulbs that can grow and flower in hot countries. So she picked these out for me. She did say the hippies and amaryllis can flower in Singapore, but gosh, those are huge. I think I can only fit 2 bulbs into 1 shoe box, so I didn't get them. I do see however, that world farm is bringing in more and more hippies and amaryllis, and it is just few lane away from my place

Josh, any recommendations for watering & light conditions for rainlilies? Is it true they prefer the soil to dry up before watering?

#35 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

View Poststhh, on 17 November 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

Brown coloured rainlilies? Would be interesting to see! Haha. Hope they bloom soon.

As for lilies, they can bloom/rebloom in Singapore?! I never dared to buy those because I read they require chilling to bloom.

#36 User is offline   Josh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

View Postlazearus, on 17 November 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

Josh, any recommendations for watering & light conditions for rainlilies? Is it true they prefer the soil to dry up before watering?

Can't exactly answer that question well depending on which species (i'm not an expert either).

I only can observe that if you feed it well with water and fertilizer, they love to divide => more space even better though they will divide anyway.
If you wait for the soil to dry up before watering, their growth is somewhat slower. I do not observe a shrink in the bulb but there is potential that the newly divided shoot will die off.

Light wise i think as long there is adequate amount (i got a few under HDB normal light, sunlight and office light) they can grow.
Potting medium just avoid something too clayey and make sure half of the bulb can be seen on top of the soil level.

Sthh : you sure world farm is getting them?

#37 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

View PostJosh, on 17 November 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

Can't exactly answer that question well depending on which species (i'm not an expert either).

I only can observe that if you feed it well with water and fertilizer, they love to divide => more space even better though they will divide anyway.
If you wait for the soil to dry up before watering, their growth is somewhat slower. I do not observe a shrink in the bulb but there is potential that the newly divided shoot will die off.

Light wise i think as long there is adequate amount (i got a few under HDB normal light, sunlight and office light) they can grow.
Potting medium just avoid something too clayey and make sure half of the bulb can be seen on top of the soil level.

Sthh : you sure world farm is getting them?

Ah okay thanks man.

Yes I agree on their love of dividing. You gonna have a pot full of them Sthh haha. Will be beautiful when it rains.

#38 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/D145706C-D191-4203-BA82-BDE0EA616B70.jpg

19/11/2015 Thursday. Flower has begun to fade. Still looks pretty here but it sort of has that dried up tinge appearing already. Anyway, I've managed to find what looks like a stigma and I've been pollinating it twice a day. Doubt it will set seeds, but we may never know!

Also, the scent has gotten stronger since the first day it bloomed. I can now easily smell it when I stick my nose into the flower. Kind of like a sweet vege smell :hysterical:/>

'Hawaiian Red Currant' Tomato

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Garden/EA641488-42BF-479D-80E8-E5F0F857E083.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Garden/9BC977DB-B203-40B8-B077-696CA48276E9.jpg

19/11/2015 Sudden huge onset of fruits. I suspect the fruiting slow release fertiliser is kicking in.

Birds have been snapping up all my tomatoes, even those green ones. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to protect my tomatoes? The tomatoes are roughly the size of the bead of toothpaste you'd usually put on your toothbrush. It's kinda hard to use any heavy stuff like plastic bags because the stem connecting the fruit to the vine is short and narrow. I'm hoping to use pieces of transparent plastic bag to wrap them tomatoes but I'm afraid the birds will peel off the plastic and get to the fruit within.

My friend suggested placing a scarecrow there. :hysterical:/> Doubt that will work because I have no space to put one (I don't wanna put one!!) and our local birds will just shit on it and move on with their tomato-picking business. :hysterical:/>

This post has been edited by lazearus: 19 November 2015 - 10:28 AM

#39 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:29 AM

View Postlazearus, on 19 November 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hippeastrums/Dancing%20Queen/D145706C-D191-4203-BA82-BDE0EA616B70.jpg

19/11/2015 Thursday. Flower has begun to fade. Still looks pretty here but it sort of has that dried up tinge appearing already. Anyway, I've managed to find what looks like a stigma and I've been pollinating it twice a day. Doubt it will set seeds, but we may never know!

'Hawaiian Red Currant' Tomato

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Garden/EA641488-42BF-479D-80E8-E5F0F857E083.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Garden/9BC977DB-B203-40B8-B077-696CA48276E9.jpg

19/11/2015 Sudden huge onset of fruits. I suspect the fruiting slow release fertiliser is kicking in.

Birds have been snapping up all my tomatoes, even those green ones. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to protect my tomatoes? The tomatoes are roughly the size of the bead of toothpaste you'd usually put on your toothbrush. It's kinda hard to use any heavy stuff like plastic bags because the stem connecting the fruit to the vine is short and narrow. I'm hoping to use pieces of transparent plastic bag to wrap them tomatoes but I'm afraid the birds will peel off the plastic and get to the fruit within.

My friend suggested placing a scarecrow there. :hysterical:/>/> Doubt that will work because I have no space to put one (I don't wanna put one!!) and our local birds will just shit on it and move on with their tomato-picking business. :hysterical:/>/>

Hang some unwanted CDs, and it should frighten away most birds.

#40 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

View Poststhh, on 19 November 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

Hang some unwanted CDs, and it should frighten away most birds.

Oh yes, I forgot about that. Haha thanks man!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users