GCS Forum: Importing Plants and then Doing Phyto Certification in SG is not Allowed - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Importing Plants and then Doing Phyto Certification in SG is not Allowed

#1 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:29 AM

Just wanna let you guys know I tried to explore on this possibility and it's a no-go.

The rep at AVA told me over the phone that AVA requires the overseas company we're purchasing from apply for the phytosanitary cert over at their host country. We cannot import plants without a phyto cert and do the certification in Singapore.

That's really sad. :(/>

If only there was such an option.

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:33 PM

yap, it has been that way for many years . Did you have any plant stuck at AVA?

#3 User is offline   Cindy 

• Chief Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Chief Moderator
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants & Puffer Fish

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:39 PM

Phytosanitary certification is for the exporting country to assure that the plants they are allowing for export are clean. Australia is VERY strict both import and export.

#4 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:42 AM

View Postdigitalgate, on 26 August 2015 - 09:33 PM, said:

yap, it has been that way for many years . Did you have any plant stuck at AVA?

Haha thankfully no. I just see the hippeastrums at http://royalcolors.com/amaryllis/ I gian, wanna buy. Online shopping is very bad for my health and wallet LOL

View PostCindy, on 26 August 2015 - 09:39 PM, said:

Phytosanitary certification is for the exporting country to assure that the plants they are allowing for export are clean. Australia is VERY strict both import and export.

Haha yeah I heard. Plants can also get quarantined for up to 6 months over there. They're very sad. Have to grow their hippeastrums from seed because it is impossible to import plants into Aussie. That would take like 2-3 years from seed to bloom.

I was just thinking that, wouldn't it also be safer for us to do our certification + pest/fungal eradication in the destination country? It would be like a confirm + chop guarantee that the plants will be free of pest/fungus/pathogens (send the plants for destruction should viruses be detected)? One downside would be the pests/pathogens may spread throughout the cargo hold while still en route to Singapore.

#5 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

View Postlazearus, on 27 August 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

Haha thankfully no. I just see the hippeastrums at http://royalcolors.com/amaryllis/ I gian, wanna buy. Online shopping is very bad for my health and wallet LOL

wo .. these definitely need phyto cert. Even those bought in Thailand did not grow to what the picture lo... really irritating.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users