GCS Forum: Dendrobium lindleyi - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Dendrobium lindleyi

#1 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

Got this as a small plant 5 years ago. It grew and mounted itself on the side of the balcony wall, and grew big. 5 years later, it put out it's first flower spike. Will post pictures of the flowers when it bloom.

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1419_zpsbhxnvc5n.jpg

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1424_zpso46vdxoe.jpg

5 years ago.
https://sites.google.com/site/sthhplants/_/rsrc/1287650590577/Plants/orchids/orchids-from-chiang-mai/Orchid2.jpg

#2 User is offline   jimmy78 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

Wow.. it has become an amazing specimen.
It took years to acclimatize itself to bloom in lowland tropical? Are you giving it direct sunlight?
I hope the bloom is not short-lived.

#3 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

View Postjimmy78, on 04 June 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

Wow.. it has become an amazing specimen.
It took years to acclimatize itself to bloom in lowland tropical? Are you giving it direct sunlight?
I hope the bloom is not short-lived.

Sadly, I do not know much about this dendrobium even after keeping it for 5 years. I only water it daily and feed it when I remember, and it is growing lots more pseudobulbs then when I initially got it. Do not know about the resting period, whether it needs a cold spell to bloom. It just decided to flower, which I find strange, esp since I did not stress it.

#4 User is offline   jimmy78 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

View Poststhh, on 04 June 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

Sadly, I do not know much about this dendrobium even after keeping it for 5 years. I only water it daily and feed it when I remember, and it is growing lots more pseudobulbs then when I initially got it. Do not know about the resting period, whether it needs a cold spell to bloom. It just decided to flower, which I find strange, esp since I did not stress it.

By the way, the leaves look like having some sunburn? or rot? Do you cut them away?
I always feel paranoid to see these signs of black rot. The plant becomes unsightly after I cut the affected part away.
And also I lost a few because of this.

#5 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

View Postjimmy78, on 05 June 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

By the way, the leaves look like having some sunburn? or rot? Do you cut them away?
I always feel paranoid to see these signs of black rot. The plant becomes unsightly after I cut the affected part away.
And also I lost a few because of this.

It's not just sunburn. It could also be water ponding on the leaves, esp after raining, which could cause all kind of problems with disease as well. But I usually leave the plant alone if I think they will survive. Afterall, they have already grown in the same spot for 5 years. I think this dend is very hardy, so I am not too worried. But if water ponds into my cattelya, esp on the leaves, it would be troublesome, since the water get retained.

#6 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

Buds going to open today later, hopefully it will not get destroyed by the rain later.
Quite difficult to take a decent hoto, since they are growing quite far out in the balcony at a weird angel.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1466_zpsgzacl01v.jpg

#7 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

They survived the heavy downfall yesterday to bloom fully.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1484_zpsxoserv4z.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1472_zpsvrsyyoyw.jpg

#8 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

You give me hope. My lindleyi keeps growing and growing but no flowers yet. Do you think it is the spate of very hot and dry weather that has triggered the flowering?

#9 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:14 AM

View Postkeff, on 08 June 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

You give me hope. My lindleyi keeps growing and growing but no flowers yet. Do you think it is the spate of very hot and dry weather that has triggered the flowering?

I have absolutely no idea. I thought they needed a dry cold spell, but the weather is hot and rained quite a bit. I didn't stress it too. I guess it is just time for it to finally decide to flower.

#10 User is offline   keff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

View Poststhh, on 08 June 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

I have absolutely no idea. I thought they needed a dry cold spell, but the weather is hot and rained quite a bit. I didn't stress it too. I guess it is just time for it to finally decide to flower.

Hmmm, I wonder? But we haven't had much cold and rain lately? maybe they need to be treated a bit like the nobile type dendrobes with drought and lots of light. Or maybe as you say the hot period, then the heavy rains about a month back had something to do with it? I think I will try it out both and see what happens.

#11 User is offline   jimmy78 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:31 AM

Beautiful blossom cluster with the blue swimming pool backdrop. They just get along nicely.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users