GCS Forum: Germinating Dill, Sage, Parsley & Thyme seeds - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Germinating Dill, Sage, Parsley & Thyme seeds

#1 User is offline   Soongsis2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

I am having problems getting these seeds to germinate. The seeds packs are newly bought and the expiry dates are pretty far off, so I assume the seeds are viable. I have already tried several rounds, but nothing comes up. I usually use small pots or trays to sow the seeds, using seed potting mix. These trays are kept in the shade but would have good indirect sunlight throughout the day. They are watered every morning and if the weather is particularly hot, they are watered in the evening as well. Do these seeds need special germinating conditions?

Many thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

They are all quite easy to germinate . it is difficult to judge whether u have right condition to germinate them. Humidity play a crucial factor . Can u take a photo of your germinating area and which area do u live? North , South , East West ...

#3 User is offline   scoville 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

try this: soak seeds in water for 1 day, get a new batch of potting soil, sow the seeds in about 1 cm below surface, water them , seal the top with aluminium foil, poke some holes with fork on the aluminium foil, keep in a cool and dark area.
You don't need to water after that, just wait for a few days for it to sprout

works all the time for me.

This post has been edited by scoville: 09 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

#4 User is offline   Soongsis2 

• PipPip

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:34 PM

View Postdigitalgate, on 09 May 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

They are all quite easy to germinate . it is difficult to judge whether u have right condition to germinate them. Humidity play a crucial factor . Can u take a photo of your germinating area and which area do u live? North , South , East West ...

The seed trays/pots are placed under the patio shade and it gets afternoon sun (west facing), not directly though. They sit on an elevated rack and is free draining. All my seeds trays/pots are placed here, and I have not much problems germinating various types of seeds (chill, eggplant, tomato, leafy greens etc). Just these herbs' seeds are giving me problems. Will take a photo and post.

Thanks.

View Postscoville, on 09 May 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

try this: soak seeds in water for 1 day, get a new batch of potting soil, sow the seeds in about 1 cm below surface, water them , seal the top with aluminium foil, poke some holes with fork on the aluminium foil, keep in a cool and dark area.
You don't need to water after that, just wait for a few days for it to sprout

works all the time for me.

Thanks for this! Will try this method tomorrow and hopefully will have good news to update.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users