GCS Forum: Advise on growing herbs and other plants indoor. - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Advise on growing herbs and other plants indoor.

#1 User is offline   Camou 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Aquascaping,DIY

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

Hi all,

i am new in this gardening thingy so please bear with me.
it all started with my kid buying a flowering plant at IKEA which grow very well
and lush without direct sunlight.

This is the plant can someone identify it for me?
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u655/zerofighterx101/20150317_120033_zpsetoanvc4.jpg

Then my better half became ambitious and bought a few herb plants and put it at our corridor.
One week passed and i see that the plants are not healthy so i did some researched
and found out that most herbs need direct or partial sunlight to thrive.Now i am thinking of making a space for
her in the kitchen,for her plants.My questions are, what should i need to know about indoors gardening,like
temperature, air circulation,soil,fertilizer,water,pests and lights.I have good knowledge about lighting because
im an avid aquarist so i probably can cover that part easily.

Please do advise,your contributions are greatly appreciated.

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

Long question , first u need to know the difference in full sun , partial shade and shade condition . After that u plan for plants in the correct light condition .

Your plant is cuphea.

#3 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

What kind of herbs did you buy, and what medium did the herbs came in?
Herbs like sweet basil, dill and lemon mint are sold in NTUC, and are grown hydroponically in perlite.

I find sweet basil very easy to grow hydroponically and you don't need direct sunlight. Dill is easy to grow, but oregano, lavender and rosemary are more challenging.
Here's my sweet basil herb grown hydroponically. It was initially 1 small pot I bought from NTUC, now divided and grown in 4 pots, and still growing like a jungle.

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1008_zpsj2fo5avx.jpg

#4 User is offline   Camou 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

View Postdigitalgate, on 17 March 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

Long question , first u need to know the difference in full sun , partial shade and shade condition . After that u plan for plants in the correct light condition .

Your plant is cuphea.

That is the thing,the difference between full sun and partial shade is a bit confusing.Like the plant that you identify for me Cuphea, i searched and found
it scientific name is Cuphea hyssopifolia and the plant actually need full sun to part sun but my place there is no direct sunlight. Anyway thanks for the plant ID.

#5 User is offline   Camou 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

View Poststhh, on 17 March 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

Herbs like sweet basil, dill and lemon mint are sold in NTUC, and are grown hydroponically in perlite.

I find sweet basil very easy to grow hydroponically and you don't need direct sunlight. Dill is easy to grow, but oregano, lavender and rosemary are more challenging.
Here's my sweet basil herb grown hydroponically. It was initially 1 small pot I bought from NTUC, now divided and grown in 4 pots, and still growing like a jungle.

hi, i am still reading up on hydroponics and i am not ready for it yet. The plants that i currently have right now are Rosemary,Kafir lime,Curry plant and Pandan.
They are now grown with cfl light which i temporary make do with. I intend to have grow light install by next week if everything goes well. For what kind of medium???
That is a bonus question man.... all i say can it is soil :)/> i didn't know what kind it is.My wife bought all these at Chye heng orchid garden along Bedok road.She also bought
some seeds,we plant it and made a rookie mistake by not labeling it immediately until we realized that we already forgot which is which.. :rolleyes:/>

#6 User is offline   janegoaty 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

View Poststhh, on 17 March 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/trelch/STHH1008_zpsj2fo5avx.jpg

Outrageous. You basil is healthy right down to the bottom leaves.

#7 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

View Postjanegoaty, on 18 March 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

Outrageous. You basil is healthy right down to the bottom leaves.

This basil is expending exponentially from 1 pot to 2 pots, 2 pots to 4 pots, and I cannot consume it fast enough, despite cooking dishes that uses basil nearly every week. Basically grow like a weed hydroponically. Good thing about sweet basil, unlike other herbs, all leaves, whether new growth or old, have the same herb smell and taste.

This post has been edited by sthh: 18 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

#8 User is offline   Natsk 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

I can smell your basil !!! They are gorgeous! Someone told me they taste great in an omelette :)/>

#9 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:54 AM

View PostNatsk, on 20 March 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

I can smell your basil !!! They are gorgeous! Someone told me they taste great in an omelette :)/>/>

They taste great in western and eastern dishes. Pizzas, pastas, lasagne, taiwan salt and pepper chicken, fried pork chops, meat balls etc.

#10 User is offline   Natsk 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

Oh, stop it! I am getting too hungry 😝
Now I just have to get my hands on those solution and start something :)/> thanks for sharing!

#11 User is offline   Andyljc 

• Pip

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

I am growing hydroponic on strawberries from seeds, honey melon. Now trying sun cherry tomatoes. I am only using DIY DWC system.

If anyone have mint seed or plant to spare, please let me know. Will be interested to try out on hydroponic system.

I have other seeds to exchange of needed.

Email : andyljc2002@gmail.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users