GCS Forum: Pandan Leaf seeds - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Pandan Leaf seeds Where to buy in Singapore

#1 User is offline   baomin 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

Hi all,

does anyone know where I can buy pandan leaf seeds in Singapore?
It is for my friend overseas where the pandan leaf is not easily available, she would like to grow herself.

Thanks alot!

#2 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

View Postbaomin, on 10 March 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

Hi all,

does anyone know where I can buy pandan leaf seeds in Singapore?
It is for my friend overseas where the pandan leaf is not easily available, she would like to grow herself.

Thanks alot!

I've never heard of seeds being sold before, sorry. Where is your friend from? If she is in the US, she can take a look at ebay.com. There are many US companies selling live Pandanus amaryllifolius plants there. Or alternatively, she can check out the nearest Chinatown for a bunch of leaves (with the main stem) to bring home and root in water before planting in soil.

#3 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

Of all the plants on this earth pandan has been my worst nightmare, as I have over a period of time had about 5 plants all that died, no matter where and when I planted it. Can any one tell me what I am doing incorrectly.
The plant has been planted in the shade, planted in the sun, planted with good compost, planted with little watering planted with heavy watering. HELP!

#4 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostRobert1943, on 10 March 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

Of all the plants on this earth pandan has been my worst nightmare, as I have over a period of time had about 5 plants all that died, no matter where and when I planted it. Can any one tell me what I am doing incorrectly.
The plant has been planted in the shade, planted in the sun, planted with good compost, planted with little watering planted with heavy watering. HELP!

Did you buy the cut plants from the market and attempt to plant them ? Cuttings without roots have a low chance of surviving in a jar of water. Rot may set in sometimes. Some people are able to grow these cuttings by selecting suitable cuttings with a bit of roots.
Planting the plantlets of established plants has a higher chance as these plantlets have roots.

This post has been edited by AhSeng: 10 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

#5 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostRobert1943, on 10 March 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

View PostAhSeng, on 10 March 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

Did you buy the cut plants from the market and attempt to plant them ? Cuttings without roots have a low chance of surviving in a jar of water. Rot may set in sometimes. Some people are able to grow these cuttings by selecting suitable cuttings with a bit of roots.
Planting the plantlets of established plants has a higher chance as these plantlets have roots.

All the rooted sideshoots I tried to transplant into soil have died as well. I suspect they died due to the soil drying up.

So after that I bought a pot of 3 plants and separated them into bare root form, and planted them all into 3 different media - my garden containing sand, a potting mix of lots of perlite and some florabella soil, as well as the clayey soil the pot originally came with. They were then placed in the brightest spot in the garden having direct sunlight from dawn to dusk, and watered twice a day - once in the morning at 8am and once in the evening between 4-6pm. Interestingly, none died to transplant shock. They're all surviving well right now.

tl;dr version: soil kept constantly moist for transplant. Full sun for the plant. Personal hypothesis - possibility of higher survivability of cuttings if rooting is attempted in water.

This post has been edited by lazearus: 10 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

#6 User is offline   catehill 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

Pandan does not need full direct sun.
But they do like the medium to be moist specially when u just transplant them and they should be keep at cool, humid area at the beginning.

At Bukit Timah Hill, there is a area with a full patch of Pandan.
They are half flood in water and growing under shade with big tree all around.

When I was young living in the kampong, they grow best beside pond, drain mudding land.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users