GCS Forum: Video of my herb garden - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Video of my herb garden

#1 User is offline   Laurence 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:British Personal Trainer growing veg and herbs on my roof in singapore.

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to post my video but most of what i grow are herbs so here is 17 min video showing you the herbs i have grown and giving you some tips. (most of which i got from this forum!). any advice or tips welcome.

http://youtu.be/S9ZIHbzwzFE

#2 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

View PostLaurence, on 05 March 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post my video but most of what i grow are herbs so here is 17 min video showing you the herbs i have grown and giving you some tips. (most of which i got from this forum!). any advice or tips welcome.

http://youtu.be/S9ZIHbzwzFE

Nice rooftop space with so many edibles. How did you manage to keep the pest away in the open?

#3 User is offline   janegoaty 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

What a great garden! I've never found thyme easy to grow here and yours looks amazing. Since you asked for tips, is there a reason why you're not cutting your basil from the top rather than harvesting the lower leaves? They just get so much fatter and leafier that way, especially in nice big pots like those.

#4 User is offline   Laurence 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:British Personal Trainer growing veg and herbs on my roof in singapore.

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

View Poststhh, on 05 March 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

Nice rooftop space with so many edibles. How did you manage to keep the pest away in the open?

ive not really had pests very much. i do have ants thought, they tend to live in a pot that is over watered, so i let it dry out and they move on. I think the key is to keeping it organic, having lots of different plants in one area and pot and keeping them healthy with worm tea and right amount of water and sun.

i have had these white things on my okra once, i made an organic spray and killed many with my hand, they soon were gone. i have some aphids come and go on my basil and some decritive plants, i killed the decritive plants and used my hands to get them off the basil, but also many lady birds who must help. I also have a lot of birds and gekos around, so maybe they eat some pests.
In all my soil there seems to be this centipede type thing and worms which must of been moved from my compost bin when i fed the plants compost tea. they dont seem to do any harm.
I also use Kombucha with some essential oils to confuse the ants. One or two times i have had one plant with quote a lot of pests, so i just chucked the plant
right now i have some white things under my potato leaves, so ive cut of lots of the leaves and sprayed the rest. ill spray again next week and i am sure they would of gone.
i have never had slugs or snails. i see butterflies a lot but only a caterpillar once. i think the birds eat them

#5 User is offline   Laurence 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

View Postjanegoaty, on 05 March 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

What a great garden! I've never found thyme easy to grow here and yours looks amazing. Since you asked for tips, is there a reason why you're not cutting your basil from the top rather than harvesting the lower leaves? They just get so much fatter and leafier that way, especially in nice big pots like those.

i have two types of thyme, the one that does really well is lemon thyme. they can grow from cutting easily. the normal thyme is also growing fine, just not as much, i dont water it and it does better. it was behind the papaai, i just realised i didnt show that one

i usually clip of the top when removing flowers when i just need a few leaves, but when im making pesto or giving some away i chop of a while branch. do you think i should only chop off whole branches?

#6 User is offline   janegoaty 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

Never had lemon thyme before. I've always used regular thyme in a bouquet garni but the lemon type sounds lovely. I'm definitely going to try it now. My regular thyme is growing but it's not very tolerant of not having the very best spot on the balcony. And since it takes its time to grow, I'm using that space for other plants.
For the basil, I think regular pruning is a good idea, whether you use it up or not. Once the seedlings have 4 leaf nodes you could lop off half of it so that it puts out two branches. And then keep cutting the tops off each branch and you end up with a compact bushy plant with lots of growth tips to harvest. Also, the new leaves taste best, in my opinion, so the more, the better.

#7 User is offline   lavendergarden 

• Associate Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Associate Member
  • Interests:Lover of Lavenders. Huge Country Music Fan. Endorphin Junkie.

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

I don't know about you guys but I simply love ground up eggshells in my plants. They really explode in size shortly after throwing them in. I just went to check on the rose and again there's another growth spurt and it's budding like crazy. I gave it ground eggshell just 5? days ago...something like that.

Cheers

#8 User is offline   Greyfingers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for sharing your garden. I'm not much into edibles. I only have pandan leaves, limau purut and now growing catnip. I've never used worm tea but organic ferts work fast and well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users