GCS Forum: Roots problems - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Roots problems

#1 User is offline   watervan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hi everyone.I am a newbie.I have encountered this problem a few times with my orchids which are mostly dendrobiums.After a few years, there is no new growth of stems. The old stems also have few leaves and no flowers.I remove the plant from the pot and find that most of the roots are circling the charcoals on the outside (roots potbound problem?) and all are dead.Should I I cut off the dead roots and repot the plant which now has almost no root.I water it everyday.The plant usually die a few weeks after this.Does it help if I repot the plant earlier? Please give me advice.Thanks.

#2 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

A picture will be good. So what I am hearing is: you have only dendrobium stem left, and the roots have rotted away?

This is what you can do. Take the old stem out of the pot, hang it with a string to dry. (no need to have sunlight). Don't water it. They will grow keiki with roots. If your stem is still strong, they will grow big fat keiki. Takes about 1 month for keiki to come out.

This post has been edited by sthh: 26 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

#3 User is offline   watervan 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Hi, sthh. Thanks for your reply. The stem has a few leaves but all the roots are rottened.I will try your method. Thanks.

#4 User is offline   AhSeng 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

Yes,need a picture.

Depends on the condition of the plant, sometimes you can pot it immediately. One thing is when you cut away the unwanted pseudobulbs and the dead roots, there may be a wound. If this wound is infected by fungus or some bacteria, it turns yellow and is likely a problem. To prevent this problem, you can dip the base of the plant in fungicide solution. However, I don't have fungicide, so I use chalk powder to coat the wound. and I don't water for the first day or two. Sometimes, if the weather is dry, the wound dries on its own, then no need apply anything.

The main thing is to make new pseudobulbs grow out of the base. If there is new pseudobulbs, there is new roots. It is these new roots that grow over the charcoal.If you have pseudobulbs that is halfway from fully grown, it may still grow roots. You can use seaweed extracts to make it grow roots rapidly.

#5 User is offline   watervan 

• PipPip

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

Thanks, Ah Seng for your reply. Sorry no picture.Will try later.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users