• Last »

Hydroponics Experiments

#41 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:13 PM

View Poststhh, on 27 February 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

Wow, you harvest them so young. They will be tender as salad.

Oh I have no idea when I should actually harvest them, so I followed the catalogue's labelling of maturity at 30 days. Any idea when I should do it? Honestly though, I don't even know if this is pai cai, caixin, or kailan.

#42 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:18 PM

View Postlazearus, on 27 February 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

Oh I have no idea when I should actually harvest them, so I followed the catalogue's labelling of maturity at 30 days. Any idea when I should do it? Honestly though, I don't even know if this is pai cai, caixin, or kailan.

When you harvest them young, they are very tender. Good for salad. But each day you grow them, they get much bigger. If you harvest them at 40 days, you will have a good plate of stir fry.

#43 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

View Poststhh, on 27 February 2015 - 09:18 PM, said:

When you harvest them young, they are very tender. Good for salad. But each day you grow them, they get much bigger. If you harvest them at 40 days, you will have a good plate of stir fry.

Ahh ok got it, thanks!

#44 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:18 PM

View Postlazearus, on 27 February 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

pai tsai (pronounced as 白菜) is the Taiwanese way of spelling bai cai

#45 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostWisteria, on 27 February 2015 - 10:18 PM, said:

pai tsai (pronounced as 白菜) is the Taiwanese way of spelling bai cai

Yeah that's what I thought too, but then I noticed in Known-You Seed's catalogue, there's a subheading for 'Pai Tsai', and 'Pai Tsai (Rape)'. 'Show Jean' appears under the latter. I've only found info on 油菜 a while back, and now upon looking at Google Translate, I just noticed it is labelled as Rape.

However, I'm clueless as to the difference between 油菜 and 白菜. Does this mean that this veg tastes better cooked in stir-fry, rather than boiled?

I tried out the veg yesterday fried with garlic, but I could only eat one leaf since there wasn't much to go around. It just tasted of garlic and is slightly wiry :hysterical:/> Put too much garlic liao.

This post has been edited by lazearus: 28 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

#46 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

I just checked Known You's Chinese catalogue.

'Show Jean' is 油菜 '秀珍', 品質清香脆嫩,適於炒食.

Maybe 'Show Jean' tastes better when harvested for stir-frying at the stage when it's more mature? (ie. when it reaches the stage as depicted on the seed packet)

#47 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:38 PM

View PostWisteria, on 28 February 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

I just checked Known You's Chinese catalogue.

'Show Jean' is 油菜 '秀珍', 品質清香脆嫩,適於炒食.

Maybe 'Show Jean' tastes better when harvested for stir-frying at the stage when it's more mature? (ie. when it reaches the stage as depicted on the seed packet)

Ah ok got it, thanks!

#48 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

View Postlazearus, on 28 February 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

Ah ok got it, thanks!

I grow this vegetable and it is very nice tasting, it has exactly the same growing requirements of Bok Choy eg a neutral ph of 7 and a Ec of 1.5 to 1.8.
The Pf is different to most other vegetables PH which grow with a range of 5.8 to 6.2.

#49 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostRobert1943, on 01 March 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

I grow this vegetable and it is very nice tasting, it has exactly the same growing requirements of Bok Choy eg a neutral ph of 7 and a Ec of 1.5 to 1.8.
The Pf is different to most other vegetables PH which grow with a range of 5.8 to 6.2.

Hoho I planted 9 seeds into a 4.5-inch net pot for hydroponics. Oooo a higher pH means easier to maintain, since I'll be constantly topping up the solution with tap water. Hehe thanks for the info. Can't wait to eat a bigger harvest of it.

#50 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

View Postlazearus, on 01 March 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

Hoho I planted 9 seeds into a 4.5-inch net pot for hydroponics. Oooo a higher pH means easier to maintain, since I'll be constantly topping up the solution with tap water. Hehe thanks for the info. Can't wait to eat a bigger harvest of it.

Will be cramp. Maybe the daiso shoebox and the basket will be able to accommodate them better.

#51 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

View Poststhh, on 01 March 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

Will be cramp. Maybe the daiso shoebox and the basket will be able to accommodate them better.

Those I've grown in soil looked very thin and I think will be able to fit into the net pot if they grow to the same size. But if growing by hydroponics cause them to upsize, I'll do some transplanting.

#52 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

Day 12: Pai Tsai 'Show Jean'

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hydroponics/6BC7F306-A22E-43E3-AAD5-0CA974253B3F.jpg
Came back from a 4-day break to find some of the seed leaves drying up even though the wool was still slightly damp. At least the fertilizer burn has been rectified as seen by the newer unblemished leaves. I'll remember to use less of the nutrient solution for this particular veg next time.

#53 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

View Postlazearus, on 09 March 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

Day 12: Pai Tsai 'Show Jean'

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hydroponics/6BC7F306-A22E-43E3-AAD5-0CA974253B3F.jpg
Came back from a 4-day break to find some of the seed leaves drying up even though the wool was still slightly damp. At least the fertilizer burn has been rectified as seen by the newer unblemished leaves. I'll remember to use less of the nutrient solution for this particular veg next time.

Some one in Thailand told me some time ago, that a seed is like an egg, eg all the growing nutrients are within and can sustain growth for a while, and like chickens when they emerge only a weak solution or feed is required until growth kicks in and then the nutrient strength or feeding can increase.
Sorry about the chicken and the egg analogy, but it is the truth, we dont give babies a good hot curry when young but introduce different food and formulas as growth increases.
You can tell I was raised on a farm.

#54 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

View PostRobert1943, on 09 March 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Some one in Thailand told me some time ago, that a seed is like an egg, eg all the growing nutrients are within and can sustain growth for a while, and like chickens when they emerge only a weak solution or feed is required until growth kicks in and then the nutrient strength or feeding can increase.
Sorry about the chicken and the egg analogy, but it is the truth, we dont give babies a good hot curry when young but introduce different food and formulas as growth increases.

I like your chicken and egg analogy

#55 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostRobert1943, on 09 March 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Haha so true. I forgot about that when I was happily measuring out the solutions to pour out. I'll pay closer attention in the future :lol:/>

This post has been edited by lazearus: 09 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

#56 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

Day 13: Okra Greennie

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hydroponics/6A721D99-6E82-43B1-AE71-DC7B972AF0F1.jpg

Both are very lanky. That is very weird, because even this amount of indirect sunlight is sufficient for my tomatoes and lavender plant. Also, the stem of this plant ruptured. I wonder if it will survive. Well, if it dies, I'll kope its pot to grow something else hohoho. The leaves here look yellow, but they're actually green. It was the morning sunlight that made them glow yellow.

This post has been edited by lazearus: 10 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

#57 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

How's your vilma tomatoes doing? Have the pepper plants also sprouted?

#58 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

View Poststhh, on 10 March 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

How's your vilma tomatoes doing? Have the pepper plants also sprouted?

The tomatoes are doing well hehe. Thank you for the pepper seeds! I just sowed 2 yellow sweet petite pepper seeds on Monday. No sign of germination yet.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hydroponics/552E9D2A-1FEA-4A49-B922-9AA7E534052B.jpg

Day 30: Dwarf Tomato 'Vilma'

2 of them are 12 cm tall, 1 is slightly shorter. But all 3 have healthy sets of leaves. I have only been topping up the water and have yet to change the nutrient solution since the beginning. They bend towards the light really quickly, even for a young plant of this size.

This post has been edited by lazearus: 11 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

#59 User is offline   Camou 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Aquascaping,DIY

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hi,
do you dont need to aerate the water in the container?

#60 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

View Postlazearus, on 11 March 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

The tomatoes are doing well hehe. Thank you for the pepper seeds! I just sowed 2 yellow sweet petite pepper seeds on Monday. No sign of germination yet.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/chypmunk/Hydroponics/552E9D2A-1FEA-4A49-B922-9AA7E534052B.jpg

Day 30: Dwarf Tomato 'Vilma'

2 of them are 12 cm tall, 1 is slightly shorter. But all 3 have healthy sets of leaves. I have only been topping up the water and have yet to change the nutrient solution since the beginning. They bend towards the light really quickly, even for a young plant of this size.

mayb you can try to rotate them so that they do not grow up tilted to 1 side.. i didn't rotate mine and it's now rather tilted to 1 side.. :(/>

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users