Page 1 of 1

Kratky Method strawberry

#1 User is offline   cylap888 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:29 AM

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah271/peterla678/IMG_5009_zpswxvaexbe.jpg

Using take away container. Strawberry in Kratky method growing.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah271/peterla678/IMG_5010_zpsvpbkbbpm.jpg

Is it too wet?

#2 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:37 AM

View Postcylap888, on 06 February 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah271/peterla678/IMG_5009_zpswxvaexbe.jpg

Using take away container. Strawberry in Kratky method growing.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah271/peterla678/IMG_5010_zpsvpbkbbpm.jpg

Is it too wet?

Strawberry plants do not like the roots getting too wet, so allow the top part of the strawberry plant to stay drier or root rot will set in, the roots in strawberries are very short, so drowning can occur.
I have strawberries growing in both my drip system and Kratky methods, and it is the drying method eg in my drip system in between waterings that the plant likes.If you keep the roots too wet it will affect the growth, so watch the Kratky water level so it is not too high and oxygen can get around the roots, and the top crown of the plant remains dry.

#3 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:35 AM

Nice strawberry plant. Did you grow it from a seed from a fresh fruit?

Actually, there is a strange thing about hydroponics that will take a bit of balancing.
Plants that don't like their soil too wet can still grow in hydroponics. How? Give it lots of air, especially at it's roots.

Your medium is mostly aquarium wool. It is a very wet culture. The aquarium wool will continuously wick water to it's surronding too. Don't think the strawberry can get much oxygen.

The initial strawberry seedlings will sprout and grow, but once it is slightly bigger, it will need the oxygen. You may want to consider cutting away huge parts of the wool, while keeping the part which the roots have penetrated intact, and replacing the rest of the space with clay balls. If the roots have pentrated through the wool, just let the tip of the roots get access to the nutrient solution. This way, your strawberry will grow healthier.

#4 User is offline   cylap888 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

View Poststhh, on 06 February 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

Actually, there is a strange thing about hydroponics that will take a bit of balancing.
Plants that don't like their soil too wet can still grow in hydroponics. How? Give it lots of air, especially at it's roots.

Your medium is mostly aquarium wool. It is a very wet culture. The aquarium wool will continuously wick water to it's surronding too. Don't think the strawberry can get much oxygen.

The initial strawberry seedlings will sprout and grow, but once it is slightly bigger, it will need the oxygen. You may want to consider cutting away huge parts of the wool, while keeping the part which the roots have penetrated intact, and replacing the rest of the space with clay balls. If the roots have pentrated through the wool, just let the tip of the roots get access to the nutrient solution. This way, your strawberry will grow healthier.

Yes its from seed of a fresh fruit. It germinated in my DIY auto siphon aquaponics (using overhead filter). Transport it to this kratky method because the aquaponics setup is having some high PH (8.2) issue.

In my net pot, I have leca balls at the bottom which touch the nutrient. The wool is sits on top.

#5 User is offline   CatNipLover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, molesting cats, youtuber, online games, sleep etc

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Where do u get this small pink net pot? =D

#6 User is offline   cylap888 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostCatNipLover, on 06 February 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

Where do u get this small pink net pot? =D

From aquarium shop that selling aquatic plants.

#7 User is offline   cylap888 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah271/peterla678/2015-02-06_152052_zps113mjqfp.jpg

I am ordering this to try. Can fit in some 500ml or 1.5l drink bottles.

Aliexpress online shop

#8 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

View Poststhh, on 06 February 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

Again you are so right with your diagnosis with strawberries, I also try to keep the crown of the plant dry as rot can set in , so I keep the crown higher in the leica balls , as the roots do not go very deep and can drown.
sthh you have so much knowledge and wisdom that I salute you for your good and gracious comments, you and a handful of others , ( who know who you are) are leading the way in hydroponic gardening and taking others along with your local knowledge of the weather and conditions in Singapore. I do live in Australia but my second home is Malaysia where scepticism abounds about new and proven forms of gardening which includes hydroponics.
I have access to many new heirloom varieties of seeds, just let me know if I can help and promote these with you.Having been in Hong Kong last year the same space restrictions apply where balcony hydroponics could be a blessing.

This post has been edited by Robert1943: 15 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users