Hydroponic Experiment with my economical DIY Setup

#61 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Plant, moss, bonsai, etc

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

View PostCyberTron, on 10 February 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

plant into a leica is very expensive...hahaha...

I think it is relatively more convenient and easier to deal with white filter/sponge & LECA ball than in soil!!
And I can't agree more with what sthh had said before 'no more dirty fingernails' :hysterical:/>

#62 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

Lim, why don't you grow 2 mulberry cuttings in hydroponics? Then you can compare growth rate with the cuttings you grow in soil. Mulberry cutting can flower & fruit while sitting in tap water. Keep the very thick stems for your bonsai.

#63 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

View PostLimSan, on 10 February 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

I think it is relatively more convenient and easier to deal with white filter/sponge & LECA ball than in soil!!
And I can't agree more with what sthh had said before 'no more dirty fingernails' :hysterical:/>/>

Ha ha

#64 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

View PostWisteria, on 10 February 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Lim, why don't you grow 2 mulberry cuttings in hydroponics? Then you can compare growth rate with the cuttings you grow in soil. Mulberry cutting can flower & fruit while sitting in tap water. Keep the very thick stems for your bonsai.

Hahahahaaa, great minds think alike!!

Since I've already "broke my non-stagnant water rule in my planting area, LOL" I've dug-out one and put it in the DIY netted pot with the nutrient solution, hope it still can grow..

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/Mobile%20Uploads/aziphone277_zps833e50d4.jpg

As for the rest, several already died and only 3 survival left include the hydroponic one.

Pic 1 - 13 days growth
http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/Mobile%20Uploads/January2120151643_zpsf1be3abd.jpg

Pic 2 - 33 days growth (today) with 1 survive in this pot I think!
http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/Mobile%20Uploads/Copyofaziphone275_zps5525d511.jpg

Another pot with 1 survival, and now started to grow!
33 days growth (today)
http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/Mobile%20Uploads/Copy2ofaziphone275_zpsfccd0f96.jpg

This post has been edited by LimSan: 10 February 2015 - 10:25 PM

#65 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

Oh no! You shouldn't have further divided each long stem into such short cuttings. Very low chance of survival in that case. When each stem is 25-30cm long, they root easily. The stem needs to have many nodes on it so that when you prune the plant many months down the road, there will be new growth from those leaf nodes that haven't sprouted the first round.

1st photo ~ that cutting already changed colour and it's very dry by now, 80% chance it won't make it
Pic 2 (33 days growth) - those 3 twigs confirmed dead, can throw already
last photo (33 days growth) - the 2 twigs also confirmed dead, can throw away

If you didn't further divide each cutting upon receipt, after 1 month rooting in tap water, they will look like this:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/IMG_7303.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/amazon-blue/IMG_7302.jpg

This post has been edited by Wisteria: 10 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

#66 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

oh... my learning lesson of the day! LOL
Other than the above 2 were divided to short stems, the rest were in the soil.. and the other died!

day 33 (today)
http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/Mobile%20Uploads/aziphone276_zpsaacf7005.jpg

This post has been edited by LimSan: 10 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

#67 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

This cutting also looks very dry. I will recommend you give it a fresh cut and root in tap water. If it's still alive, you will see the buds at the leaf nodes turn green within 5 days and new shoot will sprout by next week. I rarely root cuttings directly in soil because if the soil dries out in between watering, the cutting will dry up easily.

Fresh mulberry cuttings when left to root in water, the buds at the leaf nodes will swell during first week from rooting start date and new leaves will grow during 2nd week. By 33 days, the cutting will have good root mass + several leaves and some cuttings will even produce flowers.

#68 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

View PostWisteria, on 10 February 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

This cutting also looks very dry. I will recommend you give it a fresh cut and root in tap water. If it's still alive, you will see the buds at the leaf nodes turn green within 5 days and new shoot will sprout by next week. I rarely root cuttings directly in soil because if the soil dries out in between watering, the cutting will dry up easily.

Fresh mulberry cuttings when left to root in water, the buds at the leaf nodes will swell during first week from rooting start date and new leaves will grow during 2nd week. By 33 days, the cutting will have good root mass + several leaves and some cuttings will even produce flowers.

ok, gonna cut it and put in water soon... many thanks Wisteria..

#69 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:46 PM

View PostWisteria, on 10 February 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

That's interesting! I will grow one cutting in hydroponics. Thanks.

#70 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

Lim, quickly give the dehydrated cutting in LECA a fresh cut as well and root in tap water. If the core of the stem is white, the cutting is still alive. If the core has become deadwood, the cutting is no longer viable.

Hope you can save both of them.

#71 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostWisteria, on 10 February 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

Lim, quickly give the dehydrated cutting in LECA a fresh cut as well and root in tap water. If the core of the stem is white, the cutting is still alive. If the core has become deadwood, the cutting is no longer viable.

Hope you can save both of them.

ok, have just completed (left is the one in soil, right is the one in LECA)... the one in LECA having a bud seems is growing... lets see the power of hydroponics LOL
Thanks Wisteria!
http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9000fb78.jpg

This post has been edited by LimSan: 11 February 2015 - 12:01 AM

#72 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:14 PM

View PostGraceS, on 10 February 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

That's interesting! I will grow one cutting in hydroponics. Thanks.

Hope to see your experiment too so as to learn from it. Do update with your pictures soon ^_^/>

This post has been edited by LimSan: 11 February 2015 - 12:04 AM

#73 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:44 AM

Too bad that all the earlier mulberry cuttings and those seeds sown earlier all went to heaven liao http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/tuzki-bunnys/tuzki-bunny-emoticon-014.gif

Determine to try again with the surrounding temperature getting warmer (since could not have direct sunlight) I reckon there'll be greater chance to do better this time. So last week, only 1 tomato seed was put to test this round :hitmyself:/>

Am glad to see it sprouted within 3 days and have since transfered into a DIY plastic cup... hope it do well (finger-crossed.. & toe-crossed too!)

This post has been edited by LimSan: 09 March 2015 - 01:45 AM

#74 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

All the best for the tomato seedling

#75 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostLimSan, on 09 March 2015 - 01:44 AM, said:

Too bad that all the earlier mulberry cuttings and those seeds sown earlier all went to heaven liao http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/tuzki-bunnys/tuzki-bunny-emoticon-014.gif

Determine to try again with the surrounding temperature getting warmer (since could not have direct sunlight) I reckon there'll be greater chance to do better this time. So last week, only 1 tomato seed was put to test this round :hitmyself:/>/>

Am glad to see it sprouted within 3 days and have since transfered into a DIY plastic cup... hope it do well (finger-crossed.. & toe-crossed too!)

Sad to hear that. :huh:/> What happened though?

#76 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

View Postlazearus, on 09 March 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

Sad to hear that. :huh:/>/> What happened though?

Well, I've also tried along with few PaiTsai seeds you given me, with similar situation. :closedeyes:/>

Overall, I suspect the earlier cool & dry (windy) weather condition at my place without direct sunlight cannot sustain the growth after germination. They do sprout with a new single root and first 2 leaves which about to fully emerge, and than it stay as it is for few days without growth, follow by either rot set-in or dry away. This could be due to the lack of sufficient energy (light + heat)! That is once it is germinated it need more energy to continue in its growing process.

So in my observation, without sufficient energy, seeds may germinate but the growth will stop.. then it either rot or dry-out after few days of stunt growth.

#77 User is offline   lazearus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

View PostLimSan, on 09 March 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

Well, I've also tried along with few PaiTsai seeds you given me, with similar situation. :closedeyes:/>/>

Overall, I suspect the earlier cool & dry (windy) weather condition at my place without direct sunlight cannot sustain the growth after germination. They do sprout with a new single root and first 2 leaves which about to fully emerge, and than it stay as it is for few days without growth, follow by either rot set-in or dry away. This could be due to the lack of sufficient energy (light + heat)! That is once it is germinated it need more energy to continue in its growing process.

So in my observation, without sufficient energy, seeds may germinate but the growth will stop.. then it either rot or dry-out after few days of stunt growth.

Hmm. Is the water level kept to the level of the wool during the seed leaves phase? All but my Pai Tsai seedlings seem to be doing well by the window where there are constantly large warm drafts and bright light. Yeah maybe you need to place them in a warmer and brighter spot.

#78 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

View Postlazearus, on 09 March 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

Hmm. Is the water level kept to the level of the wool during the seed leaves phase? All but my Pai Tsai seedlings seem to be doing well by the window where there are constantly large warm drafts and bright light. Yeah maybe you need to place them in a warmer and brighter spot.

Yes, has top-up the water just below the wool to wick them up. Now the 2nd batch of PaiTsai seeds sown last week also germinated well and now observing their growth. So by this weekend, they will either 'do or die' :hysterical:/>

#79 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostLimSan, on 09 March 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

Well, I've also tried along with few PaiTsai seeds you given me, with similar situation. :closedeyes:/>/>

Was it in water or nutrient solution when it went to heaven? What is the strength of your nutrient solution?

#80 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostGraceS, on 09 March 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Was it in water or nutrient solution when it went to heaven? What is the strength of your nutrient solution?

Was in diluted nutrient solutions (1:100 lushgro a + b solution)

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users