GCS Forum: Growing Capsicums... - GCS Forum

Page 1 of 1

Growing Capsicums... Root Bound Panic!!!!

#1 User is offline   brownbear 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

Growing my capiscums for the past 6 months and finally saw one of them flowering really nice looking white flowers after taking care of them. Possibly a little slow.

Decided to check their roots since they seem to be growing a little slower and I saw a mealy bug on the leaf the other day and decided to inspect the soil to make sure the soil is clean with no bugs + change a fresh pot of soil. So lifted the 4 capsicums (in a single pot) outta the pot only to realise that they are root bound!!! :hitmyself:/>/>

Yes, scold me guys. I literally ignored the plant spacing and didn't really expect the roots to grow so fast.

Anyway, I'd separated the roots by hand and kept them in separate smallish pots for now. But still cannot run. I HAVE to get a much deeper and bigger pot now and bring my capsicum plants back home (I am growing it in office right now though). Anyone who grew these little suckers to their maximum height? How tall can they grow exactly? :o/>/> I don't want to go through the same agony of repotting them and praying I didn't kill them in the process.

This post has been edited by brownbear: 21 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

#2 User is offline   CatNipLover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, molesting cats, youtuber, online games, sleep etc

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

I dunno if this is a capsicum plant or not... Took it less than 3 months to have its first flower. I planted it using deep water culture.

If this is a capsicum plant, my questions will be the same as yours. :unsure:/>

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/CatNipLover/WP_20150120_039_zps3e0c36e9.jpg

#3 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostCatNipLover, on 21 January 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

I dunno if this is a capsicum plant or not... Took it less than 3 months to have its first flower. I planted it using deep water culture.

If this is a capsicum plant, my questions will be the same as yours. :unsure:/>/>

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/CatNipLover/WP_20150120_039_zps3e0c36e9.jpg

Looks like a healthy plant , must be getting the correct nutrients, I too am growing capsicums in DWC and they really are going great.

#4 User is offline   CatNipLover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

Hi Robert! Yes! Perhaps the environment was right at that moment. But that moment didnt last... Soon after that, each of them had root rot.........

I think they can grow up to one metre. I have changed the solution and left them untouched for a week. It was so damn hard for me NOT to touch them. After the long long long week, I check on the roots. Guess what! New white roots are growing!

Again... I must thank sthh for sharing how his friend neglected the tomato plant which still grew so healthily. XD

This post has been edited by CatNipLover: 05 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

#5 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

View PostCatNipLover, on 05 February 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

Hi Robert! Yes! Perhaps the environment was right at that moment. But that moment didnt last... Soon after that, each of them had root rot.........

I think they can grow up to one metre. I have changed the solution and left them untouched for a week. It was so damn hard for me NOT to touch them. After the long long long week, I check on the roots. Guess what! New white roots are growing!

Again... I must thank sthh for sharing how his friend neglected the tomato plant which still grew so healthily. XD

I went away on holiday and came back home to see that my plants had root rot, after a few days of temperatures in the high 30's and the nutrients got very hot in the sun, I have added h202 Hydrogen peroxide and my plants are going great new leaves , the old ones fell off, plants are flowering and roots are going back to white again.
I also have found that changing the nutrients every 2/3 weeks assists in healthy new growth and roots actively growing as you have mentioned , well done!

#6 User is offline   CatNipLover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostRobert1943, on 05 February 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

I went away on holiday and came back home to see that my plants had root rot, after a few days of temperatures in the high 30's and the nutrients got very hot in the sun, I have added h202 Hydrogen peroxide and my plants are going great new leaves , the old ones fell off, plants are flowering and roots are going back to white again.
I also have found that changing the nutrients every 2/3 weeks assists in healthy new growth and roots actively growing as you have mentioned , well done!

My younger brother's chilli plants are also facing root rot. I was so worried as both plants are fruiting. Immediately, I changed the nutrient solution and add an air stone. The pump is switched on for 12 hours (7pm to 7am) if I am at home. After one week, new white roots are growing and their leaves no longer looked dehydrated under hot sun. I wanted to add h2o2 but hesitated since it is still in the early stage of root rot (beige/ light brown roots). I have added h2o2 to my capsicum plant as the roots were totally black. Feel so heartpain. Hopefully it will regain its strength.

#7 User is offline   Greenleaf brownthumb 

• PipPip

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

Sorry noob question here!
Is it possible to grow capsicum using seeds from those bought at NTUC?

Like buy le chop up and eat the veg then use the seeds to grow a plant.
I'm assuming I have to get the seedling up then pot and put it under full sun.
Am a bit skimpy on fertilizers. I just use home made compost and erm ... diluted urine :blush:/> . Would these be enough?

#8 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

View PostGreenleaf brownthumb, on 01 December 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

Sorry noob question here!
Is it possible to grow capsicum using seeds from those bought at NTUC?

Like buy le chop up and eat the veg then use the seeds to grow a plant.
I'm assuming I have to get the seedling up then pot and put it under full sun.
Am a bit skimpy on fertilizers. I just use home made compost and erm ... diluted urine :blush:/>/> . Would these be enough?

Yes, definitely.

#9 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:22 PM

View Poststhh, on 01 December 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

Yes, definitely.

Hello sthh you seem to be doing really well with your hydroponic capsicums and chillies.
I have had one of the worst years with my hydroponic chillies.
My soil based chillies are doing great but I have tried growing chillies in my DWC no success, I have tried growing in my ebb and flow with no success, and now I am trying my drip system also with limited success with several plants flowering but all buds dropping off.
In desperation I am contacting you or any one else on the forum to help.
I have all the equipment but chillies in hydroponics are driving me crazy.
I am using Grow and bloom nutrients A and B with a ph of 6 and an Ec of about 1.5 but it still does does not seem to work.
I have tried various watering times but again no great difference.
If anyone can give me some advice I would be very grateful.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users