• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

It need more sun, at least 4 hours.

#3 User is offline   lollipot 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Girls and bus driver uncles.

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

I hate to say it. Rosemary are hard to grow. Somehow, they always dried up.
Saw fresh pots at the New Year Market plant Stall at Bishan St 22.. felt so tempted to buy.. BUT... BUT ... But... I got no space to grow and it might just be another dried up -> dump experience again :(/>

#4 User is offline   janegoaty 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

Rosemary is sometimes called hard to grow but it can do fine here if you give it the right conditions. I used to live in a mediterranean climate and this plant grew all over the place like a weed. In my experience, there are a couple of things to keep in mind.
1. The root system is way bigger than you think.
2. Don't plant it in rich soil or very sandy soil (sand is fine if it's in the ground but not in containers)
3. Rosemary hates you so don't even try to look at it.

When you buy it from the nursery, it's probably very root bound and about to die at any moment. Take it out and loosen the roots a bit then plant it in a large pot in something like 1:1:1 of perlite, coco coir and compost or compost/sand mix. Water it once in a while and try to give it at least 4 hours of sunlight like digitalgate says. Neglect it as much as you can. The worst thing you can do is water it too much. Don't forget to prune it sometimes.

Also, there are different types of rosemary. I bought one from a nursery here a few months ago and when I took it out, I ripped it into three plants and planted them in separate pots. I planted cuttings from this as well. They are all doing ok, but they are rather slow growing. Then there is another type that I grew from supermarket cuttings. I see it at Cold Storage sometimes - it's got bigger darker green leaves that are softer than the nursery type, with softer stems too. This one grows much faster and I prefer the look of it too.

This is the Cold Storage cutting. Rooted it at the end of December.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k127/janegoaty/20150105_121157_zpsfelvbdeg.jpg

It's the one on the right, and the one on the left is one third of the original nursery plant.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k127/janegoaty/20150309_174328_zpsg07vbowu.jpg

Rosemary takes forever to establish itself, but once it's happy in it's new home (and we're talking maybe over a year), you will have a huge bush and you can make as much roast lamb and potatoes as you like and never run out of the stuff. Totally worth it :)/>

This post has been edited by janegoaty: 10 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

#5 User is offline   Greenleaf brownthumb 

• PipPip

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:51 AM

From what I read online here and there, rosemary seems to like lots of sun and fast draining soil i.e. likes to remain dry.

So.... Can rosemary stand being put out in the open under Singapore weather especially now during the monsoon season?

I intend to repot a cold storage rosemary using a 1:1 mix of garden soil and compost in a styrofoam box which I poke holes and laid with a base layer of newspaper to prevent too much soil from falling out. I may mulch with peanut shells or if I can find, some gravel.

Think this would work?

Cos the other alternative is an area with bright shade which I suspect the rosemary will not do well at all.

This post has been edited by Greenleaf brownthumb: 02 December 2015 - 02:52 AM

#6 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

View PostGreenleaf brownthumb, on 02 December 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

From what I read online here and there, rosemary seems to like lots of sun and fast draining soil i.e. likes to remain dry.

So.... Can rosemary stand being put out in the open under Singapore weather especially now during the monsoon season?

I intend to repot a cold storage rosemary using a 1:1 mix of garden soil and compost in a styrofoam box which I poke holes and laid with a base layer of newspaper to prevent too much soil from falling out. I may mulch with peanut shells or if I can find, some gravel.

Think this would work?

Cos the other alternative is an area with bright shade which I suspect the rosemary will not do well at all.

I bought a pot of rosemary from the NParks during the GDO around 6 months ago.. still doing well so far and I've tried to take cuttings to grow more pots. the original is doing really well, considering the fact that I did not repot it and it's in bright shade all the time. it's growing pretty big and has really served me well so far.

1 thing I learn from this to let the soil dry out before watering the plant. this usually depends on the weather. in hotter June months, I could water the plant on alternate days. in recent months when it's raining, I will only water it mayb 4-5 days once. every time I water, make sure the plant is fully drenched and water is dripping out from the bottom.

the soil the plant is in also matters. i'm not sure what kind of soil Nparks is using. but it's exceptionally light when the soil is dry. so light that the plant could topple over in strong winds. I've planted the cuttings in soil intended for cactus and such and it seems to be working so far.

my plants are pretty sheltered and do not get exposure to the rain and I suspect that might be 1 of the factors as well.

all in all, that is pretty much what I do. might try to get a picture of the plant when I get back later.

#7 User is offline   lollipot 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Girls and bus driver uncles.

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:18 PM

View Postlollipot, on 30 January 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

I hate to say it. Rosemary are hard to grow. Somehow, they always dried up.
Saw fresh pots at the New Year Market plant Stall at Bishan St 22.. felt so tempted to buy.. BUT... BUT ... But... I got no space to grow and it might just be another dried up -> dump experience again :(/>/>

Reply to myself. not anymore. i using lazy pots from taobao - success.. now i water too much and drown them.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users