• Last »

My journey on Hydroponics trials and errors

#41 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

View Postelsiekoh, on 05 February 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

hmmm... okok.. will monitor the pepper plant.. mayb change the solution later and see if that works...

huh!!! sure or not!! oh no... i'll never cut them away next time.. I tot I cut them away then my tomatoes will grow big and fat mah.. :(/>/>/> I dunno Oh Chin Huat solution is what NPK... hmmm...

Don't change the solution of your pepper. They don't need high nutrient. Tell OCH you need fruiting solution, and they will give you a different solution type.
Otherwise, the standard lushgro solution A and B is for growing plants and leaf vegetables, high in nitrogen, and not good for flowers and fruits development.

#42 User is offline   CatNipLover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, molesting cats, youtuber, online games, sleep etc

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

Recently, my tomato plants are having yellowish new leaves. I read up and it may be due to lack of calcium.

I thought of doing this. Any suggestions?

"For calcium and micronutrients we will use eggshell dissolved in lemon juice, which produces calcium citrate, and a bunch of other dissolved elements. This also helps buffer the pH, since growth media tends to get too basic (high pH). Egg shell contains calcium, magnesium, and all the other micronutrients needed by plants, in approximately the right proportions. How convenient!

Take an eggshell, leave the membrane intact, and let it dry. Then crush it as finely as you can, membrane and all. Then dissolve it in lemon juice using these measurements:
1/2 teaspoon of dried powdered eggshell
The juice of half a lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons).

Leave it overnight in a covered glass or jar to dissolve. It's ok if it's a bit gritty or some of it doesn't dissolve."

Quoted from http://oasisagropk.b...ml#.VNMRIS534uY

This post has been edited by CatNipLover: 05 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

#43 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostCatNipLover, on 05 February 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

hmmm... Bu ke neng......After a few of my flowers dropped off, the rest start fruiting non stop. Have you switch to high P solution?

I am the opposite... :(/>/> The chilli padi and chilli plants are bearing 17 fruits but my tomato plants are either dying or stop growing at the height of 10 cm max.

One tomato plant nearly died but it survived after I cut off its rotting roots. I have no green fingers for tomatoes..

Thanks! I also hope your sweet petite plant will grow fruit! I cant wait to grow mine in the same set-up as yours too! I like the idea of the socks! My friend was telling me the black plastic bag is ugly. kns... really meh...

i'm using the fruiting solution from Oh Chin Huat.. I assume it should have high P & K since the plants are flowering.. haha..

hmmm... the problem might lie in your solution? or are there any bugs or pest on your plants? if you are mixing your own solution, I dunno how to help u.. I find that way too confusing and not cost effective since I dun rear fishes..

my sock oso got ppl think ugly lah.. those are old socks which I was about to throw away.. then I tot might as well use for the plants and it worked! haha.. for some plants which are exposed to more sunlight, I will wrap newspaper around the container then pull the sock over.. black plastic bag very useful! not ugly lah..

#44 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

View Poststhh, on 05 February 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

Don't change the solution of your pepper. They don't need high nutrient. Tell OCH you need fruiting solution, and they will give you a different solution type.
Otherwise, the standard lushgro solution A and B is for growing plants and leaf vegetables, high in nitrogen, and not good for flowers and fruits development.

yup! using the fruiting solution previously and now as well.. I bought both kinds seeing that they were $3.50? I think.. I've been using that on my tomatoes and chilli for around 1 - 1.5 mths? seems not bad.. but they did put on the instructions to change the water every week.. which I dun usually.. should I do that?

used lushgro on the herbs and Malabar spinach.. they do grow faster then the chilli...

#45 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

View PostCatNipLover, on 05 February 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

Recently, my tomato plants are having yellowish new leaves. I read up and it may be due to lack of calcium.

I thought of doing this. Any suggestions?

"For calcium and micronutrients we will use eggshell dissolved in lemon juice, which produces calcium citrate, and a bunch of other dissolved elements. This also helps buffer the pH, since growth media tends to get too basic (high pH). Egg shell contains calcium, magnesium, and all the other micronutrients needed by plants, in approximately the right proportions. How convenient!

Take an eggshell, leave the membrane intact, and let it dry. Then crush it as finely as you can, membrane and all. Then dissolve it in lemon juice using these measurements:
1/2 teaspoon of dried powdered eggshell
The juice of half a lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons).

Leave it overnight in a covered glass or jar to dissolve. It's ok if it's a bit gritty or some of it doesn't dissolve."

Quoted from http://oasisagropk.b...ml#.VNMRIS534uY

hmmm... this seems more for plants grown in soil?? i'm not sure if it can be used for hydroponic plants.. the lemon might render the solution too acidic?? not so sure.. see what STHH thinks..

#46 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

I don't like using organic stuff in hydroponics. It adds too many unknown, and organic stuff have a tendency to attract fungus, bacteria and pest. Eggshell, lemon.. hmmmm..

The only organic stuff I used in my hydroponic is 1 drop of white rice vinegar, and that already change the PH of 3 litre of water from 7 to 6.5. If you squeeze half a lemon, I think your ph will go haywire.

#47 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

View Postelsiekoh, on 05 February 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

i'm using the fruiting solution from Oh Chin Huat.. I assume it should have high P & K since the plants are flowering.. haha..

hmmm... the problem might lie in your solution? or are there any bugs or pest on your plants? if you are mixing your own solution, I dunno how to help u.. I find that way too confusing and not cost effective since I dun rear fishes..

my sock oso got ppl think ugly lah.. those are old socks which I was about to throw away.. then I tot might as well use for the plants and it worked! haha.. for some plants which are exposed to more sunlight, I will wrap newspaper around the container then pull the sock over.. black plastic bag very useful! not ugly lah..

During the initial stage of growth, plant seedlings will need the high nitrogen nutrient solution. The plant will develop strong leaves and stems. Only when the plant is showing signs of flowering and fruiting, then you change the nutrient solution to the high phosphorus and high potassium. The plant will then develop more flowers and fruits.

Are you using the high nitrogen solution for your sweet petite pepper? It will help the pepper develop more leaves and branches. I don't usually change my nutrient solution weekly, but then I don't use Lushgro products. I am still using cheap soluble npk fertilisers. 1/4 teaspoon of that will be more than sufficient for my plants.

The socks looks good actually. It is quite innovative.

#48 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

View Poststhh, on 05 February 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

During the initial stage of growth, plant seedlings will need the high nitrogen nutrient solution. The plant will develop strong leaves and stems. Only when the plant is showing signs of flowering and fruiting, then you change the nutrient solution to the high phosphorus and high potassium. The plant will then develop more flowers and fruits.

Are you using the high nitrogen solution for your sweet petite pepper? It will help the pepper develop more leaves and branches. I don't usually change my nutrient solution weekly, but then I don't use Lushgro products. I am still using cheap soluble npk fertilisers. 1/4 teaspoon of that will be more than sufficient for my plants.

The socks looks good actually. It is quite innovative.

Hmmm... i've been using the fruiting solution since the sweet petite plant only had 4 leaves? I asked the guy from Oh Chin Huat previously and he told me to just use the fruiting solution from the start.. so i tot to just try tt and see what happens.. not sure if that is why the plant started budding so early..

hahaha.. i think i got the socks idea from somewhere else.. glad someone finds it innovative.. :P/>/>

This post has been edited by elsiekoh: 05 February 2015 - 10:02 PM

#49 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:07 PM

View Postelsiekoh, on 05 February 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

Hmmm... i've been using the fruiting solution since the sweet petite plant only had 4 leaves? I asked the guy from Oh Chin Huat previously and he told me to just use the fruiting solution from the start.. so i tot to just try tt and see what happens.. not sure if that is why the plant started budding so early..

hahaha.. i think i got the socks from somewhere else.. glad someone finds it innovative.. :P/>/>

Geez, no wonder your sweet petite pepper is fruiting at when it is so small and doesn't have much leaves.

#50 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:02 AM

View Postelsiekoh, on 05 February 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

tough to provide a trellis.. it's sitting on my clothes dryer rack at the moment.. (lack of space with light) and so I play musical chairs with them whenever I wash clothes.. :(/>/> I try to twill it around itself.. hahaha.. guess I need to harvest it more..

nutritional value for Malabar spinach seems to be high.. i'm thinking of steamboat.. :P/>/> u think can work? need more leaves thou.. now only enough for stir fry for 1 person..

I don't think it can twirl around itself. It can grow in a sunny area or partial shade. If you have a window grill or window, can consider to tie a string there and let it twirl. Alternatively, you can tie a stick/sticks to the side of your container and let it climb and branch out. You can still move your pot around to catch the sun. Currently, I have some growing on my wall railing and may experiment with growing some on the round tomato trellis.

You can harvest some leaves from the top 2/3 of the plant (enough to cook maggie mee for 1 pax) and replant the stem cuttings. This way, you can increase your plants by 4x or more in no time. The existing plant will continue to spurt afew cm a day and you will have enough for steam boat in maybe 2-3 months time! So far, they are the easiest and fastest to grow for me, needs minimum fuss and hardly affected by insects. I have experimented with just giving it tap/rain water for more than a month instead of nutrient solution and it continued to grow (although not as fast)! The only problem I have encounted recently for those grown under direct sun is possibly fungus attack (white circle with purple ring(s) on leaves). I think it could be due to the very hot and humid weather recently and my reservoir was in direct contact with the hot floor. Those grown in partial shade is safe so far. Treating those infected with hydrogen peroxide and monitoring progress.

#51 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:27 AM

View Poststhh, on 05 February 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

I don't like using organic stuff in hydroponics. It adds too many unknown, and organic stuff have a tendency to attract fungus, bacteria and pest. Eggshell, lemon.. hmmmm..

The only organic stuff I used in my hydroponic is 1 drop of white rice vinegar, and that already change the PH of 3 litre of water from 7 to 6.5. If you squeeze half a lemon, I think your ph will go haywire.

My thoughts also, don't mix organics into hydro.

#52 User is offline   Jesse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

View PostGraceS, on 06 February 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

I don't think it can twirl around itself. It can grow in a sunny area or partial shade. If you have a window grill or window, can consider to tie a string there and let it twirl. Alternatively, you can tie a stick/sticks to the side of your container and let it climb and branch out. You can still move your pot around to catch the sun. Currently, I have some growing on my wall railing and may experiment with growing some on the round tomato trellis.

You can harvest some leaves from the top 2/3 of the plant (enough to cook maggie mee for 1 pax) and replant the stem cuttings. This way, you can increase your plants by 4x or more in no time. The existing plant will continue to spurt afew cm a day and you will have enough for steam boat in maybe 2-3 months time! So far, they are the easiest and fastest to grow for me, needs minimum fuss and hardly affected by insects. I have experimented with just giving it tap/rain water for more than a month instead of nutrient solution and it continued to grow (although not as fast)! The only problem I have encounted recently for those grown under direct sun is possibly fungus attack (white circle with purple ring(s) on leaves). I think it could be due to the very hot and humid weather recently and my reservoir was in direct contact with the hot floor. Those grown in partial shade is safe so far. Treating those infected with hydrogen peroxide and monitoring progress.

I am growing above my fish tank, just beside the window. Intend to let it coil around the window grill. Gt some black stuff, almost thought is a scale insect but it actually the fruit. Look scary at first glance. Cooking in maggie mee seem like a good idea. Just pluck and put inside.

#53 User is offline   CatNipLover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, molesting cats, youtuber, online games, sleep etc

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

I see I see... Hmm.. Then how else can I increase the calcium for the solution? Any suggestion?

#54 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

View PostCatNipLover, on 06 February 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

I see I see... Hmm.. Then how else can I increase the calcium for the solution? Any suggestion?

You don't need to. Just change the nutrient solution to a fresh batch, and there will be calcium. Don't add too much magnesium salt (Epsom salt), it inhibits calcium uptake.

#55 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

View Poststhh, on 06 February 2015 - 09:55 AM, said:

You don't need to. Just change the nutrient solution to a fresh batch, and there will be calcium. Don't add too much magnesium salt (Epsom salt), it inhibits calcium uptake.

You have hit it on the head , you are a very good teacher.

#56 User is offline   Rose88 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:travelling, gardening and cooking

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

Anyone has villa tomato to exchange for some seeds?

#57 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostGraceS, on 06 February 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

I dun have window grills.. hahah.. only sliding windows.. but your tying sticks on the sides of the container is good! mayb I will try that and see how...

I get the white circle with purple ring on my plant as well.. still puzzled what it might be.. but I do notice that top few leaves do not have that.. only leaves nearer the base of the plant.. some commented it might be burnt mark.. dun look like it to me thou...

#58 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostJesse, on 06 February 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

I am growing above my fish tank, just beside the window. Intend to let it coil around the window grill. Gt some black stuff, almost thought is a scale insect but it actually the fruit. Look scary at first glance. Cooking in maggie mee seem like a good idea. Just pluck and put inside.

fruit?! your Malabar spinach produces fruit?? pls take a pic! I've not seen it before..

#59 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

View PostRose88, on 08 February 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

Anyone has villa tomato to exchange for some seeds?

sorry.. I dun have any spare at the moment.. i'm keeping some for another forummer and I split half with my mum previously.. you can check with another guy who just shared his process on vilma tomatoes.. :)/>

#60 User is offline   Jesse 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

View Postelsiekoh, on 09 February 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

fruit?! your Malabar spinach produces fruit?? pls take a pic! I've not seen it before..

A bit blur, hope you can see it. look like black berry.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l56/jessetanbk/Gardening%20Journal/Home%20Garden/0B6A42AD-695D-4762-8474-584D71A7D422.jpg

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users