• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

My journey on Hydroponics trials and errors

#1 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

I've been tinkering with hydroponics for a few months so far.. read up on some information online and watched some youtube videos.. nothing beats the actual trial and error version.. my main inspiration has been sthh thou.. really learn a lot from him and i'm still learning. :)/>/>/>

bush tomato - vilma variety (mayb around 3 mths old?)
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/elsie40/Mobile%20Uploads/CYMERA_20150116_180606_zps64161d04.jpg

very very compact plant and suitable for my space. flowers appear recently and I've been doing the "shaking when you walk pass", "tapping the stems rapidly" and "using vibrating shaver to mimic bees"... not sure if they are working thou.
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/elsie40/Mobile%20Uploads/CYMERA_20150116_180745_zpsbf6ab74f.jpg

saw tt green thing peeking out from 1 lone flower and pls tell me if that is what I'm looking for? the other flowers are looking very normal and no clues from them.
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/elsie40/Mobile%20Uploads/CYMERA_20150116_180622_zpsf67db9e4.jpg

#2 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

trying to grow chilli as well. sowed habanero, common seng siong chilli padi and sweet perlite chilli.. habanero and chilli padi looks the same to me so I might have got it wrong.

chilli padi/habanero (mayb 2 months)
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/elsie40/Mobile%20Uploads/CYMERA_20150116_180948_zps60b4c1b6.jpg

the leaves are gigantic compared to what I see in plant shops. so I hope i'm not doing anything wrong. the plant is getting rather tall. should I be topping it and encouraging it to send out side shoots so that it will be bushy instead of lanky?
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/elsie40/Mobile%20Uploads/CYMERA_20150116_181013_zps949b760f.jpg

too early to tell if these are buds.. but i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

sweet perlite chilli (mayb 1 mth old?)
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/elsie40/Mobile%20Uploads/CYMERA_20150116_181052_zps9fcf6c66.jpg
very slow growing. I might be drowning the roots, I heard. goin to reduce amount of water and wait.

#3 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

I can see fruits forming on your vilma tomato already !!
Saw the seeds selling at theseedmaster.com, interesting dwarf variety. Wonder how does it taste like?

The culture of your sweet petite pepper looks much wetter than mine. My chilli plants all barely get any water, and all the clay balls are usually very dry, so the chilli plants all have to grow roots into the solution.

#4 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

View Poststhh, on 16 January 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

I can see fruits forming on your vilma tomato already !!
Saw the seeds selling at theseedmaster.com, interesting dwarf variety. Wonder how does it taste like?

The culture of your sweet petite pepper looks much wetter than mine. My chilli plants all barely get any water, and all the clay balls are usually very dry, so the chilli plants all have to grow roots into the solution.

woohoo!! Are those really fruits?!? I wasn't sure and didn't dare to get too hopeful.. tks for confirming!! From what i read online, vilma tomatoes are supposed to be juicy and sweet.. i certainly hope so.. i still have a few extra seeds thou. Are u interested?? :)/>

I'm trying to reduce more water from the chilli plant. But my roots are only around 4mm from the sponge! Worried that if i reduce too much, the roots will dry out.. how?

#5 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

View Postelsiekoh, on 17 January 2015 - 01:33 PM, said:

woohoo!! Are those really fruits?!? I wasn't sure and didn't dare to get too hopeful.. tks for confirming!! From what i read online, vilma tomatoes are supposed to be juicy and sweet.. i certainly hope so.. i still have a few extra seeds thou. Are u interested?? :)/>/>

I'm trying to reduce more water from the chilli plant. But my roots are only around 4mm from the sponge! Worried that if i reduce too much, the roots will dry out.. how?

Yeah, those are really tomato fruiting. Your habanero is also budding soon.
Time to look for low N higher P and K solution for those 2 plants.

Don't worry about hydroponic plants drying out. Lower your water. If they cannot get the water, they will show you with slightly wilting leaves, and you can top up a little bit. No harm. But too much water is going to stunt pepper seedlings growth.

Definitely interested in the vilma tomatoes seeds if you have some extra. Maybe when my dwarf tomato "Florida Basket" is ready to harvest for seeds, I will pm you, and send you a sase with some of my tomato seeds too.

#6 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

View Poststhh, on 17 January 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

Yeah, those are really tomato fruiting. Your habanero is also budding soon.
Time to look for low N higher P and K solution for those 2 plants.

Don't worry about hydroponic plants drying out. Lower your water. If they cannot get the water, they will show you with slightly wilting leaves, and you can top up a little bit. No harm. But too much water is going to stunt pepper seedlings growth.

Definitely interested in the vilma tomatoes seeds if you have some extra. Maybe when my dwarf tomato "Florida Basket" is ready to harvest for seeds, I will pm you, and send you a sase with some of my tomato seeds too.

i used to use the lushgro solution.. recently changed to the 'fruiting solution' from Oh Chin Huat.. trying out to see these works..

i'm away for 1 week currently.. worrying bout the plants.. but i will start reducing the water once i get back..

sure sure! I'll set aside some vilma seeds for u then! This is really a very convenient and compact variety.. if it tastes good, it will be perfect! I have just bought other veges seeds! When ur seeds are ready, i'll see what i have and send them over if you want. :)/>

#7 User is offline   furret 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:23 AM

View Postelsiekoh, on 18 January 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

i used to use the lushgro solution.. recently changed to the 'fruiting solution' from Oh Chin Huat.. trying out to see these works..

i'm away for 1 week currently.. worrying bout the plants.. but i will start reducing the water once i get back..

sure sure! I'll set aside some vilma seeds for u then! This is really a very convenient and compact variety.. if it tastes good, it will be perfect! I have just bought other veges seeds! When ur seeds are ready, i'll see what i have and send them over if you want. :)/>/>

If you need I can pass you some more genovese basil seeds and some thai basil too and also I have this 'apricot dream' cherry tomatoes currently fruiting so I can pass you some of that too!

#8 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

View Postelsiekoh, on 18 January 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

sure sure! I'll set aside some vilma seeds for u then! This is really a very convenient and compact variety.. if it tastes good, it will be perfect! I have just bought other veges seeds! When ur seeds are ready, i'll see what i have and send them over if you want. :)/>/>

Hydroponics means you don't have to worry about watering your plants.
1 week away is not a problem, unless your tomato is fruiting heavily, and tomatoes are heavy drinkers.

#9 User is offline   CatNipLover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, molesting cats, youtuber, online games, sleep etc

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

Nice setup! So envious of your tomato plant............

I hope more people will use this method! And this world will never run out of healthy organic vege! And I can go around stealing tomato plants!

#10 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

View Postfurret, on 18 January 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

If you need I can pass you some more genovese basil seeds and some thai basil too and also I have this 'apricot dream' cherry tomatoes currently fruiting so I can pass you some of that too!

Cool! That would be great!! I could send u some of the vilma tomato seeds if you want.. i dun have a lot of that.. but their gemination rate is super high.. nearly 100% so far..

#11 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:26 PM

View Poststhh, on 18 January 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

Hydroponics means you don't have to worry about watering your plants.
1 week away is not a problem, unless your tomato is fruiting heavily, and tomatoes are heavy drinkers.

Hmmm.. i saw flowers on them only when i left.. hope everything goes well.. but super big leaves.. so needs lots of water.. saw ur post on the drawf tomato seeds.. is there 1 pack reserved for me pls? :)/>

#12 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

View PostCatNipLover, on 19 January 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

Nice setup! So envious of your tomato plant............

I hope more people will use this method! And this world will never run out of healthy organic vege! And I can go around stealing tomato plants!

Tks! I see that your plants are doing well too! Mine is a mini set up so far.. trying to think of ways to expand my set up..

#13 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:10 AM

View Postelsiekoh, on 19 January 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

Hmmm.. i saw flowers on them only when i left.. hope everything goes well.. but super big leaves.. so needs lots of water.. saw ur post on the drawf tomato seeds.. is there 1 pack reserved for me pls? :)/>/>

Yeah, I have reserved seeds for you in the tomato "Florida Basket" giveaway.

#14 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

Came back to my tomato plant totally dried out.. think my plant consumed around 750ml water in a week.. not a single drop of water left.. :(/> just top up water... hope they will survive.. :(/>

#15 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

View Postelsiekoh, on 24 January 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

Came back to my tomato plant totally dried out.. think my plant consumed around 750ml water in a week.. not a single drop of water left.. :(/>/> just top up water... hope they will survive.. :(/>/>

Ohhh.. so sorry about that. My water reservoir for tomatoes are all 1 litre at least, and fruiting plants drink a lot. The weather is very dry recently, they drink even more.

#16 User is offline   elsiekoh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

View Poststhh, on 24 January 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

Ohhh.. so sorry about that. My water reservoir for tomatoes are all 1 litre at least, and fruiting plants drink a lot. The weather is very dry recently, they drink even more.

yah... I think the weather is way too hot.. and the plants get the noon sun.. I hope the plant can survive.. so many flowers wasted coz no pollination.. haiz.. but I saw around 4 fruits! really hope they can survive... the roots look really dry and they turn yellowish.. u think still got hope?

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/elsie40/Mobile%20Uploads/CYMERA_20150124_215639_zps5b64433f.jpg

#17 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:18 AM

U got whiten flies problem. U can use neem oil.

#18 User is offline   sthh 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

View Postelsiekoh, on 24 January 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

yah... I think the weather is way too hot.. and the plants get the noon sun.. I hope the plant can survive.. so many flowers wasted coz no pollination.. haiz.. but I saw around 4 fruits! really hope they can survive... the roots look really dry and they turn yellowish.. u think still got hope?

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/elsie40/Mobile%20Uploads/CYMERA_20150124_215639_zps5b64433f.jpg

Looking at your tomato plant, it looks none the worst. The leaves, the fruits all looks fine.
New roots will grow in no time.
Afterall, tomatoes are tenacious plants.

One easy way to get rid of white flies or spider mites problem in hydroponics is to take out the net pot with the plant, and shower the entire plant, and underside of the leaves. For more persistent pest, turn the shower head to powerful blast.
It will wash away any pest, and if the problem persist, shower it for few days. No pesticide needed.

#19 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

View Poststhh, on 25 January 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Looking at your tomato plant, it looks none the worst. The leaves, the fruits all looks fine.
New roots will grow in no time.
Afterall, tomatoes are tenacious plants.

One easy way to get rid of white flies or spider mites problem in hydroponics is to take out the net pot with the plant, and shower the entire plant, and underside of the leaves. For more persistent pest, turn the shower head to powerful blast.
It will wash away any pest, and if the problem persist, shower it for few days. No pesticide needed.

I agree your tomato plant looks fine, they are a tough plant to kill.

#20 User is offline   CatNipLover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening, molesting cats, youtuber, online games, sleep etc

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

My tomato plant died becos I itchy hand shift here and there. I believe your tomato plant will be back to normal! My tomato seedlings appears worse than yours. Their leaves totally sagged, wrinkled as their roots were not touching the solution. Yes!! Tomato plant drink alot of water! After I top up the water, the plant return back to normal within an hour.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users