Grape vine help

#1 User is offline   brendali 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Diving, reading and gardening

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s435/brendali22/imagejpg1-3.jpg

Sometime back, I bought a grafted grapevine from FEF. I was told to put to partial shade.. The leaves turned yellow. I moved to the sun the leaves and vines dried up and drop off totally. I moved back to shade even tho it was barren hoping that it will revived, but the main stem shriveled up. I decided to uproot it then. But before I threw, I examined the plant and found this branch to be green beneath the brown bark. So I tried my luck again. Voila... This baby came back!

But this is not grafted anymore... I know it is not easy to grow grapes in our climate. So I would really appreciate any tips from the experience growers to help me keep this growing... PLEASSEEEE!

#2 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:09 PM

it is still consider as grafted as not seed grown. You have to change it to a well drained mix.

#3 User is offline   mosses 

• Pip

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:44 AM

Actually grapes are easy to grow in our climate I had one bought frm wf fruited after 1 yr but was sour so recently got another sweet variety so far doing well

#4 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:40 AM

Keep me informed as I once grew a grapevine in Penang Malaysia it grew very tall but did not fruit and died after about one year.
Grape vines usually die back in the winter, where they are pruned back to a more suitable size, and then come alive in the spring with new leaves and bunches of baby grapes and so the cycle grows.
I grow grapes in Brisbane which are a tropical variety, but still go through a die back phase each year.
So you may be pulling up a grape vine plant that is going through a dormant phase, and not dead at all.

#5 User is offline   brendali 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

View Postmosses, on 26 December 2014 - 12:44 AM, said:

Actually grapes are easy to grow in our climate I had one bought frm wf fruited after 1 yr but was sour so recently got another sweet variety so far doing well

Can I know where did you get yours that the people there will know if it is a sweet variety? The place where I bought mine have no idea what grapes it was. I'm thinking of getting a pot for my community garden.

#6 User is offline   digitalgate 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:45 PM

Not recommend for a community garden as it is too much work to start with . Well drain and fertile soil .

#7 User is offline   brendali 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

View Postdigitalgate, on 31 December 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

Not recommend for a community garden as it is too much work to start with . Well drain and fertile soil .

Oops... Haha. Then I better concentrate on my little don't know what grapes to survive first.

#8 User is offline   Wisteria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

View Postmosses, on 26 December 2014 - 12:44 AM, said:

photo from internet:
http://www.academiadovinho.com.br/videira/folhas.jpg

mosses, is the leaf shape of your plant from WF that produces sour grapes similar to the leaf on the left? Is the leaf shape of your sweet grape variety similar to the leaf on the right? Thanks.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users