• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Plant, moss, bonsai, etc

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

View Postlimhf, on 22 May 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

Hi Lim San,

what is IBE?

I also bought a packet of Horti Strawberry Temptation seed but hesitant to plant them, still unopened packet.

Hi Limhf,

IBE = Indonesian Burnt Earth (those red colour soil commonly available in our local nursery)

I felt that using seeds starter block (those circular peat moss block) is most convenient considering to grow them in soil later.

The seeds have shelf life, sow it soonest. Seeds kept for too long (~1yr) will have low germination rate. If the seeds are >2 years, it is good only to feed birds :hysterical:/>

This post has been edited by LimSan: 23 May 2015 - 12:29 AM

#62 User is offline   limhf 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

Hi LimSan,

where do you get the seeds starter block? I only know of Horti jiffy plant starter. which is a little expensive. But for very delicate seeds I guess it is worth it.

#63 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

View Postlimhf, on 22 May 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Hi LimSan,

where do you get the seeds starter block? I only know of Horti jiffy plant starter. which is a little expensive. But for very delicate seeds I guess it is worth it.

I mean the jiffy plant starter block you've mention. I agree that it is very expensive nowadays, I think NTUC is selling at around $6 for a 8 block pack. I used it for the above strawberry plant, that was bought many many years ago which was not expensive then. But it is really easy & convenient.

This post has been edited by LimSan: 04 June 2015 - 01:13 AM

#64 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

Hi Limhf,

You can also try grow the Horti Temptation Strawberry hydroponically!

I've sown one seed 66 days back and here is the update.
growth development

Day 66
http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpseuqmecdn.jpg

#65 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

You are to be complimented as growing from seeds can take up to one year to produce flower and fruit you must have a green finger of strawberry success.
The best thing about strawberries is that they produce lots of runners which in turn can be replanted so within a year you can actually have dozens of new plants, which is very exciting and they do not take up a lot of space,
Friends love getting a plant to put on their window sill and have fruits to eat and see the lovely flowers.
PS I have found that strawberries do not like getting their crowns wet so I water on the side of the pot.

This post has been edited by Robert1943: 22 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

#66 User is offline   furret 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostLimSan, on 21 May 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Erm sorry, I have no idea what is "pollination time", mind to enlighten me?

The time of the day which your poillination will be the most effective,almost ensuring the setting of fruit... I think haha

#67 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

View PostRobert1943, on 22 May 2015 - 07:41 PM, said:

You are to be complimented as growing from seeds can take up to one year to produce flower and fruit you must have a green finger of strawberry success.
The best thing about strawberries is that they produce lots of runners which in turn can be replanted so within a year you can actually have dozens of new plants, which is very exciting and they do not take up a lot of space,
Friends love getting a plant to put on their window sill and have fruits to eat and see the lovely flowers.
PS I have found that strawberries do not like getting their crowns wet so I water on the side of the pot.

Hahahaa... Thank you, thank you. I suspect it's the recent abnormally warm.. should be scorching weather that 'force' them to bloom.. That strawberry plantlet did not get any direct sunlight until about 1 month back there is a stream of sunlight started to shine into my balcony which only then they get about an hour of afternoon sunlight. Hence, that could be the cause to 'force' them to flower.

I've observed that this strawberry plantlet can only produce very short runners (My link #51). Since then, I've level up the soil to cover the short runner's root and hope it will establish as a new plantlet later.

#68 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

View Postfurret, on 22 May 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

The time of the day which your poillination will be the most effective,almost ensuring the setting of fruit... I think haha

Arr.. I see, thank you furret.
Have come across few articles mention that it is best to pollinate during dry/warm period of the day so that the pollen can be easily transfered. So I reckon that's the 'pollination time'.

#69 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostLimSan, on 22 May 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

Hahahaa... Thank you, thank you. I suspect it's the recent abnormally warm.. should be scorching weather that 'force' them to bloom.. That strawberry plantlet did not get any direct sunlight until about 1 month back there is a stream of sunlight started to shine into my balcony which only then they get about an hour of afternoon sunlight. Hence, that could be the cause to 'force' them to flower.

I've observed that this strawberry plantlet can only produce very short runners (My link #51). Since then, I've level up the soil to cover the short runner's root and hope it will establish as a new plantlet later.

I do the same with runners plus when they get longer I put a small plastic bag around the bottom and close off with a clothes peg and keep damp, so when the roots grow down into the small bag I snip off and replant.
PS If you leave a little longer the runners will definitely grow longer.
From one runner you can get two or three or more new plants from the one runner, multiply that with the number of runners and you have dozens of new plants.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20150403_1526361_zpsonpjhcif.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141215_1604401_zpsb7a84224.jpg

This post has been edited by Robert1943: 23 May 2015 - 08:05 AM

#70 User is offline   SalmanTropical 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Subtropical plants and love all plants

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

Hi Robert,
What are the temperatures there as your strawberry plants continue to grow?

Salman

#71 User is offline   Robert1943 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
    Helping others.

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

View PostSalmanTropical, on 23 May 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

Hi Robert,
What are the temperatures there as your strawberry plants continue to grow?

Salman

The current temperature is about 25c during the day and about 15c at night which is coming into our winter. Keep in mind that in Queensland we live in the sub tropics so the temperatures in a lot of our seasons is about 32-35C and about 20c at night.
We have had torrential rain and temperatures into the high 30s eg 38/39c with high humidity and the strawberries have done well in the cool and the heat. I have found that strawberries do not like wet feet so infrequent watering is preferred plus the top of the strawberry crown does not like being too wet or it will rot and the plant die.
In short don't let the temperature be your guide rather the way you water and keep the plant crown dry, that is why I water on the side of the pot and not directly onto to plant.
If you grow using the Kratky method as many Singaporeans do , keep changing the water weekly and keep the roots sufficiently open to take up the oxygen around them or again they will drown, rot and die.
I have grown by several methods eg , Kratky, Deep Water Culture , Ebb and flow ( Flood and drain) the drip system, and using a vertical tower.
All have had success but each method needs to studied closely, but to repeat myself do not overwater or keep the roots too submerged if using a non aerated method.
(1) Aeration (Deep water culture) DWC The plant tops remain remain dry while the roots are in the nutrient solution
(2) timer in between watering ( both Ebb and flow, and drip system) eg plants have a time to have air around the roots.
(3) draining intervals with the vertical tower .
PS I do not like using sponge as it tends to keep wet , and rot can creep in, so allowing a time to semi dry is what I use on my vertical strawberry garden, eg nutrient flows in from the top and has its downward descent and allows the plant to take up the nutrients and in between waterings semi dry out.
I hope some of these points are of help and can point you in the direction you feel comfortable doing.

This post has been edited by Robert1943: 23 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

#72 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

View PostLimSan, on 21 May 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

Woohoo... this strawberry has finally flower!! Just spotted 2 flowers: one clamped in between the leaves stalk :unsure:/> ; while the other grow a new bud on its stalk!

Could it possibly a runner? Hope it is so I can propagate it later :hysterical:/>

Also, anyone know how long would a strawberry flower last before it become fruit?

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/Day%20135_zpsp9jqmdbv.jpg

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/May%2021%202015%2052527%20PM_zpsotifstj3.jpg

The first 2 strawberry flowers has withered after 2 days of bloom. And something is very exciting going on there!!! Getting excited!

What's next?!? that bud on the flower stalk had sprouted the 3rd flower, and looks like the bud is doing more.. :rolleyes:/>

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdafgwchv.jpg

#73 User is offline   SalmanTropical 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

These are alpine strawberries, they are small but intensely sweet and grow well in our climate

Salman

#74 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:32 PM

View PostSalmanTropical, on 25 May 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

These are alpine strawberries, they are small but intensely sweet and grow well in our climate

Salman

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks Salman.

I've googled this 'Temptation' Srawberry cultivar and learn that they are belong to ever-bearing type (regular flowering & fruiting whole year round but at small quantity). They are almost runnerless. The fruits are moderate size, intensely flavour & sweet.

I'm still toggling if to sow more of the Horti Temptation seeds, as I'm currently experimenting a dozen of hydroponic tomatoes which has already taking up much space, care & time.. :hitmyself:/>

This post has been edited by LimSan: 26 May 2015 - 11:32 PM

#75 User is offline   SalmanTropical 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:47 PM

Yup that is true.
Please update us on when they fruits ripen and how they taste

Salman

#76 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:56 PM

View PostLimSan, on 25 May 2015 - 05:34 PM, said:

The first 2 strawberry flowers has withered after 2 days of bloom. And something is very exciting going on there!!! Getting excited!

What's next?!? that bud on the flower stalk had sprouted the 3rd flower, and looks like the bud is doing more.. :rolleyes:/>/>

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag294/AhLimSan/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdafgwchv.jpg

Woohoo! Interesting. Never know strawberries can grow in Singapore.

#77 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:46 AM

View PostGraceS, on 29 May 2015 - 10:56 PM, said:

Woohoo! Interesting. Never know strawberries can grow in Singapore.

Yeah, me too! Never did I expect it could come so far from a little seed! It has grown well in indirect light until the recent 1 hour afternoon sunlight cause several of its larger leafs to turn brown/burnt quickly! But new smaller leafs start to emerge, which I supposed nature is taking its course!
This 144 days old plantlet grown on soil, started from a little Horti Temptation Strawberry seed, has already put out 4 flowers (bloomed & withered, and now hoping it will bear strawberries soon) and 5th flower buds is forming...
I have not feed any fertilizer to it yet, worry that I might rock the boat, dilemma :hitmyself:/>

This post has been edited by LimSan: 31 May 2015 - 01:48 AM

#78 User is offline   SalmanTropical 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

So any updates on the fruits?

Salman

#79 User is offline   LimSan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:27 PM

View PostSalmanTropical, on 24 June 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

So any updates on the fruits?

Salman

Well, currently it has just finished bloom its 12th flower.

Last week the first 2 flowers didn't do well as it seems to dry-up, which I shifted it into study room to enjoy few hours of aircon when I'm in there. It was exposed to 2 hours of sunlight through the glass window. Still, over a week 2 more dried up... hence I'm thinking should I shift it back to my balcony.. hmmm.. any suggestion?

Btw, gonna feed it with Potash Alum later...

This post has been edited by LimSan: 24 June 2015 - 09:28 PM

#80 User is offline   ixus 

• PipPip

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

Started my journey again with growing strawberry from seeds in Singapore.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xBZvvPfzKJA/V3sgFIZqupI/AAAAAAAACeI/bxO5YrRvujw5363ZWu9QJTkksxnGxdGmwCLcB/s320/IMG_2687.JPG

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users