My Learning Garden

#141 User is offline   Hupsusie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Edible plants and herbs. Cactus n succulents

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostGraceS, on 16 April 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

For the past 5 days, I have collected one male pumpkin flower a day. Today, I have bagged two male ones. Initially, I was grumbling why this plant keep producing male flowers. Today, I realised that it is a blessing because I have collected 7 blooms to make pumpkin flower tempura. The taste is so mild and crispy when dipped in tempura flour that even my fussy eater can eat them. Looks like I will continue to get male blooms for the next 1 week

Try freezing the male flowers. Then when u get a female flower, you can hand pollinate.

#142 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:07 PM

View PostHupsusie, on 17 April 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

Try freezing the male flowers. Then when u get a female flower, you can hand pollinate.

U mean it can kept in the Freezer compartment? I keep mne in the fruits and vegetables compartment to wait for THE DAY.

#143 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:17 PM

View PostGreyfingers, on 17 April 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

Would the plant have more braches if you cut of the main stem? That way more stems would grow more fruits? I'm just thinking.

Spicy prawn. Yes I finally got my local original chilli paid seeds. Hope they will do well.

Saw some YouTube videos which recommended cutting the stem to encourage branching out while some suggested not to cut the top when it is fruiting. Since this is my first fruiting baobei, I'll let it be.

Just cut off the top from my third plant which did not have any flower buds to see if it will produce more ladies fingers although this will slow the production. Heart pain!

This post has been edited by GraceS: 19 April 2016 - 10:14 AM

#144 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:47 PM

The pumkin vine on the makeshift trellis is still producing male flowers while the flower buds on the vine crawling on the floor keep dropping off. The latter has not prduced a single flower todate although it is more than 4m long. Both vines were grown at the same time in separate same sized pot at the same location. I suspect that the one on the ground suffers from high temperature heat stress while the one on the trellis is partially shaded as it climbs up. Any experience to share?

#145 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

I was too slow to dehydrate the pumkin seeds after washing them and more than 100 has sprouted. I would only have space for one more plant and plan to stir fry those two leave seedlings. Anyone tried cooking the seedlings and does it taste nice? I have only read about people eating pumpkin sprouts but not seedlings.

#146 User is offline   Hupsusie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Edible plants and herbs. Cactus n succulents

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

View PostGraceS, on 17 April 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:

U mean it can kept in the Freezer compartment? I keep mne in the fruits and vegetables compartment to wait for THE DAY.

Yes. I have friends who kept in freezer n sucessfully pollinated the female flowers

#147 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostGraceS, on 20 April 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

I was too slow to dehydrate the pumkin seeds after washing them and more than 100 has sprouted. I would only have space for one more plant and plan to stir fry those two leave seedlings. Anyone tried cooking the seedlings and does it taste nice? I have only read about people eating pumpkin sprouts but not seedlings.

Cooked one seedling with 2 seed leaves and it tastes bitter. Guess it is better to leave them alone to continue to grow more true leaves before eating their leaves.

#148 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

View PostGraceS, on 17 April 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

Saw some YouTube videos which recommended cutting the stem to encourage branching out while some suggested not to cut the top when it is fruiting. Since this is my first fruiting baobei, I'll let it be.

Just cut off the top from my third plant which did not have any flower buds to see if it will produce more ladies fingers although this will slow the production. Heart pain!

New growth has appeared on my third plant at a node below where it was cut. I have topped my second plant a day later because the ants have taken a liking to this plant and caused damage to the flower buds. No new growth was observed on this plant.

#149 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:15 PM

My second plant which was topped now has 3 side shoots compared to 1 tiny side shoot on the plant which was not topped. Hopefully, the topped plant will yield more okra to compensate for delayed production.

#150 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

What is this insect on my okra?
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/graces10/camera_2016-03-10_10-12-16_zpss7jzvnqc.jpg

#151 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

What is this insect on my okra?
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/graces10/camera_2016-03-10_10-12-16_zpss7jzvnqc.jpg

A tiny ladybug on my okra
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/graces10/camera_2016-05-11_20-55-35_zps1rmkdlkb.jpg

#152 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:02 PM

View PostGraceS, on 21 April 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Cooked one seedling with 2 seed leaves and it tastes bitter. Guess it is better to leave them alone to continue to grow more true leaves before eating their leaves.

I have composted half of the germinated seedlings and grown the rest in pots and via hydroponics. The latter is doing quite well. Once a week, I would cut some true leaves from the young plants and male flowers from my existing plants to do stir fries with bean sprout, fresh mushrooms or other vegetables. They taste tender and nice (small hairs need to be removed) and even my fussy eater can eat them. I am resigned to not getting any pumpkins from 2 of my mature plants due to the absence of female flowers (not sure why). I will now focus on growing the pumpkin plant for young shoots and flowers to eat. A good addition to my expanding small edible garden.

This post has been edited by GraceS: 19 May 2016 - 11:04 PM

#153 User is offline   GraceS 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

Gave up on growing pumpkins. They need a lot of space. It was an interesting science project and learning experience.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users