GCS Forum: My hydroponically grown veg - GCS Forum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

My hydroponically grown veg

#1 User is offline   kaysquare 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 09-October 14

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

I decided to start a new thread so as not to disturb sthh's journal.

My originally Xiao bai chye have been harvested! They looked a little small compared to those in the markets, but the comfort is that it is pesticide free and I grew it myself! Extra sweet extra crunchy!

I grew them for more than 40 days.. Those leaves at the bottom were turning yellow so I guess I overstayed my welcome :(/>

This was posted 2 weeks back in sthh's thread
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/LeoInThought/Hydroponic%20set%20up/xbc2_zps0b96e173.jpg

After the harvest
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/LeoInThought/Hydroponic%20set%20up/IMG-20141019-01025_zps00a2e20c.jpg
0

#2 User is offline   kaysquare 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 09-October 14

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

Here's my 2nd attempt at growing.

This is chye sim and it was planted 2 weeks back on 5 Oct. They germinated quickly and this is the photo taken today

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/LeoInThought/Hydroponic%20set%20up/IMG-20141022-01029_zpsd8ff8e8a.jpg

This post has been edited by kaysquare: 22 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

0

#3 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

View Postkaysquare, on 22 October 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

I decided to start a new thread so as not to disturb sthh's journal.

My originally Xiao bai chye have been harvested! They looked a little small compared to those in the markets, but the comfort is that it is pesticide free and I grew it myself! Extra sweet extra crunchy!

I grew them for more than 40 days.. Those leaves at the bottom were turning yellow so I guess I overstayed my welcome :(/>/>

This was posted 2 weeks back in sthh's thread
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/LeoInThought/Hydroponic%20set%20up/xbc2_zps0b96e173.jpg

After the harvest
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/LeoInThought/Hydroponic%20set%20up/IMG-20141019-01025_zps00a2e20c.jpg


You will be surprised how much they can grow in a few days. If you leave them till 50 days old, they will be much bigger plants. Te leaves at the bottom are probably the first few old leaves, so it's normal for them to turn yellow. I took a picture of my 40 days old nai bai and my 49 days old nai bai. Difference in size is quite apparent.
0

#4 User is offline   keff 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 579
  • Joined: 30-July 12
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

View Poststhh, on 22 October 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

You will be surprised how much they can grow in a few days. If you leave them till 50 days old, they will be much bigger plants. Te leaves at the bottom are probably the first few old leaves, so it's normal for them to turn yellow. I took a picture of my 40 days old nai bai and my 49 days old nai bai. Difference in size is quite apparent.


Did you let them grow to flowering size? And if so, did they produce viable seed? It would be nice to make one complete life cycle!
0

#5 User is offline   kaysquare 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 09-October 14

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

Hi all,

Have a question.. My veg (chye sim and Xiao bai chye) are infested with ants. Meaning that ants are just crawling up and down the plants and they seem to be carrying something away. Its as if I spilt sugar and the ants are swarming down.. What is going on with the ants?

Thanks!
0

#6 User is offline   Jesse 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 173
  • Joined: 06-April 09

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

Any white furry stuffs below the leaves?
0

#7 User is offline   kaysquare 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 09-October 14

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostJesse, on 21 November 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Any white furry stuffs below the leaves?

Hi Jesse,
No there is nothing furry or white on the underside. It is moist and tender.. But the ants have been mainly specifically running up and down 2 of my veggie..

Couldn't stand it so I harvested early.. I need to work on eliminating the ants..
0

#8 User is offline   Robert1943 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 492
  • Joined: 04-June 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane Australia
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

View Postkaysquare, on 21 November 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Hi Jesse,
No there is nothing furry or white on the underside. It is moist and tender.. But the ants have been mainly specifically running up and down 2 of my veggie..

Couldn't stand it so I harvested early.. I need to work on eliminating the ants..


I had the same on my celery plants and when I looked closer the ants were following secretions and sometimes ants will bring diseases to the plant , as ants love anything sweet and the host problem could be scale which secretes a nectar and the ants go mad in swarms
You can spray with eco oil or Pyretherum natural sprays which will stop them immediately and you can still eat the plants safely.
I also have a Chiku tree with the same problems with thousands of ants wanting the nectar from the fruit I sprayed with the same success as I did with my lime tree with the same problems,
Ants will follow wherever there is some form of attractant which can be scale or other related problems which attract ants by their sweet secretions.
This in turn on fruit trees will make black sooty mould on the leaves which is the extricia of the scale , this can also be controlled by Eco Oil sprays which suffocate the scale or other disease problem and gets rid of the ants also.
Think of the poor farmers who have to put up with this on a huge scale.

Another way of getting rid of ants is to make a paste 3 tablespoons of icing sugar, 3 tablespoons of baking powder and 3 tablespoons of water, mix into a paste put into a lid from a jar and watch the little devils come in their thousands. How it works is that icing sugar is very fine and when mixed with the baking powder cannot be separated this causes them to have gas build up and unlike humans we can expel , the ants cannot and it blows them up after they have returned to their nests.But they do die with a smile on their faces .
0

#9 User is offline   kaysquare 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 09-October 14

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for the tip Robert! I'll try it out!
0

#10 User is offline   JeffL 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 13-March 12

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

pardon my ignorance. I am also interested in hydroponics but how do we prevent mosquito breeding? Does vegetables need strong sunlight? My HDB corridor is pretty dim
0

#11 User is offline   Robert1943 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 492
  • Joined: 04-June 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane Australia
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostJeffL, on 24 December 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

pardon my ignorance. I am also interested in hydroponics but how do we prevent mosquito breeding? Does vegetables need strong sunlight? My HDB corridor is pretty dim


You can grow inside with grow lights , the fluoro lights work well with seedlings and lettuce but as the plants grow larger they need extra light, check with some people on this forum in Singapore who have had success.
I find if you plant in an area where outside light is a distance away the plants will get long and leggy, as I have seen a couple on this forum as the plants will stretch to see the sunlight, i think it is better to grow under lights where natural sunlight is at a bare minimum. Again I ask any one on this forum in Singapore to help this person.

To answer your question only use black or opaque containers or cover in black plastic to achieve the same effect.
I wish I had taken a photo of my garage hydroponic setup, for which I used an old fish tank (clear glass) as my reservoir and had a black plastic tray on top with my plants\, and grow lights above.
Not only did the water go cloudy and smelly , but it had a lot of mosquito larvae wriggling around in my tank, I tried adding a little kerosene on the top to smother the larvae and it worked but the tank stank and the water went very cloudy and my plants died.
I took the fish tank outside and covered it in black plastic and all is well no problems at all after all these months, even in full sunlight.
The bottom line analogy is : In hydroponics they say have an opaque or non sunlight finish eg paint black or get a black container and problems solved.
I have seen on this forum some people using clear plastic bottles, which will eventually make the solution go bad and also impede the growth of the plant.
An analogy I have used several times on this forum, if you had a fish tank and id not add chlorine, or had a fish pump , that within only a few days it would go bad, and the fish would die.
As they say life is a continual learning curve.

This post has been edited by Robert1943: 24 December 2014 - 12:03 PM

0

#12 User is offline   sthh 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1862
  • Joined: 13-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sembawang

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostJeffL, on 24 December 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

pardon my ignorance. I am also interested in hydroponics but how do we prevent mosquito breeding? Does vegetables need strong sunlight? My HDB corridor is pretty dim


Growing plants with hydroponics can be very easy.
There are quite many ways to prevent mosquito breeding.
If you grow your plants in net pots sitting in very fitted containers, it is very difficult for mosquitoes to find their ways into the containers to breed. And you can easily monitor your containers, mosquitoes larvae usually need 7 days or more to mature, so a weekly check if more than sufficient.

There was once I tried to breed mosquito larvae to feed my fishes, they do not do well in nutrient rich solution. So I don't think they will want to breed in hydroponics as a first choice, lol.

However, adequate light is always a problem for apartment growing, be it hydroponics or soil. You will have to know your environment, and find out if any sunlight is available, and during which hours.
Most vegetables require good light to grow well, otherwise they will grow leggy and weak. Maybe start with some herbs first, in your brightest area, and see how they perform.

This post has been edited by sthh: 24 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

0

#13 User is offline   JeffL 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 13-March 12

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostRobert1943, on 24 December 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

You can grow inside with grow lights , the fluoro lights work well with seedlings and lettuce but as the plants grow larger they need extra light, check with some people on this forum in Singapore who have had success.
I find if you plant in an area where outside light is a distance away the plants will get long and leggy, as I have seen a couple on this forum as the plants will stretch to see the sunlight, i think it is better to grow under lights where natural sunlight is at a bare minimum. Again I ask any one on this forum in Singapore to help this person.

To answer your question only use black or opaque containers or cover in black plastic to achieve the same effect.
I wish I had taken a photo of my garage hydroponic setup, for which I used an old fish tank (clear glass) as my reservoir and had a black plastic tray on top with my plants\, and grow lights above.
Not only did the water go cloudy and smelly , but it had a lot of mosquito larvae wriggling around in my tank, I tried adding a little kerosene on the top to smother the larvae and it worked but the tank stank and the water went very cloudy and my plants died.
I took the fish tank outside and covered it in black plastic and all is well no problems at all after all these months, even in full sunlight.
The bottom line analogy is : In hydroponics they say have an opaque or non sunlight finish eg paint black or get a black container and problems solved.
I have seen on this forum some people using clear plastic bottles, which will eventually make the solution go bad and also impede the growth of the plant.
An analogy I have used several times on this forum, if you had a fish tank and id not add chlorine, or had a fish pump , that within only a few days it would go bad, and the fish would die.
As they say life is a continual learning curve.



View Poststhh, on 24 December 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Growing plants with hydroponics can be very easy.
There are quite many ways to prevent mosquito breeding.
If you grow your plants in net pots sitting in very fitted containers, it is very difficult for mosquitoes to find their ways into the containers to breed. And you can easily monitor your containers, mosquitoes larvae usually need 7 days or more to mature, so a weekly check if more than sufficient.

There was once I tried to breed mosquito larvae to feed my fishes, they do not do well in nutrient rich solution. So I don't think they will want to breed in hydroponics as a first choice, lol.

However, adequate light is always a problem for apartment growing, be it hydroponics or soil. You will have to know your environment, and find out if any sunlight is available, and during which hours.
Most vegetables require good light to grow well, otherwise they will grow leggy and weak. Maybe start with some herbs first, in your brightest area, and see how they perform.



Thank you both, I went over to Oh farm on the same day I posted this question and bought a small $5 starter kit to try it out. I selected nai bai but the packaging states white crown I hope it is correct. Anyway as of this morning, the seed has sprouted and I guess the condition at the spot is ok.

So the container must be opaque? I found this in Taobao and wanted to buy. The bottom isn't opaque...
http://gd1.alicdn.com/imgextra/i1/915390256/T2YuMIXOXXXXXXXXXX-915390256.jpg
0

#14 User is offline   Robert1943 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 492
  • Joined: 04-June 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brisbane Australia
  • Interests:Hydroponic Gardening , Boating, fishing, travelling the world, eating, driving my Nissan Silvia turbo coupe, Rotary Club, Red Cross Emergency Services Volunteer.
    Helping others.

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hi JeffL, I am not a guru or so full of myself to say what I do is correct, but since 1975 I have been growing hydroponically both in a southern Australian state, and for the last 32 years in a northern state which is sub tropical.
One in the southern state that had to be grown in the winter under lights plus heating now in the sub tropics in the mid 30's rain storm and humidity I have learnt from trial and error to stick to the fundamentals.
The following are visuals which may offer an answer.
Strawberries Kratky method no pumps electricity etc
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141120_131546_zps4e429439.jpg
My vertical garden nutrients hooked up to my ebb and flow pump and timer
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20140603_143853_zps162765e6.jpg

Strawberries using an old fish tank Drip flow system
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141229_1228141_zps43bcdd9c.jpg

Young tomato plant in painted clear container
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141229_1227581_zps6bf0861f.jpg

Kang Kong in DWC ( Deep water Culture
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141216_1431341_zps37023333.jpg

5 tubs Ebb and flow with young seedlings
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141216_1119361_zps1412eed0.jpg

A few containers with DWC (deep water culture) bok choy-lettuce seedlings-chilli seedling- egg plant
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/kangaroo9/Hydroponics/20141229_1227341_zpsda2aed1d.jpg

There are many ways to grow plants and seedlings will grow in a clear container like the image you have shown , I even start my kang kong cuttings in a bowl of clear water and plant when sufficient roots but not suitable for adult plants.
Sorry to say so much to make my comment.

This post has been edited by Robert1943: 29 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users